5 Weirs Walk

dunsbyowl1867

Last weekend I walked from Meadowhall to Town - as far as I could as part of it is still closed. In fact I think you can only see two or three weirs! It really was lovely, the trees were fantastic colours and at some points you could have been out in Derbyshire. Makes you think what it looked like before all the industry appeared.

Guest detrius

October 2008

Hi Mate

I went on that walk too.Could only get so far due to part being fenced off :angry: .Started at Newhall road.Was pushing my dad as he is disabled so couldn,t get any further.

shame its overgrown so much.Good for nature though.but a nice walk too.Took some B/W photos uploaded a couple. :)

Rest can be found on my website :blink:

Andy M

This is an interesting one although it is not technically on the canal, it's on the River Don.

A suspension bridge over the Don which zip - zags its way under a tunnel.

The tunnel is actually a part of the Wicker Arches.

Guest transit

This is an interesting one although it is not technically on the canal, it's on the River Don.

.....very similar to the one a little further up at Norfolk Bridge ! :o

There is a similar one under one of the arches at Norfolk Bridge

There is a similar one under one of the arches at Norfolk Bridge

Seems quite an unusual and novel way of crossing the river. Why don't these bridges go straight across (a more direct route)?

Why do they have to go under the tunnel as well?

Seems quite an unusual and novel way of crossing the river. Why don't these bridges go straight across (a more direct route)?

Why do they have to go under the tunnel as well?

Not totally sure about the Wicker Arches one, but the Norfolk Bridge one does not actually cross the river it suspends a pathway under the arche for the 5 weirs walk, all you gain by taking the suspended route is a trip under the arch rather than around the pavement next to the road.

I think the idea is to get the 5 weirs walk away from the rd and to follow the course of the river. I think

In this rather poor quality map from the 5 weirs walk the bridge I have shown in post #1 is labelled "Cobweb Bridge and Wicker Arches" and I have marked it out with the red arrow.

There is another crossing point on the Don higher up but the 5 Weirs walk appears not to cross the Don at Norfolk Bridge.

Is the second picture Norfolk Bridge, or the other point where the 5 weirs walk crosses the Don?

In this rather poor quality map from the 5 weirs walk the bridge I have shown in post #1 is labelled "Cobweb Bridge and Wicker Arches" and I have marked it out with the red arrow.

There is another crossing point on the Don higher up but the 5 Weirs walk appears not to cross the Don at Norfolk Bridge.

Is the second picture Norfolk Bridge, or the other point where the 5 weirs walk crosses the Don?

Added some earlier posts to this topic from 2008

Hello,

Your map showed the Bailey Bridge installed close to Norfolk Bridge. Isthis the same Bailey bridge that Henry Matthews timber company first installed to cross the Don from their mill works on Savile Street to their wood yard, etc. on the oppposite bank ?

If so, then I remember its original installation, one Sunday, by the local Territorial Army Engineers. This would be 1947/48. I also remember the ram-schackle bridge it replaced.

Regards

Hello,

Your map showed the Bailey Bridge installed close to Norfolk Bridge. Isthis the same Bailey bridge that Henry Matthews timber company first installed to cross the Don from their mill works on Savile Street to their wood yard, etc. on the oppposite bank ?

If so, then I remember its original installation, one Sunday, by the local Territorial Army Engineers. This would be 1947/48. I also remember the ram-schackle bridge it replaced.

Regards

Hi Falls,

this is the present day Bailey Bridge.