Google Earth

Guest Jeremy

Stuart0742 is using Google street to spy on me! He has already PMed me a link to the street shot of our house.

Although I can't load the latest version of Google Earth (see previous posts) the older version works OK with these street views, as does, again thanks to information from Stuart0742 the simplified version of Google maps (I can even get Google Maps to work on Windows 98, - not tried the street view from it yet though)

Also noticed that although I can't download the latest Google Earth the appearance of the sea has changed recently so it may even work on those sea bed shots.

You don't need Google Earth for this, just go direct to Google Maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Then drag the little orange man about lol , any streets that google have uploaded are highlighted with Blue borders

Guest skeets

They're adding new features all the time. In the US you can zoom down to street level in most major cities and you can move along the road and get a panoramic view of the neighbourhood. I haven't noticed it in England yet, but I'm sure that'll be coming soon.

HI Beery Welcome to the site, are you any relation to my favorite old time actor Wallace Beery Skeets

HI Beery Welcome to the site, are you any relation to my favorite old time actor Wallace Beery Skeets

No. Beery is just a nickname. :)

Guest PyeBanker

I have just looked at this new feature in Google Earth. Just click on "Street view" at the bottom left of the screen.

I entered "Sheffield Andover Street" and clicked on one of the cameras at the top of Andover Street

You can move round a 360-degree view - and there is the old Pye Bank School, and the doorway into the playground for the "little kids". Does anyone remember a daft new kid who blew into his milk straw instead of sucking? That was me, covered in milk, on my first day at school, probably in 1941.

My grandparents lived next to the school, at the corner of Gray Street and Andover Street, and my family lived at the next house down. This area is now covered by the "new" Pye Bank School as shown on another G.Earth camera. You can also find the old "White House" chip shop, looking exactly the same as I remember it! (Between Rock Street and Nottingham Street.)

The pictures are very clear and up-to-date - e.g. the new roads near the Wicker.

I don't know much about this feature; basically all of Google Earth makes me feel travel sick.

Is it possible to post a link to a particular view like the one you describe ? I'd have a look at a few, but, not many ! Others might find such links and a description of interest.

I don't know much about this feature; basically all of Google Earth makes me feel travel sick.

Is it possible to post a link to a particular view like the one you describe ? I'd have a look at a few, but, not many ! Others might find such links and a description of interest.

Yes you can post links to a particular view, very useful,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...4410805634,,0,5

One of my cars is on there but still can't find the one the wife was using

Yes you can post links to a particular view, very useful,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...4410805634,,0,5

One of my cars is on there but still can't find the one the wife was using

Is Google a bit like picturesheffield with their copyright?

Would they let us post Google Street images directly into sheffieldhistory without resorting to links?

After all there are several Google Earth images (not links) already on the site.

Google does not sell its images like picturesheffield, they are free to download for everyone so presumably reusing them, with a source sitation on a free to use basis on our site should be OK.

If we could use them freely that would be a lot of "now" pictures readily available for every "then" image we find.

Would they let us post Google Street images directly into sheffieldhistory without resorting to links?

After all there are several Google Earth images (not links) already on the site.

Google does not sell its images like picturesheffield, they are free to download for everyone so presumably reusing them, with a source sitation on a free to use basis on our site should be OK.

If we could use them freely that would be a lot of "now" pictures readily available for every "then" image we find.

They give you the facility to either copy as a link or embedded an image in a website, not sure how that would work

A bit like photography with out the walking about, Armchair photography lol

A bit like photography with out the walking about, Armchair photography lol

Sure is Stuart, and now, after your recent birthday, that you have got to my age :blink: perhaps we both need to slow down and start taking it easy a bit, so a little "armchair photography" is fine buy me lol

Even all this digital camera business we are using these days is a piece of cake compared to all that dark room chemistry we used to have to do when we were younger ;-)

They give you the facility to either copy as a link or embedded an image in a website, not sure how that would work

Its the embedded images bit that I would prefer.

I have noticed that when on the site and not logged in (ie as a guest) some of the images still appear, even though most appear only as links until you log in or sign up. Perhaps the images that just appear whatever are "embedded" and that an embedded Google image would behave like that.

Google allow posting of their images so long as they are attributed to Google and any copyright notices are not removed.

See http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

Jeremy

Thats what I thought Jeremy, and as "attributed to Google and any copyright notices are not removed." would not be a problem to us (we already do something like this with the OS maps) that could be a big advantage to us in allowing us to use these fantastic resources from Google here on Sheffield History without fear of breach of their copyright.

I can't find the time to read all the threads now I'm too busy searching the streets.

I bet NoseyNellie enjoys street view. lol

I can't find the time to read all the threads now I'm too busy searching the streets.

I bet NoseyNellie enjoys street view. lol

Hey, Stuart accuses me of wanting to do some "armchair photography" and all of a sudden there are a load of other people that just wander the streets of Sheffield, virtually, without getting out of their armchairs.

At least if you do wander the streets you get a bit of exercise.

Great stuff Stuart, that embedded image of Carver Street you have just done works a treat, and you can twist it round and look the other way just like on the original Google Street image.

How fantastic will that be if we start using it on here? After all Sheffield has very good coverage on Google Street.

Guest SheffBlade

Go to Googlemaps and enter a Sheffield address and then hit 'streetview' underneath. Great site ;-)