Weather

RichardB

30 miles, did 29.5 in good time; then over two hours to get the last half mile including 50 minutes to do 300 metres; A19/A689 junction. GRRRRR :angry:

30 miles, did 29.5 in good time; then over two hours to get the last half mile including 50 minutes to do 300 metres; A19/A689 junction. GRRRRR :angry:

RichardB HI My Regards, I can hardly see to type with the sun glare on my sceen ,no i'm not kidding. About this article by Tony Capstick, which you end Not a happy chap, l can identyfy with a lot of his words , he like myself did'nt have the silver spoon as the saying goes, and he would have seen , and heard a lot of this degregation , he talks of, amongt the pits of our society by working in some of the worst WMC's, and pubs when he first started out on his career, like l did working in a lot of slum housing, both as a joiner, and housing inspector ,lt sort of rubs off over the years, but l have difficulty saying where I hail from, to some people at any rate , as a hell of a lot of people do imagine Sheffield as Tony describes it, l am not a snob by any means, but l do feel uncomfortable thinking they may think of me as a person that comes from the degregation that Tony describes wether it was intended as as a joke or not l don't know. l only met Tony once about 1960 at the bar of Woodseats Social club l congratulated him on his performance and offered him a pint he said 'nay lad thanks but lv'e that many drinks paid for, it'll be a case of staying till about 2 to sup em all , winking at the steward. Skeets.

sorry if in wrong place

Journey to work is A61 Sheffield to Clay Cross, around 15 - 17 miles, normal journey time through Chesterfield town centre is about half an hour.

Homeward journey on Tuesday night (2/2/09) took 3hours 20 minutes due to snow conditions.

Outward Journey next morning took about 45 minutes with speed never exceeding 20mph

Got to work to be told the place was closed, I had been phoned to tell me not to bother about 5 minutes after I had set off, and I set off early knowing that it would take extra time to get there, - common sense really.

Homeward journey, now being made around 9am instead of 4pm still took an hour and a half as the temperature had dropped during the morning and froze all the partially melted snow on the road.

Now 30 years ago in the bad winter of 1978 / 9 I used to make the same journey by motorcycle and never moaned about and on one occasion I actually walked it to work (took just over 6 hours, walking through snow). I couldn't manage to do that anymore without putting myself in hospital trying.

Journey to work is A61 Sheffield to Clay Cross, around 15 - 17 miles, normal journey time through Chesterfield town centre is about half an hour.

Homeward journey on Tuesday night (2/2/09) took 3hours 20 minutes due to snow conditions.

Outward Journey next morning took about 45 minutes with speed never exceeding 20mph

Got to work to be told the place was closed, I had been phoned to tell me not to bother about 5 minutes after I had set off, and I set off early knowing that it would take extra time to get there, - common sense really.

Homeward journey, now being made around 9am instead of 4pm still took an hour and a half as the temperature had dropped during the morning and froze all the partially melted snow on the road.

Now 30 years ago in the bad winter of 1978 / 9 I used to make the same journey by motorcycle and never moaned about and on one occasion I actually walked it to work (took just over 6 hours, walking through snow). I couldn't manage to do that anymore without putting myself in hospital trying.

We went to Scarborough yesterday, there was a bit of snow on the way but not much.

Scarborough was the only place in the country with no snow. ( rained a lot last night though) today was a very sunny day. Then drove back through York, not much snow there, just a bit in the gardens.

Got back to Sheffield around 5pm utter chaos still, had to dig the drive out to get the car on, had to rescue my daughters car from a snow drift where it was left yesterday.

Such a difference between the Sheffield and York/Scarborough.

We went to Scarborough yesterday, there was a bit of snow on the way but not much.

Scarborough was the only place in the country with no snow. ( rained a lot last night though) today was a very sunny day. Then drove back through York, not much snow there, just a bit in the gardens.

Got back to Sheffield around 5pm utter chaos still, had to dig the drive out to get the car on, had to rescue my daughters car from a snow drift where it was left yesterday.

Such a difference between the Sheffield and York/Scarborough.

So the bad weather is coming from the East and Scarborough is on the East coast, so in direct line of it.

RichardB has had it rough in Tyneside which is North of Scarborough and we have had it rough in Sheffield to the South.

Looks like Scarborough has had a very lucky escape and that you have had a very lucky day away.

That was Monday

Tuesday school was closed due to heavy snow. Drove all the way out there in about an hour, never topping 20mph and having to park some distance away as the car park was inaccessible. Only found out it was closed when I got there so came back home. Conditions were worse coming home so took an hour and a half to do the 15 or so miles.

Wednesday was open for business as usual with no problems getting there or back, - except that works car park!

Thursday (today), more snow, set off in a blizzard, got half way there in about half an hour and heard on local radio Peak FM that we were closed. pulled into a very slippy snow covered lay by half way down the Dronfield by pass with conditions worsening by the minute and by the yard further south you went towards Chesterfield. Safely parked I picked up my mobile phone and found I had missed 4 calls, checked one of them and was told school closed, don't bother coming in! Carried on to do a complete circle of Whittington Moor roundabout and head for home, - another hour and a half and a gallon or so of petrol wasted!

Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

That was Monday

Tuesday school was closed due to heavy snow. Drove all the way out there in about an hour, never topping 20mph and having to park some distance away as the car park was inaccessible. Only found out it was closed when I got there so came back home. Conditions were worse coming home so took an hour and a half to do the 15 or so miles.

Wednesday was open for business as usual with no problems getting there or back, - except that works car park!

Thursday (today), more snow, set off in a blizzard, got half way there in about half an hour and heard on local radio Peak FM that we were closed. pulled into a very slippy snow covered lay by half way down the Dronfield by pass with conditions worsening by the minute and by the yard further south you went towards Chesterfield. Safely parked I picked up my mobile phone and found I had missed 4 calls, checked one of them and was told school closed, don't bother coming in! Carried on to do a complete circle of Whittington Moor roundabout and head for home, - another hour and a half and a gallon or so of petrol wasted!

Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

You mean you actualy worked 1 full day this week lol

You mean you actualy worked 1 full day this week lol

No 2 full days, Monday and Wednesday.

Hope to be back to full service tomorrow making 3 by the end of the week

A 3 day working week, - in the early 1970's Mr. Heath would have been happy with that!

A 3 day working week, - in the early 1970's Mr. Heath would have been happy with that!

Thats my ambition 3 day working week for 5 days pay, not going to happen is it :( , may be a 0 working days for no pay though that may happen :angry:

Thats my ambition 3 day working week for 5 days pay, not going to happen is it :( , may be a 0 working days for no pay though that may happen :angry:

Oh Dear, the recession bites ever deeper :(

Went to doctors Friday morning, now off work ill so it was only a 2 day week.

It's now Sunday night and its snowing heavily again, wonder what tomorrow will bring trying to get to work.

Anyway I won't be going back until at least Wednesday.