Sheffield Independent Newspaper

Guest galena

Could someone please tell me where I can purchase a copy of the CD of the Sheffield Independent Newspaper for 1911?

From the link to the index on this site I have found two references of interest to me:

Carrington John Darnall 14th June

Stauber E Mrs Sheffield 23rd June

If it is no longer availble would someone be willing to look up these references for me as I live in Kent?

Many thanks

Galena

The blue link doesn't seem to come up with the same page at all as the one I was trying to give Galena. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted a link to a page which includes what could, I suppose, be possibly construed as advertising, though the cost of the CDs and DVDs is hardly like to provide a lot of profit!!

Cheers

Judith in France

The blue link doesn't seem to come up with the same page at all as the one I was trying to give Galena. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted a link to a page which includes what could, I suppose, be possibly construed as advertising, though the cost of the CDs and DVDs is hardly like to provide a lot of profit!!

Cheers

Judith in France

I have removed 'The blue link' Judith,

Can't see how advertising will come into it, feel free to provide a link please.

Guest galena

My fault of course! I should have put http etc. So here is the link which I think will be useful as it took me a little while to track down the new address where the Sheffield Independent scans on CD and DVD are available to buy.

http://sheffieldnewspapers.googlepages.com/home

Hope I've got it right this time.

Cheers

Judith in France

Hi Judith

Many thanks for this information and please accept my apologies for taking so long to reply.

BW

Galena

My fault of course! I should have put http etc. So here is the link which I think will be useful as it took me a little while to track down the new address where the Sheffield Independent scans on CD and DVD are available to buy.

http://sheffieldnewspapers.googlepages.com/home

Hope I've got it right this time.

Cheers

Judith in France

Ordered both 1911 and 1878 DVD, nice work. Thank you.

Sorry to restart an old thread but I cam across this searching for the Sheffield Independent. I see where old articles from this paper are available on CD's.

I have been tracing the family tree and was looking for details on my Grandfather's Army service record and was told about an article with an an image of my grandfather F.A. Taylor in the Sheffield Independent of the day, stating he was wounded 3 times. The paper is dated 7/5/15 and I was wondering how if it is possible to get a copy.

Guest Trefcon

Hi redcanuk,

i'm on to it. I answered your post on the GWF and promised you the image for last Friday, well i did go to local studies with a list of images i needed but forgot to get yours!!

I am back there this week and yours will be at the top of the list.

Dean.

Hi redcanuk,

i'm on to it. I answered your post on the GWF and promised you the image for last Friday, well i did go to local studies with a list of images i needed but forgot to get yours!!

I am back there this week and yours will be at the top of the list.

Dean.

Small world.

Thanks for the help.

In case anyone hasn't come across it yet, BritishNewspaperArchive.co.uk has nearly ten thousand editions of the Sheffield Independent, as well as other local newspapers. It's well worth searching for surnames of interest on that site! I've found a few treasures, including the announcement of the marriage of an emigrant to America, which we hadn't been able to find in American records; and an ancestor's announcement of a change of name - no wonder he had seemed to disappear!

In case anyone hasn't come across it yet, BritishNewspaperArchive.co.uk has nearly ten thousand editions of the Sheffield Independent, as well as other local newspapers. It's well worth searching for surnames of interest on that site!

You forget to mention that it ain't free to view the papers! Search yes, however it crashes a lot!

It's connected with the British Library and like a lot of these national bodies that protect the countries heritage they are generally expensive if you can't get there I have found. :(

I'm pleased to report that my experience was completely satisfactory, and the website behaved perfectly. The subscription that I chose seemed very cheap, at £6.95 for 48 hours access. The number of pages one can view is limited - but only to something like a hundred. I found with sensible search options selected - period, locality, etc - I got a huge amount for my money.

Thanks for the "heads-up"; better we know it exists than not know at all.

I'm pleased to report that my experience was completely satisfactory, and the website behaved perfectly. The subscription that I chose seemed very cheap, at £6.95 for 48 hours access. The number of pages one can view is limited - but only to something like a hundred. I found with sensible search options selected - period, locality, etc - I got a huge amount for my money.