Brammer, Brunt, Stagg, Whitham families

Guest lizzie81

Guest lizzie81

Hi All,

these are the names I am researching in the Sheffield area and would love to hear from anyone who is interested in the same families so maybe we could swap notes.

Liz

Hi All,

these are the names I am researching in the Sheffield area and would love to hear from anyone who is interested in the same families so maybe we could swap notes.

Liz

Brunt ? Brunt, you say. Gosh :rolleyes:

I'm a Brant, but the name gets back to Brunt, please PM me with more details - not quite sure how I'd get the information I have on Brant/Brunt to you - there is rather a lot - including 15,500 people of that name covering over 150 years. Gonna have to be a DVD via the post methinks.

Look forward to hearing from you.

You don't have my Great Grandfather George Arthur hidden in your airing cupboard do you ? lol

Guest lizzie81

Brunt ? Brunt, you say. Gosh :rolleyes:

I'm a Brant, but the name gets back to Brunt, please PM me with more details - not quite sure how I'd get the information I have on Brant/Brunt to you - there is rather a lot - including 15,500 people of that name covering over 150 years. Gonna have to be a DVD via the post methinks.

Look forward to hearing from you.

You don't have my Great Grandfather George Arthur hidden in your airing cupboard do you ? lol

Hi Richard B,

My earliest Brunt is William Inmam Brunt who was baptised in Rawmarsh in 1799. He married Sarah Broughton and they had at least 6 children including my great great grandfather Walter. I've no record of a George Arthur and as far as I'm aware I have no fusty old men in my cupboards!!!

Liz

Guest babybluejojo

Hiya

I haven't checked how old your post is but have come across it via a google search.

I am helping a friend trace her great grandfather. She has no details of him except a marriage certificate - the details which are as follows:-

Marriage Date 4 April 1904

Between

George Wood Age 21 5 Watkin Lane John Wood

Annie Elizabeth Brammer Age 19 5 Watkin Lane Edmund Brammer (poss Edward not Edmund)

I have researched and found Annie Elizabeth Brammer at Penistone Rd on the 1901 census but so far can find no further definate detail of George Wood's family.

I was wondering if you had any other details of this side of the family in your research - if so we would appreciate any info you can give me to pass onto my friend.

Thanking you in advance.

Jo

I am researching the Wood name too, I have the marriage of John Wood Occ Grinder to Elizabeth Powell in Leicester 22 May 1869, his father is Peter Occ Grinder.

I have found a set of military records for George putting him at Adelphi Street, father John then a second set that mentions Annie Elizabeth Brammer and children.

I don't have any certificates for George but the marriage certificate might fill the gaps. Elizabeth is as born Sheffield till later where she is from Leicester and the family live in Adelphi Street for quite sometime. I am sure they all connect looking at census returns as Peter seems to be a family name and following there trade also.

Hope you are still on here

Willsy

I don't know if you have the burial records from Burngreave Cemetery, transcribed at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

A couple of things from the newspapers:

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent

Sat 16 May 1843

MARRIAGES

On Tuesday, Mr Peter Wood, cutler, to Miss Martha Holmes [=12 May]

I am not sure if the following refers to your WOODs but I think it is possible. This is from a newspaper report of presentations made to Samuel Gray Richardson by his employees in September 1889, on the occasion of him being made Master Cutler. He was the owner of the firm of Southern and Richardson who owned the Don Cutlery Works in Doncaster Street.

One of those making speeches referred to examples of fathers and sons (and grandsons) who had worked for the company. The brief mention is...

"Peter Wood was associated with them for 33 years, and he left a son who had been at the Don Works 35 years, and three grandsons" (laughter and applause)

I note that in 1891 three of John and Elizabeth's four sons are in the cutlery trades.

The '35' is a problem though. Either it is a mistake or John started work very young (an apprentice?).

Or I could be completely wrong, and this could be a different family altogether (though it is striking how rare Peter was as a first name in the 19th century).

Hugh

Many thanks for the Wood reply, was thinking the same as they have a son Peter. I can tie the boys in as the miltary records match census returns and if only Elizabeth had put Leicester on all the returns!

I do have library access to the papers so i will look for the newspaper article, have found Peter's marriage there already, have a certifcate for Harriett Wood, daughter of Peter but I can't read the church, would i be able to post it here as I am not familiar with the area?

have a certifcate for Harriett Wood, daughter of Peter but I can't read the church, would i be able to post it here as I am not familiar with the area?

please do!

even without an image, the name of the minister (with the date of the marriage) might help.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh

Silly question, how do you post on here?

used to adding attachments but not quite worked it out on here, thought better to ask

The minsiter looks like James W Fish and they married 22 June 1873...the church looks like it finishes ...auths

John's marriage in Leicester has Peter father grinder as does Harriett, John Wood is a witness at Harriett's marriage

Having found more burials for the family, George as married Brammer, was living in High Road, Elizabeth his mother (married to John) died at that address

To post an image, go to the reply window below this message and click on 'More Reply Options'.

Below the resulting window is the tool for adding an image - click on 'browse' and find the image on your computer.

'Attach' the file. The filename will appear above. If you leave it like that it will automatically appear below your message,

Or you can click 'add to message(?)' so that the link appears in the body of your reply and you can move it about or put other text round it.

I can't immediately identify Jame W Fish, but I am sure it is possible.

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent

Saturday 28 jun 1873

In this context, 'Parish Church' means Sheffield Parish Church, ie SS Peter & Paul (now the Cathedral)

I think the middle initial of the minister must be an 'H' (despite what the newspaper has) as he was James Henry FISH, curate of the parish church. He wasn't in Sheffield long: in 1871 he was a curate in Doncaster and by the end of 1873 he had left Sheffield to be Vicar of a new church in Burton-onTrent.

Thanks Hugh, yes it is an H looking at it again.

I think more reply options was the only one I didn't try, laughing at myself right now as I attach lol

That does indeed say 'the parish church in the parish of Sheffield'. The 's' in the first 'parish' is over-large and looks like a 't'.

By the 1870s the parish of Sheffield had been divided into many parishes, so this wording is more or less obsolete, but they continued to call it 'Sheffield Parish Church' until it bcame the cathedral in 1914.