Random Picture Thread

Sheffield History

Great picture. Have you any idea of date?

For more details on the history of Loxley House see topic "Robin Hood".

Hi Tsavo, have read the link to Robin Hood very interesting thank you! My GGrandfather rented Loxley House from 1910 - 1913 the garden party was held in 1911, I have a photo of him playing billiards in the Billiard room there, will hunt it out.

Here's some more random piccies!

Eardley's table water was produced in Sheffield (I have a soda syphon from them) so I guess this Tea Room was somewhere in Sheffield any ideas?

Farrer men sporting their wives' hats, a more traditional pose (somewhere near Heeley), The family business carriage (anyone know where or what this was?), and the family business in the background at the unveiling of the War Memorial.

The War Memorial photo shows F.W.Ferrar's leather merchants shop at 115 and 117 Barkers Pool. I think it occupied the site now filled by the City Hall, opened in 1930, though I could be wrong. The photo was taken on 28th October, 1925.

The horse and cart seem to be in the judging ring at some show or other. We may never know which.

Great photo's though, especially the one with the men in ladies hats!

The cafe shot may well be a Restaurant rather than a Tea Room. Note the condiment set on the table, bottom left. Could be, among others, Davy's in Fargate or Walsh's in High Street. They both had the Palm Lounge Restaurants.

Guest bangtidy

A few random pictures here folks - see if any of them are of any interest to you..

Green Moor United Methodist Sunday School Established 1812 in Sheffield

Ponder rosa, crookesmoor

The War Memorial photo shows F.W.Ferrar's leather merchants shop at 115 and 117 Barkers Pool. I think it occupied the site now filled by the City Hall, opened in 1930, though I could be wrong. The photo was taken on 28th October, 1925.

James Farrer, Buff & glazer maker, 28 Burgess Street (Kelly's 1893)

James Farrer & Sons Ltd, buff and glazer manufacturers and grinders, cutlers & polishing machines, Devonshire Works 37-43 Division Street & Carver Street (1919)

James Farrer & Sons Ltd, manufacturers of grinders & polishing machines, buffs, glazer, Devonshire Works 37-43 Division Street & Carver Street (1919)

James, presumably the father of the three below (or not !)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frederick William Farrer lived at 81 Grove Road, Millhouses, at least from 1911 to 1925.

Earnest Harry Farrer, 26 Gatefield Road (listed 1911 only); Mrs Alice Farrer is listed at 26 Gatefield Road in 1925.

James Edward Farrer, 7 Ryle Road (1911); Salter Gate, Bamford (1919)

By 1919 F W Farrer, Leather merchant, leather belting manufacturer, grinders' tool manufacturer, is shown at 115-117 Barkers Pool (home is still 81 Grove Road)

By 1925 F W Farrer (Grinding and polishing tool maker), still 115-117 Barkers Pool (home is still 81 Grove Road, Millhouses)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if any of that helps anyone in the slightest, but, I enjoyed finding it out - so there lol

What about a wedding photo circa 1940 take note of the early hoody sat on the fence, I think it could be Christ Church at Pitsmoor but i'm not certain.

Hi Fellow SHs I have another wedding photo for you circa 1920s i bet you could not hire that style of clothing now days.

Hi Fellow SHs I have another wedding photo for you circa 1920s i bet you could not hire that style of clothing now days.

Is the second from the left a man?

These 4 pics taken from slides were taken by me Christmas 1968 or 1969. I was experimenting with my new camara (a Practika). I sold the camera in 1971 to buy my first suit for a job interview with James Neill & it got me the job.

Markbaby.

Loved those shots above.

Are they late 70's?

Also on the one of Arundle gate and the Roxy you can see a sign which I think must have been attached to the underground car par which says "Murco Pet..." some of it is missing in the shot.

Was there a petrol station there? and if there was were did you go to fill up??

I've drawn round the bit I'm on about

These 4 pics taken from slides were taken by me Christmas 1968 or 1969. I was experimenting with my new camara (a Practika). I sold the camera in 1971 to buy my first suit for a job interview with James Neill & it got me the job.

Hi gippeswyc

Excellent photos the one above in particular my late mother used to work at the Maypole shop delivering food stuffs to customers homes in the late 50s and early 60s it's the first time i have seen the shop since my school days many happy memories Thank you for posting them..

Markbaby.

Loved those shots above.

Are they late 70's?

Also on the one of Arundle gate and the Roxy you can see a sign which I think must have been attached to the underground car par which says "Murco Pet..." some of it is missing in the shot.

Was there a petrol station there? and if there was were did you go to fill up??

I've drawn round the bit I'm on about

The Murco filling station was on Pond Street. Directly under the Multi storey car park, alongside the Fiesta. The Multi storey could be accessed from both Pond Street and Arundel Gate.

Hi syrup - Glad it brought back some memories for you. I cleaned up the slide and scanned it again at 300dpi for you.

If only it was taken a few hundred yards further up the Moor, we might have had that elusive colour pic of Redgates!

that thought went through my mind tsavo ;-)

I'm sure I had some more shots of the moor around this time but I haven't been able to find them for years but I haven't given up looking.

The Murco filling station was on Pond Street. Directly under the Multi storey car park, alongside the Fiesta. The Multi storey could be accessed from both Pond Street and Arundel Gate.

There was also a filling station where the sign is, though it didn't last very long. The place is still there (or was last time I looked!) though all the station equipment was removed long ago.

Here's some more random piccies!

Eardley's table water was produced in Sheffield (I have a soda syphon from them) so I guess this Tea Room was somewhere in Sheffield any ideas?

Hi huthwaite I've just scanned these pictures out of Sheffield shops and shopping by Ruth Harman please excuse the quality scanned scans don't look that good, They are from Cockaynes Department Store, The first is the restaurant providing an extensive menu for three course lunches and other meals, Take note of the palms in the room at the rear which is the second picture The Palm Lounge classed as a less formal venue for teas and light refreshments, Often with a musical accompaniment from a pianist or a small orchestra. They new how to treat customers them days. And finally the 1938 summer sales.

WOW !!!

Some absolutely INCREDIBLE pictures here

If anyone has any pictures lying around in their house - no matter how trivial they think they are - get them scanned in and posted on the site !!!!

Even the most average sounding picture (e.g. picture of the moor from 1965 etc) would be fantastic to see

Even if it's an old wedding picture, a picture of an old car you once owned, a picture of your old house, or someone walking down high street - GET IT POSTED ON THE SITE !!!!

One mans photo is another mans treasure

The petrol station on Arundle gate was on a lay-by that was lower than street level opposite the Crucible, I think the lay-by is still there although it may be blocked off. If I remember correctly there were only a couple of pumps.

Mark