Stauber Restaurant

Guest galena

Can anyone either remember or tell me anything about Stauber's Restaurant, which I understand existed at 2,4,6, George Street (off High Street) from 1929-1940 according to local directories. I have found details of E G Stauber Confectioner including a phot on pictureSheffield of the shop in Pinstone Street and a home address for E G Stauber in the telephone directories up to 1955.

Galena

Can anyone either remember or tell me anything about Stauber's Restaurant, which I understand existed at 2,4,6, George Street (off High Street) from 1929-1940 according to local directories. I have found details of E G Stauber Confectioner including a phot on pictureSheffield of the shop in Pinstone Street and a home address for E G Stauber in the telephone directories up to 1955.

Galena

Just on the off chance you may be related - noting the unusual surname- there is a H. Stauber recorded on the 1939-45 War memorial at Christ Church, Fulwood.

Thank you so much Dunsdyowl for this information as it explains why I could not find a record of the death of H Stauber who would appear to be the same as Henry Ernest the son of Ernest Stauber. The family are recorded in the telephone directories at Silver Birch Avenue which would explain the Fulwood connection.

Do you have the name of his regiment? If not I will search the War Graves Commision site for further information.

Thanks again

Galena

Thank you so much Dunsdyowl for this information as it explains why I could not find a record of the death of H Stauber who would appear to be the same as Henry Ernest the son of Ernest Stauber. The family are recorded in the telephone directories at Silver Birch Avenue which would explain the Fulwood connection.

Do you have the name of his regiment? If not I will search the War Graves Commision site for further information.

Thanks again

Galena

I did it anyway because I'm nosy lol I hope its not too upsetting to find sad news?

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2389978

In actual fact he is not a relative. My mother worked for his father between 1919 and 1933 from when she left school until she was married and I have inherited some examples of Black Forrest wood carvings that he gave her so I thougt it would be interesting to find out more about his father as he was Swiss. This is why I posted the original enquiry.

I have managed to refine when he came to England based on the fact that he was a Chocolatier and confectioner, which is where my mother worked but sheffield Local Studies Library have just found this reference to a Stauber Restaurant for me that is someting I have never heard mentioned. They even gave me a link to a new image on picture Sheffield showing his shop in Pinstone Street.

However, it did make me reflect since Ernest's son died one month before the end of the war aged 23. It brings things home to you even after all these years.

Thanks again for the link; you are obviously like me in that you think laterally when doing research.

Galena