Random Picture Thread

Sheffield History

Hi syrup - Glad it brought back some memories for you. I cleaned up the slide and scanned it again at 300dpi for you.

Sheffield City Council should look long and hard at that photo and remember.

THATS what Christmas Illuminations should look like!

Hi Green Moor is a small village on the top of the hill above Thurgoland and Stocksbridge and comes under Sheffield Council remit will post some piccies later when I get home from work, I remember being May Queen many years ago and walking behind the Church banner down from Broomhill to Weston Park for the Whit sing.

Green Moor used to join with Thurgoland Parish for worship, the church is now closed, most people know Green Moor by the pub there The Rock.

Hi huthwaite I don't know if this is still visible due to it being closed in1936 it stretched back from the Rock Inn and was called Green Moor Delf Quarry. I found the information in South Yorkshire at Work on old picture postcards by Norman Ellis.

Guest carlie167

Thought you might like to see this. Took yesterday as we were having a walk round Sheffield taking some snaps. Hope Ive uploaded it right, not really used to this technology lark!!

Guest carlie167

:) Can anyone help with this? Its a plaque on the Wicker Arches and I wonder what it is for. I can only make out Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway.

Guest carlie167

These 4 pics taken from slides were taken by me Christmas 1968 or 1969. I was experimenting with my new camara (a Practika). I sold the camera in 1971 to buy my first suit for a job interview with James Neill & it got me the job.

Guest carlie167

I remember the Christmas lights when they drew people from all over to visit. Great pictures but quite scary to think they are from almost 40 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old shops brought back memories too. :)

Hi huthwaite I don't know if this is still visible due to it being closed in1936 it stretched back from the Rock Inn and was called Green Moor Delf Quarry. I found the information in South Yorkshire at Work on old picture postcards by Norman Ellis.

Great piccie thank you, don't think there is any sign of it now but will have a look tonight lol

:) Can anyone help with this? Its a plaque on the Wicker Arches and I wonder what it is for. I can only make out Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway.

Its the logo of the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway which in turn incorporated 3 smaller railways. They built the viaduct and the line to Manchester.This line later became the Great Central Railway,before becoming the LNER and finallly British Rail

Hi huthwaite I've just scanned these pictures out of Sheffield shops and shopping by Ruth Harman please excuse the quality scanned scans don't look that good, They are from Cockaynes Department Store, The first is the restaurant providing an extensive menu for three course lunches and other meals, Take note of the palms in the room at the rear which is the second picture The Palm Lounge classed as a less formal venue for teas and light refreshments, Often with a musical accompaniment from a pianist or a small orchestra. They new how to treat customers them days. And finally the 1938 summer sales.

HI Syrup, thanks for these they are great, can you imagine eating a meal surrounded by all those ferns (hmm a bit like my conservatory he he ) I remember going to the restaurant at Atkinsons on the Moor when I was a child, they had a stage with a piano and a string quartet, you could have waitress service or like us commoners go for self service lol

Says Manchester too I think

Great piccie thank you, don't think there is any sign of it now but will have a look tonight lol

Ah it was located in what is now the Rocks' carpark and beer garden here are a couple of photos taken tonight

A local told me that the steps at Westminster Abbey are made from Green Moor Stone because of it's extremely strong properties :blink:

The Great Central Railway and (MSL). lotts of info about it here ... Have a look

Top class photo carlie167.

Ah it was located in what is now the Rocks' carpark and beer garden here are a couple of photos taken tonight

A local told me that the steps at Westminster Abbey are made from Green Moor Stone because of it's extremely strong properties :blink:

Hi huthwaite Thanks for that this could be an idea for a new thread, Then and Now or words to that effect.!!!

Hi huthwaite Thanks for that this could be an idea for a new thread, Then and Now or words to that effect.!!!

Yes lol Brill idea!! he he

Guest carlie167
:unsure: Took this photo of Brunswick Chapel some years ago and didnt make a note of any info on it, so I have no idea where it is (or was). I know someone on the forum will be able to help, so over to you!

:unsure: Took this photo of Brunswick Chapel some years ago and didnt make a note of any info on it, so I have no idea where it is (or was). I know someone on the forum will be able to help, so over to you!

I think this is the chapel that used to be on Bramall Lane between Alderson Place and Rowland St,opposite Cherry St. It was pulled down in the 70's

Siren

Guest carlie167

I think this is the chapel that used to be on Bramall Lane between Alderson Place and Rowland St,opposite Cherry St. It was pulled down in the 70's

Siren

Thanks for that Siren, but according to the date in my album, it was taken in 1983 so its unlikely to be that one. Ah well, keep trying. :mellow:

Thanks for that Siren, but according to the date in my album, it was taken in 1983 so its unlikely to be that one. Ah well, keep trying. :mellow:

You might be right,my second try is the Chapel at the junction of Petre St/Sutherland Rd. Check the picture on "Picture Sheffield" I think that is your building. The one on Bramall Lane looked very similar.

Siren

Guest carlie167

<_< Nope!! Thanks anyway, been on Picture Sheffield, only one Brunswick Chapel, not mine Im afraid. Back to the drawing board.

<_< Nope!! Thanks anyway, been on Picture Sheffield, only one Brunswick Chapel, not mine I'm afraid. Back to the drawing board.

Carlie 167

Its not under Brunswick Chapel you have to search under Petre St, Brunswick Chapel is a generic name there were lots of them in Shefiield, they were also known by the streets on which they were built. They were on the Moor, Bramall Lane, Hanover St amongst others. Take a look I think you will find it is yours the front of the buiding is an exact match for yours

Siren

Siren

Are you saying that you think the picture of the chapel on Petre Street is EXACTLY the same as the one posted by Carlie?

If you are saying that old mate then I strongly advise you get your eyesight prescription changed.

Similar, maybe - but no way exactly the same ..........apart from the slope which the building is on is completly the opposite in both pics - yours has doors where the other does not and vice versa. There is a cicrular architectural feature at the top of the chapel on Carlies which isnt on yours - I could go on but please take another look.

Siren

Are you saying that you think ..... but please take another look.

Docmel

Ive had another look.....................made the appointment

Siren

Sheffield City Council should look long and hard at that photo and remember.

Yeah, they should remember what the Moor looked like as well. Is it me or were the roads wider? Certainly cleaner.

Sheffield has that much clutter on the roads and pavements now, it feels like you're tiptoeing through an antique shop.