The Victorians, BBC TV program

SteveHB

The first of four programs,

starting Sunday 15 Feb at 21:00 on BBC One.

New series in which Jeremy Paxman takes his love of Victorian paintings as the starting point for a journey into Victorian Britain. Such pictures may not be fashionable today, but they are a gold mine of information about the most dynamic age in British history.

In this episode he investigates the most dramatic event of Victorian Britain - the explosion of great cities. At first the Victorians feared these new monsters in their midst but then grew to love and transform them.

Jeremy explores the canals and sewers, suburbs and back streets, workhouses and magnificent buildings of the great Victorian city, while also picturing the fun-filled chaos of Derby Day.

Thanks for that Steve.....Digiguide reminder set. I've been watching that other fascinating programme 'Victorian Farm' - last episode is at 9.00 pm Thursday BBC2.

"At first the Victorians feared these new monsters in their midst but then grew to love and transform them"

Could History be repeating it's self? he he

Thanks for that Steve.....Digiguide reminder set. I've been watching that other fascinating programme 'Victorian Farm' - last episode is at 9.00 pm Thursday BBC2.

Thanks Steve looks facinating.

Gramps that programme has been excellent - I was discussing it with my wife's mother who grew up on a farm in Lincolnshire before the war and she was telling me that many of the technological innovations shown on the programme were still in us on her father's farm well into the 1950's lol

The Victorian farm has been an excellent series.

My only disappointment with it, bearing in mind my other interests, is how much work on the land was done by hand, hired labour and by heavy horses which by 1881 was done quicker and more efficiently by the power of steam. Although they did show briefly a Fowler traction engine driving a Marshall threshing box very little was said about this.

In an earlier episode the land was ploughed, not by a matching pair of Fowler BB1 ploughing engines but by the faithful old shire horse "clomper" who suffered an injured ankle as a result.

But these are minor niggles, it was an excellent series which has just ended so here's hoping the new Paxman series starting tomorrow is equally as good.

The Victorian farm has been an excellent series.

My only disappointment with it, bearing in mind my other interests, is how much work on the land was done by hand, hired labour and by heavy horses which by 1881 was done quicker and more efficiently by the power of steam. Although they did show briefly a Fowler traction engine driving a Marshall threshing box very little was said about this.

In an earlier episode the land was ploughed, not by a matching pair of Fowler BB1 ploughing engines but by the faithful old shire horse "clomper" who suffered an injured ankle as a result.

But these are minor niggles, it was an excellent series which has just ended so here's hoping the new Paxman series starting tomorrow is equally as good.

Suppose I should be posting these in the transport section really.

A demonstration of threshing using steam at the Sheffield / ONCA rally in 2003 using a Ransomes, Simms & Jeffries traction engine owned by the Carr Brothers of Sheffield and a Ransomes threshing box owned by J. Plant also of Sheffield

Sorry about poor picyure quality, very early digital camera in use, only VGA resolution

Suppose I should be posting these in the transport section really.

A demonstration of threshing using steam at the Sheffield / ONCA rally in 2003 using a Ransomes, Simms & Jeffries traction engine owned by the Carr Brothers of Sheffield and a Ransomes threshing box owned by J. Plant also of Sheffield

Sorry about poor picyure quality, very early digital camera in use, only VGA resolution

I have a presidents trophy for best kept agricultural engine 1965 that I got from a mate who used to do car boots, had it replated a very fine pint tankard.

Enjoyed that muchly, Thanks for the heads up.

Not watched it yet but at least I remembered to record it this time so that I can watch it at my leisure.

Not watched it yet but at least I remembered to record it this time so that I can watch it at my leisure.

It was my turn this time, missed it :(

It was my turn this time, missed it :(

Perhaps I could put it on a DVD for you Stuart, a sort of return favour. Haven't worked out how yet though as we don't quite have the same system set up for recording TV.

Reminder 2100 Hrs,

The Victorians, Home Sweet Home.

Jeremy Paxman continues his exploration of the Victorian world by entering the typical Victorian home, a haven of order, respectability and morality. But not everything was always as it should be, with sexual double standards and the perils of drink, disease and poverty all threatening to destroy the cherished dream of Home Sweet Home.

Reminder 2100 Hrs,

The Victorians, Home Sweet Home.

Jeremy Paxman continues his exploration of the Victorian world by entering the typical Victorian home, a haven of order, respectability and morality. But not everything was always as it should be, with sexual double standards and the perils of drink, disease and poverty all threatening to destroy the cherished dream of Home Sweet Home.

Very interesting.

And in tonights program ..

'Having It All'

Jeremy Paxman continues his exploration of the Victorian world. Inspired by the paintings of the day, he tells the story of Victorian power. Railways, factories and military might made Britain the richest country in the world. Paxman finds British generals dressed in togas in the Foreign Office, meets the horse that led the Charge of the Light Brigade, drives a steam train and visits a fort, steelworks and a millionaire's mansion to tell the story of the time when Britain seemed to have it all.

Guest Gramps

Sheffield got an honourable mention this evening - steel production increased from 50,000 tons in 1850 to 5 million tons in 1900...at least I think that's what he said. ;-)

Sheffield got an honourable mention this evening - steel production increased from 50,000 tons in 1850 to 5 million tons in 1900...at least I think that's what he said. ;-)

I noted that Gramps, as well as that rather catchily titled painting showing the Bessemer converter which I have also forgotten!! ;-)

I also thought if I ever got asked if there was one period of history you could go back to ? A visit to the Great Exhibition wouldn't be a bad thing!

That's how I heard it Gramps, and I'm sure he also said that this accounted for half of the entire worlds production of steel at the time!

Tonight is the Last In Series.

Dreams and Nightmares.

Jeremy Paxman discovers how, in the dying years of Victoria's reign, artists led a revolt against Victorian values of money and morality, preferring to create a world filled with medieval knights and damsels, dreams and fairies, sex and death. He meets a pair of spiritualist mediums, visits a collection of Victorian nudes and is allowed into Broadmoor hospital in search of mad Victorian artist Richard Dadd.

Starring: Phil Cairney

Tonight is the Last In Series.

Dreams and Nightmares.

Jeremy Paxman discovers how, in the dying years of Victoria's reign, artists led a revolt against Victorian values of money and morality, preferring to create a world filled with medieval knights and damsels, dreams and fairies, sex and death. He meets a pair of spiritualist mediums, visits a collection of Victorian nudes and is allowed into Broadmoor hospital in search of mad Victorian artist Richard Dadd.

Starring: Phil Cairney

And last night's Sheffield connection was ?

Look here if you don't know> ;-)

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...1&hl=siddal