Ecclesfield Cinema House

Guest Dazza

Guest Dazza

Was at the bottom of the hill heading towards Chapeltown. I used to walk there with my mam to get her hair done in the hairdressers next to it, and I'm pretty sure there was a Poodle Parlour next door.

Was knocked down around the mid 60's but I've never seen any pics of it.

Welcome to the site Dazza. You see how easy it is to do a liitle research and find excellent information for others to share. That is a great link thanks.

Dazza - I have only joined the Forum today, and was really surprised to see someone had mentioned the Ecclesfield Cinema House. I know quite a bit about it - quite a lot really, so if you want to know anything - just ask. The hairdresser in one of the shops built into the front of the cinema, was in the 1960's a lady named Brenda Kenworthy. She remained there until a few months before the cinema was demolished in June 1970.

The Poodle Parlour, formerly a chip shop, built as a butcher's shop was further down The Common. I have seen your other thread regarding The Capitol and The Forum, in which you state that the Sheffield area had two Essoldo cinemas. Actually it had three, as Ecclesfield Cinema House was also an Essoldo. The Capitol, Forum and Cinema House were all built by the Sheffield firm of Gleeson. Gleeson's sold all three as a package to Essoldo in 1947. This was the beginning of the end for Ecclesfield Cinema, as what was once a nice surburban cinema with palm trees at either side of the stage, became a complete dump. Essoldo never wanted it, but they could not have The Capitol and The Forum unless they had Ecclesfield as well.

Hi Echo and welcome to the site

Looks like you will be busy answering questions as there's quite a few cinema buffs registered with the site and many fond memories of the cinemas of Sheffield !

Hi Echo and welcome to the site

Looks like you will be busy answering questions as there's quite a few cinema buffs registered with the site and many fond memories of the cinemas of Sheffield !

I only went inside once and that was when all the entrances were bricked up. My mate wanted to get some pigeon eggs and there were a few bricks knocked out of the toilets at the back, so we squeezed through. I was dead scared. It was pitch black but a hole in the roof let enough light in to see a bit of the old cinema. All the seats were missing and the balcony was like a football terrace. There was pigeon pooh everywhere. My mate crawled along the MASSIVE beams to get some eggs. When a couple of dozen pigeons all took off at once I jumped a mile into the air. I was so happy to get out. I was thinking at the time "that is what being dead must be like".....

I only went inside once and that was when all the entrances were bricked up. My mate wanted to get some pigeon eggs and there were a few bricks knocked out of the toilets at the back, so we squeezed through. I was dead scared. It was pitch black but a hole in the roof let enough light in to see a bit of the old cinema. All the seats were missing and the balcony was like a football terrace. There was pigeon pooh everywhere. My mate crawled along the massive beams to get some eggs. When a couple of dozen pigeons all took off at once I jumped a mile into the air. I was so happy to get out. I was thinking at the time "that is what being dead must be like".....

Amother photo from Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21314