Firs Hill

dunsbyowl1867

Firs Hill

Orphanage road

Sheet 294.04 Sheffield (North) 1905

Picture Sheffield link added tp Gofrey Maps list :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29y00259%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXkwMDI1OSUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

Hi Dunsbyowl, The weblink you quote deosn't seem to work.

John

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Sorry John, thanks Steve! lol

Is this building still there? If it is the place I am thinking of (behind Firshill School), I think it was turned into flats. For some years, in the mid-to-late 1950s, the lady who was secretary of the old Sheffield Author's Club, Mrs Leach, lived in one of the flats. But even then the place was very run-down. I would think it has gone now, but I may be wrong.

The Teachers' Orphanage & Orphan Fund

In 1887 Firs Hill Orphanage, Sheffield was situated on the road where Firs Hill School stands now – hence the name Orphanage Rd.

'In 1887 through the energy and large heartedness of the Sheffield Teachers, a home for girls was opened in the city. The premises are only temporary and something will be heard shortly about fresh arrangements in connection with the Home. Mr G Champley the first chairman of the Sheffield House Committee has worked assiduously and so have many other Sheffield teachers too numerous to mention to befriend the orphaned children of their professional brethren.

Those who attended the last commemoration day at the Home will not have forgotten the happy and healthy appearance of the girls, or how excellently they performed their musical and scarf drill. Only those who have seen for themselves the home life of the children can realise the value of the training they receive, and no teacher should miss the opportunity of making a personal inspection of the Homes.

Ten girls have passed the examination for admission to the higher grade school Sheffield where they have obtained good reports. This year one of the girls Clara Hands has gained the Lancastrian scholarship of £10 per annum for three years, which will enable her to continue her studies beyond the usual term. Undoubtedly the children who receive the greatest benefit are those who enter the homes. There they are trained for the active duties of life and in the course of time become the support of families who may otherwise must have remained dependant on charity. Self-reliance and mutual help are habitually taught, and a generous diet coupled with well-directed exercise tends to that desirable end, a sound mind and a sound body. The age for admissions has been fixed at seven years and of leaving at fifteen. Modifications can be made in both directions where circumstances make it desirable.'

The New Orphan Homes

Premises have been purchased in Sheffield to replace the ones in Firs Hill the lease of which has nearly expired. Page Hall a well-built and substantial mansion with four acres of freehold land has been secured. It is beautifully situated on the same road a mile from the present home and will provide accommodation for between fifty and sixty girls a number it is sufficient, it is hoped, to meet all requirements for some years to come. The purchase money will entail an outlay of between £4.000 and £5.000. Arrangements are in progress to remove to the new house before winter.

Lyn

Thank you for that info Lyn, - a pity it doesn't mention the date of removal to Page Hall.

This photo dated 1990 shows the site of the old house, possibly not long after demolition. The perimeter walls are still standing and the entrance gates opposite the end of Roe lane are still in place.

Thank you for that info Lyn, - a pity it doesn't mention the date of removal to Page Hall.

This photo dated 1990 shows the site of the old house, possibly not long after demolition. The perimeter walls are still standing and the entrance gates opposite the end of Roe lane are still in place.

Is this place any connection with Firshill House? Or is/was that a different place? I thought Firshill House was on Firshill Road (?), but I may be mistaken. I am currently looking for info on Firshill House which, I believe, was converted to flats, possibly in the 1930s.

Guest Gramps

Is this place any connection with Firshill House? Or is/was that a different place? I thought Firshill House was on Firshill Road (?), but I may be mistaken. I am currently looking for info on Firshill House which, I believe, was converted to flats, possibly in the 1930s.

In 1905 the house and grounds of Firs Hill lay between the then new Orphanage and Firshill roads, behind the school. At some time the section of Firshill road on the north side of Barnsley road was renamed to Firshill avenue, so the house should be the one you have in mind. There doesn't seem to be a section of the 1950s maps covering this area.

In 1905 the house and grounds of Firs Hill lay between the then new Orphanage and Firshill roads, behind the school. At some time the section of Firshill road on the north side of Barnsley road was renamed to Firshill avenue, so the house should be the one you have in mind. There doesn't seem to be a section of the 1950s maps covering this area.

