Random Picture Thread

Sheffield History

Guest J.A.C.

Hi there

Great shot of the Sheffield Christmas lights it should be sent to the City council to show them the way forward.

This is when lights were lights

Regards

Jim.

Guest purplejumper

:unsure: Took this photo of Brunswick Chapel some years ago and didnt make a note of any info on it, so I have no idea where it is (or was). I know someone on the forum will be able to help, so over to you!

It's not the Brunswick that was on the Moor. That one was bombed out in the 1940's.

There was a Wesleyan REFORM Chapel on Bramall Lane. I think (please correct me!) it was rebuilt and stands on the roundabout opposite Staples and St Mary's. (Wesleyan Reformed didn't merge with the Wesleyans and Prims in the 1930's to form the Methodist Church today, so remain a separate denomination.)

Brunswick on the Moor in 1933 with Rev. A.W. Massey

Guest purplejumper

Hmmm. Further research reveals that the Wesleyan Reform Chapel in Bramall Lane was called EBENEZER not Brunswick....

The four spiers that can be seen in the background of photo two is St Mary's Church

Of interest to Purplejumper

I recently bought a book called"Lost Sheffield" by Peter Machan. Page seven has a photo of the Brunswick Chapel on South Street.Opened in 1834. This is the chapel that you are discussing.It stood a few hundred yards from St Marys Church Bramall Lane. The print is from just before 1900.This photo has horse drawn trams. I dont think I can scan and copy it because of copyright unless someone tells me how to get round this.

This book is available at the moment from Waterstones.

Guest purplejumper

I will stick with St Marys as the spiers are more taller than St. Silas's.

Yup. You are right! I am wrong! St Mary's it is...

Yup. You are right! I am wrong! St Mary's it is...

Thank you purplejumper, thought I was right and after all I was christened at St Mary's in the mid fifties. :-)

Longshaw Lodge 1927, from the estate auction catalogue of the same year, much of which is now part of the National Trust Longshaw Estate.

Longshaw Lodge 1927, from the estate auction catalogue of the same year, much of which is now part of the National Trust Longshaw Estate.

Longshaw Lodge 1927, from the estate auction catalogue of the same year, much of which is now part of the National Trust Longshaw Estate.attachicon.gifLongshaw Lodge-1927-001.JPG

Reminds me of my first job, I worked for Joe Rowarth who at the time (1970) was president of the Longshaw Sheep Dog Trials.

'Sunday Times 10th September 1978'

"By 1932, sheepdog trials were taking place all over Britain. More than 10,000 flocked to Longshaw to see 16-year-old Joe Rowarth win the championship with his 11-month old bitch, Jed, finishing the course in the astonishing time of 4 minutes and 47 seconds - a record which still stands."

From; http://www.bordercollierescue.org/history/pages/longshaw.html

Garden party held at Loxley house on June 23rd 1911, my GGrandfather, Earl of Wharncliffe and Lord Rockingham all in attendance.

Interesting pic. It would be nice to know who is who. Been trying to fathom which one is Wharncliffe?

mike

1. Haymarket footbridge, looking toward Fitzalan Square
  2. Arundel Gate, looking toward Crucilbe Theatre
  3. Union Steeet, looking over Arundel Gate to Cooper Bothers on Arundel Street (Sheffield ‘Wedding Cake’ Registry Office extreme left)
  4. Arundel Gate, looking toward Top Rank Sheffield Suite
  5. Left side of panoramic photo and...
  6. Right side, taken from top of East Bank Road, or maybe Daresbury View. The combined view is looking over Blackstock Road, Callow Road flats and Meersbrook allotments on hillside beyond (rows of greenhouses reflecting the light). The road stretching from the bottom left corner of photo 6 is Newfield Green Road, with Daresbury Road at the bottom and Gleadless Road curving away to the left

if all the photos were taken in the same year, looking at vehicle registrations and the various buildings, construction in progress and demolition, my guess is no earlier than 1981 and no later than 1984....

Hello

I'd go a bit earlier on the Fitzalan Sq picture.

The bus looks to be an M reg (1973 - 1974) and it looks newish to me. Along with the big heels, flares (top left is a bloke) hair length, big collars, those jumpers with stars on them and the lack of punks in the picture I'd guess at mid 1970's

Fitzalan_Sq.png

I’ll go with that, as I read the plate as ‘W’ reg’.

The proliferation of mini-skirts, Lionel Blair’s and wide collars / lapels is more 70’s that 80’s.

also the lack of cars of the late 70’s and early 80’s in the car park should have been a tell-tale?

I Should’ve gone to SpecSavers! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the relies. A few more to rack your brains with.

The last one is building The Milestone pub at Crystal Peaks.

20180715-IMG_20180715_0038.jpg

20180715-IMG_20180715_0039.jpg

20180715-IMG_20180715_0040.jpg

20180715-IMG_20180715_0041.jpg

20180715-IMG_20180715_0044.jpg

20180715-IMG_20180715_0029.jpg