Location needed - somewhere at Wadsley Bridge

Sheffield History

Take a look at this picture

Can you identify the location

Apparantly it's somewhere at Wadsley Bridge

Think there is some kind of church/chapel on the immediate right ?

Or could be a school

Looks like the run up to Wadsley Bridge from the "now roundabout" Travellers and Gate on the left-Wadsley Bridge Methodist church on the right.

Or could be a school

Thought this mystery location posted by Admin was in need of some thought?

neddy was right.

Penistone Road North, Wadsley Bridge. No 78, Gate Inn, left, foreground.

Sign for Travellers Inn, No 72, in background.

picturesheffield

Another mystery solved ;-)

Well thats that one solved :)

Guest skeets

Looks like the run up to Wadsley Bridge from the "now roundabout" Travellers and Gate on the left-Wadsley Bridge Methodist church on the right.

HI Neddy looks like you're good at this solving game have a go at my mystery clock it seems to have stumped the regular know-alls. Skeets

Link to mystery clock Topic

How is it that the picture showing Halifax Road makes the road look almost flat when it's the opposite ?

Or could be a school

What about those telegraph poles, where would they be going? it would be more or less open country the other side of the bridge.

What about those telegraph poles, where would they be going? it would be more or less open country the other side of the bridge.

Looking at the size of the poles and the number of wires, these would not be local wires, more probably a trunk route to High Green, Barnsley, Penistone or even further a field. In the early years of telephony/telegraphy everything would have been overhead.

HI Neddy looks like you're good at this solving game have a go at my mystery clock it seems to have stumped the regular know-alls. Skeets

Link to mystery clock Topic

Even after Stuart0742 virtually gave me the answer in a PM I still don't know where this clock is.

neddy was right.

Penistone Road North, Wadsley Bridge. No 78, Gate Inn, left, foreground.

Sign for Travellers Inn, No 72, in background.

picturesheffield

Another mystery solved ;-)

Can someone find this on the old maps - presumably the Methodist Church shold be easy to find, but I just cant work this one out?

Can someone find this on the old maps - presumably the Methodist Church shold be easy to find, but I just cant work this one out?

This is the best we have of the area Mike,

not sure if it helps.

I would hazard a guess that it is the buildings marked as Wadsley Bridge Works (Iron and Steel) on Map 248, looking in a south-easterly direction towards the railway.

EDIT @ 17:41

Do I see a station sign to the left of the railway wagons?

I would hazard a guess that it is the buildings marked as Wadsley Bridge Works (Iron and Steel) on Map 248, looking in a south-easterly direction towards the railway.

EDIT @ 17:41

Do I see a station sign to the left of the railway wagons?

No idea, I am still lost with the direction, where is/was the football pitch ?

Where was Gambles (could be Cambles) works at Wadsley Bridge?

The works of Moss & Gambles was right at the bottom of Fox Hill Road on the left hand side almost immediately after turning left after the railway bridge.

A relative of mine worked there for many years. Immediatly above the works was a deep dam. this was filled in after a drowning incident, I can't remember whether it was one or two lads.

Houses were built on the site of part of the works and dam quite soon after it was filled in. Baxter Mews and Baxter Road I think. The main works buildings seem to have been converted into apartments or maybe offices.

HD

A closer look suggests it is not a station sign - it is the other side of the roadway in front of the football pitch. I can only assume that the football pitch was replaced by part of the Scapa Works (map 247).

My (rough) suggestion for the viewpoint is

The works of Moss & Gambles was right at the bottom of Fox Hill Road on the left hand side almost immediately after turning left after the railway bridge.

A relative of mine worked there for many years. Immediatly above the works was a deep dam. this was filled in after a drowning incident, I can't remember whether it was one or two lads.

Houses were built on the site of part of the works and dam quite soon after it was filled in. Baxter Mews and Baxter Road I think. The main works buildings seem to have been converted into apartments or maybe offices.

HD

When the dam was filled in we were living in one of the houses on the hill just behind it. The dam was used for fishing, and they cleared out as many fish as they could. I remember them doing it on a Sunday morning, using some kind of explosive to stun the fish. The first we knew was the house shaking!

Not long after that they drained the dam. One night we were coming home in the dark and in the headlights the surface of the road seemed to be moving. In fact it was covered with frogs and toads who'd apparently decide it was time to evacuate and find a new home.

From memory the entrance for Moss and Gambles scrapyard was the roadway at the side of the Travellers before the bridge Owlerton side, The coal yard being the other side of the road.

From memory the entrance for Moss and Gambles scrapyard was the roadway at the side of the Travellers before the bridge Owlerton side,

Would that be next to Cox & Danks ? W/E.