On this day 75 years ago - 17th February 1934

dunsbyowl1867

In an 5th round FA Cup tie between Sheffield Wednesday & Manchester City the record attendance for a match at Hillsborough was set.

A crowd of 72,841 saw Wednesday draw 2-2 (their 17th match without defeat in a row!)

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

This is the sort of item that could be fed to The Star (Martin Dawes) a couple of days in advance, asking him to credit Sheff Hist with the tip, and it could prompt some publicity. It will be a surprise to me if The Star have recognised this anniversary, and yet it would make them a decent piece. See Sheffield History Needs You!

Incidentally, it may be of interest to read what Frank Swift, the City goalkeeper, wrote about this match in his autobiography, Football From the Goalmouth. It is mentioned in one of the Wednesday books.

This is the sort of item that could be fed to The Star (Martin Dawes) a couple of days in advance, asking him to credit Sheff Hist with the tip, and it could prompt some publicity. It will be a surprise to me if The Star have recognised this anniversary, and yet it would make them a decent piece. See Sheffield History Needs You!

Incidentally, it may be of interest to read what Frank Swift, the City goalkeeper, wrote about this match in his autobiography, Football From the Goalmouth. It is mentioned in one of the Wednesday books.

Thanks OKSL - I did e-mail the Star sportsdesk and asked them to acknowledge Sheffield History if they used it! lol

Thanks OKSL - I did e-mail the Star sportsdesk and asked them to acknowledge Sheffield History if they used it! lol

Les Payne has got it in his column today (Fri). And a mention for Sheffield History! Any other anniversary coming up before the 75th anniversary of the '35 final (by which time you may have to update your pix!)?

Les Payne has got it in his column today (Fri). And a mention for Sheffield History! Any other anniversary coming up before the 75th anniversary of the '35 final (by which time you may have to update your pix!)?

Hope this is readable, it's from The Sheffield Star,

Guest bblenkin

It's probably not of much general interest, but April 21 is the 75th anniversary of the date when my grandfather Ernest Blenkinsop returned to Hillsborough for the first time since being transferred to Liverpool five weeks before.

The transfer was hurried through on transfer deadline day and was quite a news story at the time - Ernest was an England international and had played over 400 games for Wednesday, and his transfer prompted several letters of complaint to the local press. Ernest didn't want to leave but in those days the player didn't get much of a say, and a �6,000 fee for a 32 year old playing in a position where Ted Catlin was emerging as a new talent, probably represented good business for Billy Walker.

When he returned with Liverpool on April 21, the Management committee of the Football League for some reason refused the Wednesday Supporters Club permission to make a presentation to Ernest, so Councillor Skelton (the Chair of the supporters club) presented my grandmother Winnie with a silver coffee set in the Directors box as a mark of the fans appreciation.

The report of the game in the Star described how the Wednesday players lined-up to applauded Ernest onto the pitch as the band played

"See the conquering hero comes".

It reported that the crowd applause lasted several minutes and that

"it was obvious that Blenkinsop was very much affected by the reception".

Liverpool won the game 2-1, and Ernest helped them avoid relegation that season. Ernest had 3 seasons at Liverpool before ending his league career at Cardiff prior to the war. He then returned to Sheffield and was a publican at the Sportsman's Inn at Crosspool until his death in 1969.

thanks Richard.

Searched further, no joy. Least you know someone died in February 1934; would suggest asking for any local newspaper articles that people might be able to find - hardly likely to be prominent news on the Owls website.

Any joy contacting "The Star" ?

Guest wayneybabes

Sheffield Star only use Owlstalk Stories ;-)