Portland Works, Randall Street

Stuart0742

Guest swagman

Well I attended the meeting on Wednesday night. Not quite what I expected but -

Present were a local councilor, a member of Sharrow action Group and a number of the tenants. The idea of the meeting was to try to organise some cohesion between interested parties so as to present a more unified voice for the objections. It was also explained how these things work and basically what grounds for objection would or would not be considered. All in all it seems we're nearly on the first rung of quite a long ladder. The good news is that there's very little chance of it being razed to the ground. The bad news (for us as tenants) is that there's no way the owners are going to carry on taking low rents for these dilapidated units when there's a chance of making more money by making alterations. (of any type that they can get accepted) It seems they're pretty on the ball with things as they've submitted some outrageous plans, probably just to test the waters. Now we hear they've withdrawn them just when people have spent time and money raising their objections. this means The process starts again. It seems they've been there before and know all the dodges.

So at the moment there's nothing - officially - to object to but we're going ahead with getting organised for when the next stage arrives. Sharrow Action are setting up some sort of website so people can keep in touch, and sending us all information as to what how and when we proceed. When things are sorted I'll be asking for as many letters of objection (to whatever we find we have to object to) as possible.

I've inserted a copy of one of the letters from the main tenants which outlines some of the importance of keeping this place for industrial use.

Hi Vox. In the submission it mentions that a small group of you still produce tools for the building trade. What type of tools do you make , and also do you have a trading name.

Vox, do you have any knowledge of a tool manufacturer called Robinson Hall , Made in Sheffield. They dealt in joinery tools such as chisels, scribes, spokeshaves, and so on.

Thanks, Swagman.

Hi Vox. In the submission it mentions that a small group of you still produce tools for the building trade. What type of tools do you make , and also do you have a trading name.

Vox, do you have any knowledge of a tool manufacturer called Robinson Hall , Made in Sheffield. They dealt in joinery tools such as chisels, scribes, spokeshaves, and so on.

Thanks, Swagman.

I've been following your other post re Robinson Hall, Swagman.

Nothing to add I'm afraid.

I'm not in engineering any more, that was many years ago. I rent a small unit at Portland for other purposes.

Here's the website of Wigfull Tools. It shows all their products plus a little history.

Wigfull Tools

Guest swagman

I've been following your other post re Robinson Hall, Swagman.

Nothing to add I'm afraid.

I'm not in engineering any more, that was many years ago. I rent a small unit at Portland for other purposes.

Here's the website of Wigfull Tools. It shows all their products plus a little history.

Wigfull Tools

Hi Vox, thankyou for information provided. All the very best with trying to save Portland Works.

Swagman.

Thanks!

Yes, still using an old Saddle Grinder.

These places hold memories for me. I did my apprenticeship as a toolmaker at Footprint Tools in the 60's. As an apprentice in those days you were cannon fodder. They used to use us for more or less any job if they were short handed. Consequently I did plenty of labouring and general helping out in most of the different departments. I even did a week on the building site when they built the "new" extension. Then I went on to Surmanco for a few years before leaving the works for ever in the 70's. I think others will agree that you never forget the smell, a mixture of oil, Swarfega and hot metal. (Not an unpleasant smell to me personaly)

hi vox i also worked at footprint tools forthe last 33yrs i was a handgrinder i think we will know a few of the old workers such has lou priest on the spring hammer and harry armitage handgrinder

hi vox i also worked at footprint tools forthe last 33yrs i was a handgrinder i think we will know a few of the old workers such has lou priest on the spring hammer and harry armitage handgrinder

Well well - that's a couple of names I recognise.

Well well - that's a couple of names I recognise.

I spent the latter part of yesterday looking at the photos and reading about Portland Works, having served my apprenticeship at Firth Browns, working amidst the total destruction of all that history as it was erased I have seen and feel the need to preserve our heritage. I wish you the best of luck with your cause.

Just before I headed off to bed I suddenly realised my family had a link to Portland, and sure enough on looking at the 1911 census I found it. My grandfather Edwin Hoskings aged 17 and his brother Richard 15 were both listed as being cutlers at the Portland works. I went to bed very happy, imagining them having worked on the 1st ever stainless cutlery to have been made in 1913. lol

Richard went to the trenches and was lost in action at Arras in 1917, Edwin missed the war due to health problems and died after contracting gangrene in a leg wound after a motorbike accident in 1949. :mellow:

Planning consent has been refused to convert the Portland Works on Randall Street, a building of outstanding architectural and historical interest, into apartments and offices. The local authority received the most letters of objection ever.

The building was initially constructed in the late 1870's as one of Britain's first integrated cutlery works, and it was there that the first stainless steel was manufactured in Britain in 1913 by R. F. Mosley & Co.

Taken from The Yorkshire Post today.

Pressure is mounting for campaigners trying to save a Victorian cutlery works in Sheffield from being taken over by commercial developers. Those trying to protect the history of Portland Works, which still houses metal working businesses as well as artists and craftspeople, have until June to raise the remaining money which they will need to buy the Grade 2-listed building.

The Portland Works Campaign is now raising funds to buy the building as the current owner still wants to sell and needs to raise £400,000 by June. So far, £135,000 has been taken in share sales and loans have also been arranged, but the group still needs to find a further £250,000.

W/E.

Apparently it's to be featured on a BBC2 series next week called Britain's Heritage Heroes, presented by Jules Hudson and John Craven.

Programme goes out at 6.30 pm next Thursday (9th Feb)

John Craven and Jules Hudson will be visiting Sheffield today (9 February) being shown on BBC 2 at 6.30pm while 7pm. The series looks at projects which preserves the UK's heritage, as the two men tour around looking at threatned sites and those who are trying to save them.

John Craven and Jules Hudson will be visiting Sheffield today (9 February) being shown on BBC 2 at 6.30pm while 7pm. The series looks at projects which preserves the UK's heritage, as the two men tour around looking at threatned sites and those who are trying to save them.

They're looking at the scheme to save Portland Works.

Apparently it's to be featured on a BBC2 series next week called Britain's Heritage Heroes, presented by Jules Hudson and John Craven.

Programme goes out at 6.30 pm next Thursday (9th Feb)

Was on tonight, should be available shortly on BBC I Player

Thanks for the link Stuart. I hope many people that visit here have signed the petition to save a true bit of Shefields history.