1965-1966

Guest Lolia

Hey guys

I am an international student, used to study at Sheffield University. I really enjoyed my stay at Sheffield, and I have decided to write a novel whose events takes place at the Beautiful Sheffield

Some of the novel's events took place over the period 1965-1966

I really need to know what key events took place during this period

I did my research and found out that the Queen came to open the Arts Tower. I also read that Hilsborough hosted 3 world cup football matches.

I would really appreciate it if you could remember, or ask someone who remembers, any events that happened during that specific period of time at Sheffield.

Two more questions, and forgive my ignorance please. During that time:

1) Was the steel industry thriving? What stage was it at?

2) Was 'record player' the only available device to play recorded music?

I look forward to hearing from you Sheffield people

All the best

Lolia

Hi Lolia,

firstly it was the Queen Mother who officially opened the Arts Tower in June 1966.

A few more to add ...

1965 The Hallam Tower Hotel was opened.

1965 Concessionary fares for old age pensioners were started.

1965 The Silver Blades ice rink on Queens Road was opened.

1965 St. Peters Church, Greenhill was opened

1966 The Grosvenor House Hotel was opened.

1966 Sheffield's boundaries were extended to include Frecheville, Beighton, Hackenthorpe and Birley.

1966 Eldon House, Charter Row was Built.

Hi Lolia,

firstly it was the Queen Mother who officially opened the Arts Tower in June 1966.

A few more to add ...

1965 The Hallam Tower Hotel was opened.

1965 Concessionary fares for old age pensioners were started.

1965 The Silver Blades ice rink on Queens Road was opened.

1965 St. Peters Church, Greenhill was opened

1966 The Grosvenor House Hotel was opened.

1966 Sheffield's boundaries were extended to include Frecheville, Beighton, Hackenthorpe and Birley.

1966 Eldon House, Charter Row was Built.

Eldon House was and still is the main telephone exchange in Sheffield, it was built as part of the modernisation in the 1960's and for the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialing (STD).

During my time at BT I spent 18 years working in there from 1976.

Thanks a lot for your swift response guys

I would appreciate it if you could add more events, or provide more info about these events

Any strange, unusual, event that is worth documenting, would also be welcomed

Many thanks again

2) Was 'record player' the only available device to play recorded music?

Lolia

Not sure if you are referring to Pre-Recorded music or not ?

But it's around that time that Reel to Reel tape recorders became affordable,

I remember having one, it was made by 'Grundig' and I use to record music (the top twenty) from the radio

using a microphone.

Thanks a lot for your swift response guys

I would appreciate it if you could add more events, or provide more info about these events

Any strange, unusual, event that is worth documenting, would also be welcomed

Many thanks again

A Sheffield team threw away a FA Cup Final :o

Wasn't it around this time in the mid 1960's that there was a lot of building work with new inovative developments in the town centre like the Hole In The Road?

I cannot thank you enough guys for the useful information.

Dunsbyowl: A Sheffield team threw away a FA Cup Final !

I am not sure I get this, could you please explain this point a bit more.

When the Queen Mother came to open the Arts Tower, do you know how she arrived there? Car or Carriage driven by horses?

One last question, I need to know please what type of devices were used around that time to play recorded music:

First: Cassette Tapes

Second:

Or Third:

Thanks a lot again

When the Queen Mother came to open the Arts Tower, do you know how she arrived there? Car or Carriage driven by horses?

One last question, I need to know please what type of devices were used around that time to play recorded music:

First: Cassette Tapes

Second:

Or Third:

Thanks a lot again

Most people would listen to music on records (No.3), as Steve has said Reel to Reel tapes was available but not used by most people (No.2)

No1 Cassettes 1965/66 was a little early for those, more like the early seventies.

See here :

Sheffield Wednesday were leading in the 1966 Football FA Cup Final against Everton 2-0 and managed to lose 3-2!

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/CompleteHistory...4~65729,00.html

Most people would listen to music on records (No.3), as Steve has said Reel to Reel tapes was available but not used by most people (No.2)

No1 Cassettes 1965/66 was a little early for those, more like the early seventies.

Got to agree with you here Stuart.

The "compact cassette" was practically unheard of in the 1960's although Phillips and Grundig had experimented with a large cassette containing conventional "reel to reel" reels from 1959. The problem with the compact cassette was how to reduce the tape speed without losing sound quality and until Mr. Dolby started research into this in the second half of the 1960's cassettes were either unknown or looked on as "cheap and nasty"

Reel to reel tape was good but was associated with professional recording studios. It was relatively expensive but at the time was the only way you could make audio recordings of your own, as SteveHB has already said, usually only through an attched microphone. As for listening to pre recorded music like the current charts reel to reel recordings were not that widely available so again fell short of the mark.

The record player was tops in the mid sixties, after all this was the height of the "swinging sixties" when groups like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were at their peak, British groups had captivated the world musically and had unprecidented success at selling records in massive numbers world wide. alongside this American records which had initially influenced the British groups were flooding into our market. Almost everyone I knew, and myself, owned a "Dansette" portable record player, in a large wooden case it was about as portable as a sack of potatoes but that was what everyone had, with a collection of chart hit 45rpm singles and a few long playing albums. When you went to a party the music was always courtesy of a Dansette and some borrowed records people had brought along. In public houses across the country, like the one that Stuart0742 used to live in there would be a Wurlitzer or a Rock-ola Juke Box with 100 45rpm records in it which could play any one of 200 titles of your choice for a few pence.

The mid sixties and records go together perfectly, tape recorders and cassettes at the time were either "also ran's" or just minor curiosities, the mass market was for records.

I have two more questions please:

1) I am trying to find photographs for trams during the 1965-1966 period.

Please have a look at the following photograph for Sheffield's old trams

Do you think that trams of 1966 look exactly as the above?

2)

Thanks a lot Sheffielders

1) I am trying to find photographs for trams during the 1965-1966 period.

Please have a look at the following photograph for Sheffield's old trams

Do you think that trams of 1966 look exactly as the above?

2)

Sheffield Trams like this finished in 1960

Sheffield Trams like this finished in 1960

Sure did, they were withdrawn from service during the late 1950's and replaced with buses. The last tram ran in october 1960 so that by the period you are interested in, 1965-66, all the trams had gone and public transport was by bus. Our members bus man and transit are experts in this field and would be able to tell you, and possibly show pictures of the makes and models of bus used in the Sheffield bus fleets during 1965 - 66.

Thanks Sturat & Dave for this valuable information.

Bus man & Transit, or any other Great Sheffielder; please I need to see pictures for Sheffield's busses over the period 1965-1966

If no pictures for Sheffields is available, a picture for busses used around the UK that time would suffice. I need to see these pictures so I can draw them myself; and then include them in my forthcoming novel

I also wish someone could answer the Queen Mother's question

Shanks's pony .. he he

Thanks Sturat & Dave for this valuable information.

Bus man & Transit, or any other Great Sheffielder; please I need to see pictures for Sheffield's busses over the period 1965-1966

If no pictures for Sheffields is available, a picture for busses used around the UK that time would suffice. I need to see these pictures so I can draw them myself; and then include them in my forthcoming novel

I also wish someone could answer the Queen Mother's question

Bus man and transit already have an extensive set of pictures of Sheffield buses on this site in the Sheffield Transport section. There is bound to be something in there which will be just what you are looking for.