I have learned from a distant relative that she and her parents lived at Firshill House in the 1930s when her mother was the housekeeper there. They had a flat within the premises. She has not mentioned the name of the family who were resident there, but she says it was on Firshill Road. Off hand, I cannot picture the property in my mind. I have today looked at a photo of Firshill Road at the Library, but it does not show any property that might be Firshill House.

I have learned from a distant relative that she and her parents lived at Firshill House in the 1930s when her mother was the housekeeper there. They had a flat within the premises. She has not mentioned the name of the family who were resident there, but she says it was on Firshill Road. Off hand, I cannot picture the property in my mind. I have today looked at a photo of Firshill Road at the Library, but it does not show any property that might be Firshill House.

Having spoken to the relative who lived at Firshill House in the 1930s, it is definitely the building that looked a bit like a castle at the back of the Firshill School --the one which stood on the empty site shown in the post by Gramps. Gramps, can that pix be copied to be sent to the relative I am speaking of --she is now 83 and hasn't lived in Sheffield for about 65 years.

Guest Gramps

Having spoken to the relative who lived at Firshill House in the 1930s, it is definitely the building that looked a bit like a castle at the back of the Firshill School --the one which stood on the empty site shown in the post by Gramps. Gramps, can that pix be copied to be sent to the relative I am speaking of --she is now 83 and hasn't lived in Sheffield for about 65 years.

If you mean this one..

you would have to buy a print from Local Studies - cost £8.00 for a print 10x8 inches but you should be able to see a lot more detail on a print that size.

I remember 1960 ish going up Orphanage Rd to go in Roe Woods and there being a riding school at the top of the hill, this was entered through a large stone arch.

I wonder if this is something to do with Firshill house, the entrance and drive still seem to appear on the photo.

At long last I have found out - the move to Page Hall took place c 1895 with teachers in and around Sheffield raising the funds to buy it. It was very much supported by the general publice who held all sorts of events. As far as I know it was still in use as an orphanage in the1930s when my aunt was told it was the 'naughty girls home'.

Lyn

Guest gearoid

I think that picture is Firs Hill House, my Mum lived there in the 50s/60s - 7 of them in two rooms! My Mum has some of the old chimney in her garden.

The Teachers' Orphanage & Orphan Fund

In 1887 Firs Hill Orphanage, Sheffield was situated on the road where Firs Hill School stands now – hence the name Orphanage Rd.

'In 1887 through the energy and large heartedness of the Sheffield Teachers, a home for girls was opened in the city. The premises are only temporary and something will be heard shortly about fresh arrangements in connection with the Home. Mr G Champley the first chairman of the Sheffield House Committee has worked assiduously and so have many other Sheffield teachers too numerous to mention to befriend the orphaned children of their professional brethren.

Those who attended the last commemoration day at the Home will not have forgotten the happy and healthy appearance of the girls, or how excellently they performed their musical and scarf drill. Only those who have seen for themselves the home life of the children can realise the value of the training they receive, and no teacher should miss the opportunity of making a personal inspection of the Homes.

Ten girls have passed the examination for admission to the higher grade school Sheffield where they have obtained good reports. This year one of the girls Clara Hands has gained the Lancastrian scholarship of £10 per annum for three years, which will enable her to continue her studies beyond the usual term. Undoubtedly the children who receive the greatest benefit are those who enter the homes. There they are trained for the active duties of life and in the course of time become the support of families who may otherwise must have remained dependant on charity. Self-reliance and mutual help are habitually taught, and a generous diet coupled with well-directed exercise tends to that desirable end, a sound mind and a sound body. The age for admissions has been fixed at seven years and of leaving at fifteen. Modifications can be made in both directions where circumstances make it desirable.'

The New Orphan Homes

Premises have been purchased in Sheffield to replace the ones in Firs Hill the lease of which has nearly expired. Page Hall a well-built and substantial mansion with four acres of freehold land has been secured. It is beautifully situated on the same road a mile from the present home and will provide accommodation for between fifty and sixty girls a number it is sufficient, it is hoped, to meet all requirements for some years to come. The purchase money will entail an outlay of between £4.000 and £5.000. Arrangements are in progress to remove to the new house before winter.

Lyn

Hi all, 

New to this site, but know about Firs Hill House. 

My uncle and aunt lived there through the late 50's until it was demolished. They were the primary residents, and ran the riding school and piggery. I spent most summer holidays there as a kid. I used to takerides out and of course muck out the stables. The family was the McCormicks  with Hugh and Rosie and their chidren Anne and Danny.