Alfred Road & Newhall district (Old East End)

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

How about some specific memories of some of the characters from the Alfred Road area, any of the Newhall roads and streets like Paget Street, Don Road, Sanderson Street, Brightside Lane.

What about Rosie Skillington, that wonderful lady who had a beer-off on Alfred Road, and was so good to so many people, especially in hard times. You couldn't start with a better person.

Here's a picture of Brightside Lane Post Office...

How about some specific memories of some of the characters from the Alfred Road area, any of the Newhall roads and streets like Paget Street, Don Road, Sanderson Street, Brightside Lane.

What about Rosie Skillington, that wonderful lady who had a beer-off on Alfred Road, and was so good to so many people, especially in hard times. You couldn't start with a better person.

Here's a picture of Brightside Lane Post Office...

And here's a picture of Rosie's shop on Alfred Road!

i managed to find rose skillington resting place in shiregreen cemetery,she was cremated,there are three plaques one for rosie,her husband george & son

My parents married in 1938. My father, proudly told my Mum that he had found a house for them on Alfred Road. The story goes, she smiled at him and hoped he would be happy living there as she had no intention of joining him!

Hi my father was born in 1929 called Alfred wood known as Gordon he lived on Tyler street 5th row 34his grandad was Noah wood and are Clara,and Noah daughter Phoebe and eldest child to Phoebe was lily my dad went bright side school near jenkin road it would be nice if someone new my great grandad have came from Walsall and also lived on tinsley huts number 20 that's all I know. From a photo I have it looks like he worked trains in a steel work then they moved to deerlands avenue when built lily married into Robinson family she married Eric eldest son of John Robinson. Can anyone help to fill in blanks what was grandad nob or Phoebe was like I have no pictures of Phoebe has any one got group photos of any description I know it a tall order.