Portland Works, Randall Street

Stuart0742

Portland Works on Randall St was the subject of a mystery location by "Vox", now its in the Star as developers threaten its future.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Flats-plan-3...irms.5005074.jp

Perhaps vox's mystery picture, and a few others of this building should be moved into the "threatened with demolition" thread. Lets have more pictures before the building is demolished and the area changes forever.

Perhaps vox's mystery picture, and a few others of this building should be moved into the "threatened with demolition" thread. Lets have more pictures before the building is demolished and the area changes forever.

Again, not very good quality photos, but I went down there today and took these. I believe this is one of the only firms left still manufacturing tools from start to finish, and one of the last in Sheffield still using Spring Hammers. There is a very real threat of the place becoming yet another complex of appartments. (Much needed in Shefield as we all know) I rent a unit in Portland Works and I'm going to the meeting at Community Hall, John St. on Wednesday evening.

Link to photobucket photos below

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/d...mview=slideshow

They fired the furnace up for me so I could do a short video with my phone as well.

Fantastic photographs Vox - I like the ones of the grinding wheel - the furnace reminds me of metalwork at school and my failure to master the art!

Fantastic photographs Vox - I like the ones of the grinding wheel - the furnace reminds me of metalwork at school and my faile to master the art!

Thanks!

Yes, still using an old Saddle Grinder.

These places hold memories for me. I did my apprenticeship as a toolmaker at Footprint Tools in the 60's. As an apprentice in those days you were cannon fodder. They used to use us for more or less any job if they were short handed. Consequently I did plenty of labouring and general helping out in most of the different departments. I even did a week on the building site when they built the "new" extension. Then I went on to Surmanco for a few years before leaving the works for ever in the 70's. I think others will agree that you never forget the smell, a mixture of oil, Swarfega and hot metal. (Not an unpleasant smell to me personaly)

Thanks!

Yes, still using an old Saddle Grinder.

These places hold memories for me. I did my apprenticeship as a toolmaker at Footprint Tools in the 60's. As an apprentice in those days you were cannon fodder. They used to use us for more or less any job if they were short handed. Consequently I did plenty of labouring and general helping out in most of the different departments. I even did a week on the building site when they built the "new" extension. Then I went on to Surmanco for a few years before leaving the works for ever in the 70's. I think others will agree that you never forget the smell, a mixture of oil, Swarfega and hot metal. (Not an unpleasant smell to me personaly)

Great photo's VOX, it would be a travesty if we lost this piece of Sheffield history for yet more unwanted apartments.

I agree with what you say about never forgetting a smell, I worked at BT for 30 years, the electro-mechanical exchanges (Strowger) had a unique smell, a mixture of grease, mineral oil and heat from thousands of relays and electro magnets, something I will not forget.

I went up Portland Bill lighthouse the other year, it had the same smell, again grease and mineral oil. Hard to explain really.

I'm just setting off to the meeting with those concerned. I'm not optomistic.

I'll report of course.

Well I attended the meeting on Wednesday night. Not quite what I expected but -

Present were a local councilor, a member of Sharrow action Group and a number of the tenants. The idea of the meeting was to try to organise some cohesion between interested parties so as to present a more unified voice for the objections. It was also explained how these things work and basically what grounds for objection would or would not be considered. All in all it seems we're nearly on the first rung of quite a long ladder. The good news is that there's very little chance of it being razed to the ground. The bad news (for us as tenants) is that there's no way the owners are going to carry on taking low rents for these dilapidated units when there's a chance of making more money by making alterations. (of any type that they can get accepted) It seems they're pretty on the ball with things as they've submitted some outrageous plans, probably just to test the waters. Now we hear they've withdrawn them just when people have spent time and money raising their objections. this means The process starts again. It seems they've been there before and know all the dodges.

So at the moment there's nothing - officially - to object to but we're going ahead with getting organised for when the next stage arrives. Sharrow Action are setting up some sort of website so people can keep in touch, and sending us all information as to what how and when we proceed. When things are sorted I'll be asking for as many letters of objection (to whatever we find we have to object to) as possible.

I've inserted a copy of one of the letters from the main tenants which outlines some of the importance of keeping this place for industrial use.

Planning consent has been refused to convert the Portland Works on Randall Street, a building of outstanding architectural and historical interest, into apartments and offices. The local authority received the most letters of objection ever.

The building was initially constructed in the late 1870's as one of Britain's first integrated cutlery works, and it was there that the first stainless steel was manufactured in Britain in 1913 by R. F. Mosley & Co.

Again, not very good quality photos, but I went down there today and took these. I believe this is one of the only firms left still manufacturing tools from start to finish, and one of the last in Sheffield still using Spring Hammers. There is a very real threat of the place becoming yet another complex of appartments. (Much needed in Shefield as we all know) I rent a unit in Portland Works and I'm going to the meeting at Community Hall, John St. on Wednesday evening.

Link to photobucket photos below

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/d...mview=slideshow

This place looks very familiar. The first job i ever had after school was at a company called "S Betts and son" (or similar maybe co? The firm was on the corner Randall/Hill st ? I beleave they later moved to the S4 area.

This place looks very familiar. The first job i ever had after school was at a company called "S Betts and son" (or similar maybe co? The firm was on the corner Randall/Hill st ? I beleave they later moved to the S4 area.

Looks like this is the firm OnlyMe

S Betts & Sons.

Guest mbyastroman

I thought there was a topic on here somwhere about the plight of portland works but can't find it through search. There is a petition in the castle market (lower ground art space) within the pictures of sheffield old and new exhibition. People have been saying that for one reason or another that they can't get down there to sign it so we have created an online petition for anyone who can't make it. Follow the link below.

saveportlandworks

Thanks for reading, Brian :)

I thought there was a topic on here somwhere about the plight of portland works but can't find it through search. There is a petition in the castle market (lower ground art space) within the pictures of sheffield old and new exhibition. People have been saying that for one reason or another that they can't get down there to sign it so we have created an online petition for anyone who can't make it. Follow the link below.

saveportlandworks

Been there, signed. Full support.

Guest 30_degrees

saveportlandworks

I've signed up too. I just hope the Council have learned from the past and preserve rather than sell out on yet more of our heritage sites. :angry:

Guest sc cutlers

I've signed up too. I just hope the Council have learned from the past and preserve rather than sell out on yet more of our heritage sites. :angry:

I have my workshop at Portland works and i am hoping that the Council listen to use with this petition we cant lose this building it holds so much history and it would be the end of my business and lots more, :( and Sheffield would lose even more of its cutlery heritage so whats left we need to keep. so everyone keep OBJECTING please ;-)

Guest mbyastroman

A very special person, Mr Joe Scarborough visited the pictures of sheffield old and new today and showed his support for the portland works plight by signing the petition, here's some shots :