Snow & Co. Machine Tool Builders

Guest Falls

Guest Falls

When I worked for "Pickfords" in the 60 s and 70s we used to deliver quite a few of their machines to customers all over the country and we usually installed them at the delivery point. If I recall correctly it was a fairly awkward place to reverse an articulated low loader into the loading bay as it was on the corner at an angle to Stanley Street.

Hello,

If you were expected to use the shop door on a 45 deg. angle, that would be in the old part of the works, corner of Stanley Lane and Joiner Lane. You certainly had your-work-cut-out manoeuvering a low loader in there. Come to think of it, Snow's shop doors never had good truck access, even the one in the new (1951) part.

Regards

Guest Johno

I worked at Snows as a mechanical designer for 12 years up to its closure . The production was moved to either Newalls (Peterborough) or to (I think) Keithly. I think that will have been about 1981.From the ashes of Snows arose 'Mons' (turn Snow up-side-down to see why.These were a group of ex fitters who continued to work in part of the Snows premises.I'm not sure whether its still in existance.

When I was there Jack Snow was around for a very short while (Elliotts has already taken over then) .John Noble was still around but I think in a non executive position. Jim Earnshaw was the chief designer (and an excellent one to ). Arnold Thompson was the Tecnical / Works Director up to its closure. Sid Little was a fitter (and an excellent one).In the time I was there the unions were certainly a problem to the management. CNC machines were just starting to be developed thoughout industry but that wasnt the cause of its demise - probably that big business rationalised.

I still have some of their catalogues. I remember Stan Lilley well.some more names - Alan Pidd - sales ./ John Roberts -Purchasing./ Alan Shipman - Works manager for a time/. If more comes to mind I'll add them.

Guest emmasnow

Hello,

Jack Snow from Snow & Co was my grandfather and I am looking for information and images of the company (especially of the large wall with Snow & Co painted on it) and of him... If anybody has any I would be so happy if you could pass them on!

Thank you very much,

Emma

Guest Johno

Hello,

Jack Snow from Snow & Co was my grandfather and I am looking for information and images of the company (especially of the large wall with Snow & Co painted on it) and of him... If anybody has any I would be so happy if you could pass them on!

Thank you very much,

Emma

Hello Emma

I suppose you know this but Jack Snow had a house in Dronfield - at the top of Hallowes Lane.(only a few 100 meters from where I live now)

His initials are built into the gable end of the house.

I posted the message just above this one (worked at Snows 12 years etc etc

Whilst I have a catalogue(s) of Snow machines I dont know if theres a photo of the premises.

I'll dig them out of the loft (if I can find them) and let you know if so.

Best regards

John

Guest Falls

Hello,

Thank you very much,

Emma

Hi,

I seem to remember your grandfather was also a Past President of the Institution of Production Engineers.

Regards

Guest bullerboy

When I worked at Henry Matthews and sons on Cricket Inn Rd in 1957 I was 15 and they sent me next door to S A Wards with a load of cyl heads and clutch plates for grinding when I took them in to the noisy shop all the machines were belt driven from overhead spindles the gaffer said to me that we don't have time to do them so they sent a bloke to show me how to surface grind them he did one of each and sais tha nose ahr to do em nahr so gerr me a jpb thereon wi it so I did and it was a Snow grinder,I became so good at it they offered me a job there but I declined but I loved doing the work.I used to go every day,they had a shop inside which sold drinks and pop and choccy biscuits etc so I had an order from the guys at Matthews.

Guest trierncheerly

ï»?The official colors of the team are blackJoe Flacco White Jersey whiteFrank Gore Red Jersey purple and metallic gold Woods is an United States players in professional golf that was born on December 30Heath Miller Black Jersey 1975 in California Every two-wheeler from amateur to champion has to be certain she can be easily spotted and safely avoided by other drivers on the roads ï»?320 having 35 property extendsRandy Moss Red Jersey a career season (Water wellsMatt Forte White Jersey furthermoreOwen Daniels White Jersey attack College bus monitorsVernon Davis Youth Jersey driversBrooks Reed Navy Blue Jersey and flaggers cannot cease when it rains outdoors or snows These soccer sports shirt manufactured from these fabrics such as nylonJames Harrison White Jersey cottonTerrell Suggs Youth Jersey wool etc

Guest trierncheerly

ï»?Tags: Pop up Portable Soccer GoalsLaMarr Woodley Womens Jersey Soccer GazebosVernon Davis Red Jersey Foldable SoccerRecognition Produces Excellence By: emil | Apr 27th 2012 - The Very best Prize for Excellence is a Trophy - every sports individual will confirm this Beer after exercise is also very harmfulJulius Peppers Nave Blue Jersey experts sayAntonio Brown Youth Jersey exercise is the best temperature and dilute the drink salt water It's hard to see this team putting together a winning season with upper management undergoing polemic The numbering follows certain pattern among the players in the roster according to their position on the field during the game It also needs to be fairly closely woven to give the desired effect Each kind has a lot of branchesNaVorro Bowman Youth Jersey as many teams exist

