Coal Aston Aerodrome, and Alcock and Brown

Henry Pond

I always seem to forget or am easily confused, was Rowlinson School what is now Norton College and there were 2 Meadowhead Schools (Boys and Girls) on the Greenhill/Lowedgees side of Dyche Ln.

Sort of correct. In my day, there were three schools, Rowlinson Technical (sited where you say), Jordanthorpe Girls', (on the other side of Dyche Lane, to the south, near Batemoor) and Jordanthorpe Boys' (same side as the girls' school, but to the North, so nearest Meadowhead). As comprehensives, Rowlinson had minor name change, and the two Jordanthorpe's merged to become one mixed sex, split site school with North and South buildings. Sometime later the Jordanthorpes became Meadowhead school and Rowlinson became Norton college. Now, I may be wrong, as I wasn't around at the time, but I have a feeling that there was a point before that final stage point where all three sites were Meadowhead school.

Hi,

The Admiralty presence in Sheffield was in connection with armaments. Its title full title was the Admiralty Inspectorate and its main office/worshops were on Jansen Street, Attercliffe. This was obviously a vunerable location once WWII began so it would have made sense to have one or more locations away from the East end.

My wife attended Rowlinson School when it first opened in 1953. She remembers a sinister set of buildings on the East side of the school property (towards Norton) enclosed by a very secure enclosure - that is a strong masonry wall topped with broken glass and a barbed wire entaglement. This was always know as the "Admiralty". It had its own secuity.

One thing she does remember about the place was if a ball went over the fence from the school side, it was never ever returned.

Regards

National Archives have a mention of the "future of the Norton Gauge Factory" under Admiralty in 1947. I wonder if that's the place? It would seem to fit.

Guest rcolley

The aerodrome site was just north of Rowlinson School, it fronted onto Norton Lane, behind a hedge. I remember it from the 1960s. There were a lotr of concrete bases, and a perimeter track.

The Admiralty site was immediately behind the aerodrome site. It was still in use in the early 60s. You could see white coated technicians through the windows. It was rumoured to be an instrument repair workshop.

I learned to drive on the perimeter road. This site was quite separate from the much larger RAF Norton about a mile up the road.

The aerodrome site was just north of Rowlinson School, it fronted onto Norton Lane, behind a hedge. I remember it from the 1960s. There were a lotr of concrete bases, and a perimeter track.

The Admiralty site was immediately behind the aerodrome site. It was still in use in the early 60s. You could see white coated technicians through the windows. It was rumoured to be an instrument repair workshop.

I learned to drive on the perimeter road. This site was quite separate from the much larger RAF Norton about a mile up the road.

Welcome to Sheffield History rcolley and thanks for the information in your post.

If you have not found it already you may be interested in this other thread about Norton aerodrome

Norton Aerodrome

Hope you enjoy reading through it and make further contributions to this site.

On 11/02/2009 at 10:23, tsavo said:

Strange that in 1920's Coal Aston was in Derbyshire so why was the "Great Yorkshire Show" there. I think maybe the picture is not taken over Coal Aston.

According to the Great Yorkshire Show site, the show was held at various locations, but throughout Yorkshire. More research needed I think.

Thus the wheels were set in motion and the first Yorkshire Show was held in Fulford, York, in 1838. Attendance figures were not recorded until 1842 when the Show was held in York. The figure was 6,044. In the early years, in common with other shows, the Yorkshire was peripatetic. It was held in all the main centres of population - no fewer than 30 towns in the three ridings.

I've found this Newspaper reference to The Yorkshire Show at Norton Aerodrome.

The Yorkshireman is a True Englishman.

Leeds Mercury 04 July 1935

Norton.JPG

The Prince of Wales will see the Great Yorkshire Show for the first time in his life when he visits the Sheffield Show at Norton Aerodrome next Thursday.

Sheffield Independent 05 July 1935

Thorpe Hesley.2.JPG

Thorpe Hesley.3.JPG

Great Yorkshire Show Sheffield.
1852 Royd's Cricket Ground
1874 Hillsborough Park
1886 Hillsborough Park
1903 Sheffield ??
1923 Hillsborough Park

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 08 July 1935

Thorpe Hesley.1.JPG

Thorpe Hesley.2.JPG

Coal Aston Aerodrome saw "A" flight of No 33 squadron RFC tasked with the training role but also making nocturnal anti Zeppelin sorties with Home Defence during WW.1. With the signing of the Armistice the airfield found itself being used for aircraft storage. The airfield saw many flying events( Flying Weeks) during the 20's including the previously mentioned Vickers Vimy which made a record flight from Sheffield to London of 95 minutes!!! Most widely remembered were the appearances of Sir Alan Cobham and his "Flying Circus", greeted by Sheffielders in their thousands.

In 1920 the Sheffield Act gave the Corporation powers to acquire Coal Aston Aerodrome which figured in the attempts by the Corporation to provide the City with an aerodrome and ancillary services...after promptings by the Air Ministry. The Air Navigation Act of 1920 already empowered the Corporation to build an aerodrome there...but as with so much else, they pontificated.... in 1931 employing  Sir Alan Cobham to survey and inspect a total of 9 other sites. In the end, he settled on Coal Aston even though forces were already moving to build the City's southern hospital on the site. Nothing happened and for the sum of just over £3,000.00 the City gave up on an aerodrome and the land ended up being the site of housing,( it has to be said the City Treasurer was unconvinced of Cobham's estimated cost, They suggested a sum of £ 56,131.00 which included the cost of land already acquired by the Corporation.)

The site was situated on the 600ft contour line, lying in the Norton/Dyche Lane area and would have had two runways of 900 and 1,300 yards in length . Note it should not be confused with the much later WW2 vintage RAF Norton,,,a barrage balloon depot.( as a matter of interest there exists another Coal Aston landing strip which still receives the very occasional traffic. This is situated close to Apperknowle in NE Derbyshire.)

From: The Aviation Wilderness by Stewart Dalton...no longer in print.