Frankenstein

petersmith

I understand Radio Hallams Ray Stuart had a band in thr 60's called Frankenstein which was quite something to see. Did anyone see him, know him? He was my mothers cousin and I would love photo or anyones recollections for family history .

I understand Radio Hallams Ray Stuart had a band in thr 60's called Frankenstein which was quite something to see. Did anyone see him, know him? He was my mothers cousin and I would love photo or anyones recollections for family history .

yes i saw ray as frankestien quite scary at that time, late 60s early 70s i think. he had the bolt through neck....good though, he also used to dj in my then local the windsor on wytbourn.....................

Guest bunniesmum

YES, I DO! I worked with him in the 70s, at Radio Hallam., but its strange finding your request, as I just last weekend met another member of Ray`s 60s band, Frankenstein and the monsters, Dave Robinson who now and has done for 30 years, plays with the band - The pastmasters. My husband is a lot older than me, and he even saw ray, or should i say Frankenstein come out of a coffin on the stage, whilst the others were dressed as monsters, they played together about a year or so, and then Ray left, apparantly., however, what I could tell you about Ray, is that I remember him with GREATfondness, I worked with him at Hallam during the Golden eara, from 1975 to 1977, I had the time of my life!, I worked on the reception and switchboard there. Ray also dj my first wedding reception and I believe I have a lovely photo of him doing this. Does your mother rember him,. I thought he had another name you know, and the Ray Stewart was a kind of stage name. I would very much like to know where hs is, now he`s passed on. If you wish to know anything else, please ask I hope this helps.If anyone knows where Rays last resting place is could they let me know. By the way, if you want to get in touch with Dave Robinson X Fankenstien and the monsters, log on to Sheffield group the PastMasters, and go to one of their gigs, he usually comes out for a drink at the interval and is very approachable.

I thought he had another name you know, and the Ray Stewart was a kind of stage name. I would very much like to know where hs is, now he`s passed on.

"Big" Ray Stuart's real name was Frank Raymond Brookes. He retired to (and died in) the canary islands, so i suspect his final resting place is there.

Ray is mentioned in both these links

http://www.manchesterbeat.com/groups/frank...rankenstein.php

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/features/N...ived.4754546.jp

Or hear him in his Hallam Days

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mawlkw/Street%20Survey.mp3

Guest Drumbeat62

We (The Drumbeats) shared a gig with Ray Stewart and The Tremmors/Frankenstein & The Monsters at the Azena Ballroom in 1964.

Great gig great night.

I remember Ray as Frankenstein of course.

I also knew Ray in the 70's.

He had a terrace house somewhere at Heely

I fell from the bedroom window. :o

Guest Drumbeat62

I remember Ray as Frankenstein of course.

I also knew Ray in the 70's.

He had a terrace house somewhere at Heely

I fell from the bedroom window. :o

As a youngster until he got married Ray lived next door to My Wife's aunt on Carr Lane Dronfield Woodhouse, when he waa first married he lived at the top of Carr Lane in a stone cottage.

As you forum name is VOX thought you'd be interested in my Bass version 1963 Vox AC30, the bass I'm using is a 'Burns Split Sound 6 String Bass which was one of only 200 made..

As a youngster until he got married Ray lived next door to My Wife's aunt on Carr Lane Dronfield Woodhouse, when he waa first married he lived at the top of Carr Lane in a stone cottage.

As you forum name is VOX thought you'd be interested in my Bass version 1963 Vox AC30, the bass I'm using is a 'Burns Split Sound 6 String Bass which was one of only 200 made..

Wonderful stuff, great to see those old pics.

I have hardly any from those days. 4 or 5 photos and a few posters.

We started off with mostly RSC gear. The shop was at Haymarket.

If I remember rightly, a 30 watt RSC Bass Major combo,

The guitar amps were 30 watt RSC heads

PA (would you believe) was another 30 watt RSC head with a pair of columns.

We had a Watkins Copycat as well. (The touch of quality) lol

Guitars were Watkins Rapiers and I believe the bass player had a Watkins bass as well, although his first one was a Futurama.

I bought a Grampian ribbon mic eventually but my first one was a Duvidal christal mic. :o

"People still said we were too loud." :)

There's a photo on here somewhere. I'll have a look for it.

Guest Drumbeat62

Wonderful stuff, great to see those old pics.

I have hardly any from those days. 4 or 5 photos and a few posters.

We started off with mostly RSC gear. The shop was at Haymarket.

If I remember rightly, a 30 watt RSC Bass Major combo,

The guitar amps were 30 watt RSC heads

PA (would you believe) was another 30 watt RSC head with a pair of columns.

I think that most of us used RSC gear, the 30 watt Linear Concord being the most popular.

Here's a shot of my RSC gear on Walkely WMC early 63, this was before I got my Burns and Vox; also note the Copycat on the floor.

There is good photo of Frankenstein and the monsters with Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner from Coronation Street) at the Handsworth Working Mens Club in 1966.

It is on page 93 of the book "Sheffield in The Sixties" by Peter Goodman and published by The Star.

I would have scanned a copy here but no doubt the picture will be copyright of The Star so I am unable to legally do so.

Guest SuzyC

Remember seeing Frankenstein´s Monsters at the Ice Rink, they were an excellent group and put on a good show, rising out of the coffin was great. Was one of the members called Paul Jarvis?

http://www.squidoo.com/RememberingRog

There is good photo of Frankenstein and the monsters with Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner from Coronation Street) at the Handsworth Working Mens Club in 1966.

It is on page 93 of the book "Sheffield in The Sixties" by Peter Goodman and published by The Star.

I would have scanned a copy here but no doubt the picture will be copyright of The Star so I am unable to legally do so.

Never heard of 'em !

he he

Guest gowest1965

re frankenstein and the monsters my uncle was in that group he was the one that used to come out of the coffin, norman ( spud ) west who went onto many other groups in and around the sheffield club scene

Hi.

I remember Frankenstein and the Monsters playing at the Centre Spot at Base Green in the mid to late 60's. I think that Frankenstein came from Dronfield. It was a wonderful act with lots of blood and guts.

Wazzie Worrall

Well quite a few people remember my 2nd cousin, I only met him a couple of times, I was about 5 when this enormous stranger climbed over the fence at the top of the garden at Bradway and I ran to my mother who stated it was uncle ray. The other times were much much later at Bramall Lane and at Crosspool, even then I didn't have the nerve to speak to him , ah regrets. Many thanks for the replies. Pete Smith.