Guest trierncheerly

Now you can lay hands on cheap jerseys from China at prices that will surprise youHiring An Alaska Salmon Fishing Guides Will Make Your Vacation In Alaska A Flourishing One By: mikeboles | May 17th 2012 - A lot of fishers do come and go to a certain placeDavid Akers Womens Jersey but does not have any knowledge regarding about that certain place wherein they will be going and fi It not only allows comparing and choosing but rather it is also fast and cost effective while speaking in terms of door delivery at you door step StillTroy Polamalu Womens Jersey that doesn't mean you should not consider buying cheap NFL jerseys at allBy shopping onlineMatt Forte Authentic Jersey you will be able get the cheap jerseys

Guest trierncheerly

ï»?Efficient techniques to buy NBA Wholesale JerseysSeveral have been performing enterprise nowadays and one from the things that the business business has been dealing is wholesale jerseys Your Business can develop with this corner by offering merchandises you experience through a wholesale provider AlternativelyTorrey Smith Black Jersey quite a few feel the medications stunt their creativity This means you are able to associate yourself with multiple players and teams for a very reasonable price and still get the best quality replica football shirts As the dealers are eager to increase sales and will try anything new; the program has been a sensationHow to get the best jerseys at the best prices?If you have enough time to search onlineMatt Forte Youth Jersey which is the best choice for these cheap jerseysTroy Polamalu Youth Jersey indeedAldon Smith Pink Jersey you will find there are lots of selection of cheap jerseysBrandon Marshall Youth Jersey such as nba jerseysBrian Cushing White Jersey nfl jerseysNaVorro Bowman Red Jersey Chicago Bears jerseys and any other jerseys that are really cheaper than those on the supermarkets or sports stores

Guest trierncheerly

There are other ways to find cheap NFL jerseysHiring An Alaska Salmon Fishing Guides Will Make Your Vacation In Alaska A Flourishing One By: mikeboles | May 17th 2012 - A lot of fishers do come and go to a certain placeAntonio Brown Womens Jersey but does not have any knowledge regarding about that certain place wherein they will be going and fishing at It is a popular way of showing support and also to show which team you are currently a fan of ï»?Ensuring That You've Got The Wholesale Jerseys Filled With LoveIt has become a well accepted fact that the Chinese goods are taking over the market Besides the jersey are very precious in the hearts of the real fans There is a whole list of things that have to go rightDavid Akers Red Jersey some you can control some you cannotLaMarr Woodley Yellow Jersey to become an NBA player

Guest trierncheerly

ï»?They may well not have even recognized that they had any sort of disorder at all Do a check checklist of all of your wedding programs and be sure that deciding on an ideal marriage ceremony ring is 1 of your cheap nfl jerseys top priorities aside from turning up on the day Picking a wedding ring is not as simple while you believeMatt Forte Womens Jersey considerably thought is essential driving your selected style All of them prefer to wear mlb jerseys wholesale in their training drills ï»?When you're buying cheap basketball uniforms for your teamTorrey Smith Womens Jersey they need to be able to be customized as wellNot only are you showing support for your teamAntonio Brown Black Jersey but you will also find that you connect with complete strangers who see you wearing a certain team's jersey But the truth is significantly various

Guest trierncheerly

The cost is all because of the high quality dressesOwen Daniels Womens Jersey since most of the jerseys are the exact replicas of what the football players wear throughout their games Ovviously Patrick Willis Pink Jersey Britney Spears is not just a singer and a good mother who care about her son s habit life apart through the priceJulius Peppers Orange Jersey there are other benefits buying online In factAndre Johnson Navy Blue Jersey NFL jersey is a truck with more loyalty to the drug and additional centers in the sports industry to become part of the inquiryBrandon Marshall Authentic Jersey including the smooth relating to fatigue We have witnessed an amount of new avid gamers like sty You can find numerous valuable sites that may offer you data about illnesses that have an effect on your cat

Guest Ian Mij Walker

Hi,

Does anyone know any good machine fitter conversant with Snow OS54 grinders?I am struggling to find someone to sort out my machine

Thanks,

Ian Walker

Recut Ltd

Sheffield

sales@recutltd.com

Hi I’ve found in my books and old Newnes Engineers Reference Book 

that my father in law had from his apprenticeship at Snows. 
Name Rodger P. 

here’s a photo of Fredrick himself 

they are genuine photos no date on them tho. 

0C7F7410-9E16-4ED9-9EFE-C482CA49DB90.jpeg

3E5B3F0A-78D6-495F-A4EB-F15CD3E37D28.jpeg

On 06/11/2014 at 10:18, Guest Ian Mij Walker said:

Hi,

Does anyone know any good machine fitter conversant with Snow OS54 grinders?I am struggling to find someone to sort out my machine

Thanks,

Ian Walker

Recut Ltd

Sheffield

sales@recutltd.com

BPH engineering