Tram decorated... but what for ??

Sheffield History

Guest bus man

I am guessing that it is to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary

Without going and checking I would agree with that

I have no picture but wasn't there an illuminated tram to celebrate the end of World War 2? I was very young at the time, about 3 yrs of age, but believe I saw it in Attercliffe Common.

Without going and checking I would agree with that

When I was young I lived near the Shorham Street tramshed. There used to be a tram which we knew as The Jubilee Tram there.My memory of it was that it was a single decker tram with an elongated pantagraph.

Just looked on where else but E Bay. Someone has just sold a postcard of

this image and it is listed thus

"AN OLD PHOTOGRAPH TYPE POSTCARD (UN POSTED) OF A SHEFFIELD TRAMCAR WHICH HAS BEEN DECORATED FOR THE 1911 CORONATION.

LONG LIVE OUR KING & QUEEN JUNE 1911."

Hope that helps

Guest plain talker

Iinitials on the front read:- "G" and "M"... George V and Mary of Teck?

The date on the side looks to be "June 1911"

They aceeded to the throne on 6th May 1910 and celebrated their coronation on 22nd June 1911 so the dates certainly fit.

I would be pretty certain it was for their coronation, rather than the jubilee, as none of the decoration mentions any jubilee, only the coronation date.

I have no picture but wasn't there an illuminated tram to celebrate the end of World War 2? I was very young at the time, about 3 yrs of age, but believe I saw it in Attercliffe Common.

There was indeed an illuminated car at the end of World War II:

Picture Sheffield

<p> </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Iinitials on the front read:- &quot;G&quot; and &quot;M&quot;... George V and Mary of Teck?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The date on the side looks to be &quot;June 1911&quot;</p>

<p> </p>

<p>They aceeded to the throne on 6th May 1910 and celebrated their coronation on 22nd June 1911 so the dates certainly fit.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would be pretty certain it was for their coronation, rather than the jubilee, as none of the decoration mentions any jubilee, only the coronation date.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Car 162 was the tram decorated for the Coronation of 1911.</p>

<br />

<p> </p>

<p></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Car 162 was the tram decorated for the Coronation of 1911.</p>

<br />

There is a bit of a clearer photo on here - and what a great resource!

http://www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/84/postcard-library-picture/5230/

"There is a bit of a clearer photo on here - and what a great resource!"

What a lot of unknow dates and locations they should ask Sheffield History I'm sure some of our members could help fill in the gaps.

I have always wondered if these special trams just ran empty or were used for passengers. It would have been a great ride behind all those lights.

With the power consumption of all the lights it's a wonder any power was left for the traction motors.

On 12/12/2011 at 16:31, madannie77 said:

Car 162 was the tram decorated for the Coronation of 1911

So this must be car 162  in front of the Town Hall, both decorated for the coronation of George V and his wife Mary as king and queen of the United Kingdom and the British Empire,  22 June 1911.

illuminated_town_hall_and_tram_1911.jpg