Photos

Stuart0742

In another topic my Aviator has been described as a "Alsation threatening somebody the other side of a gate

Whate about some photo's of us the members as younger people or even a "Then & Now"

As ever to add some fun a question

1. Who lived in the houses behind me? See post #14

In another topic my Aviator has been described as a "Alsation threatening somebody the other side of a gate

Whate about some photo's of us the members as younger people or even a "Then & Now"

1. Who lived in the houses behind me?

Didn't realise it was you mate, - can't make out enough detail in a small avatar

So, the person is you, aged about 11 at a guess

The alsation is your guard dog at the pub you lived in (forgot her name but you still had her when you moved out to Hackenthorpe)

The location then is your old pub, The Rodley Inn, Rodley Lane Sheffield (just off Leadmill Road)

and, I'll probably be DISQUALIFIED for having insider information again if I say that the person living in the houses behind you is.... see Post #14

1. Who lived in the houses behind me?

Come on somebody must be willing to post a photo of themselves :rolleyes:

Don't know how, and whilst I'm confessing this, please can anyone recommend a book that gives basic info and "how to do things" on the net.

Guest Trefcon

Go on then, this is me in about 1968/9 at Flamingo Land!

then an after one heading out from Cairns to Green Island on the Barrier Reef a couple of years ago.

Dean.

Don't know how, and whilst I'm confessing this, please can anyone recommend a book that gives basic info and "how to do things" on the net.

Hi Italy, the Amazon site has books on the internet. The first in this list may suit you....internet for beginners. But if you want more advanced stuff, it's in there somewhere! Oh!....and welcome to Sheffield History. (if you have a particular problem, post it under General Chat and we'll help all we can.)

Laurence

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=...p;x=12&y=17

Didn't realise it was you mate, - can't make out enough detail in a small avatar

So, the person is you, aged about 11 at a guess

The alsation is your guard dog at the pub you lived in (forgot her name but you still had her when you moved out to Hackenthorpe)

The location then is your old pub, The Rodley Inn, Rodley Lane Sheffield (just off Leadmill Road)

and, I'll probably be DISQUALIFIED for having insider information again if I say that the person living in the houses behind you is.... XXXXXX

Memory just coming back.

The alsation you had at the pub which you still had at Hackenthorpe was called Rocky

But given your age here, and the year it would be, this is not Rocky in the picture. I seem to remember you got Rocky from a litter of pups from your previous alsation guard dog and I think the dog in the picture is Rocky's mother, - don't think I ever knew her name.

I take it from the edit to remove my previous answer that the quiz is still open to those members who are not disqualified from entering because they have "insider information". seems fair enough I suppose.

Now, just got to find a very old picture of myself to post in this thread and then swap it for my Vulcan avitar.

Memory just coming back.

The alsation you had at the pub which you still had at Hackenthorpe was called Rocky

But given your age here, and the year it would be, this is not Rocky in the picture. I seem to remember you got Rocky from a litter of pups from your previous alsation guard dog and I think the dog in the picture is Rocky's mother, - don't think I ever knew her name.

I take it from the edit to remove my previous answer that the quiz is still open to those members who are not disqualified from entering because they have "insider information". seems fair enough I suppose.

Now, just got to find a very old picture of myself to post in this thread and then swap it for my Vulcan avitar.

The dogs name was Carla she was a good guard dog.

The dogs name was Carla she was a good guard dog.

The fact that she was a good guard dog appears to be frighteningly evident in your picture.

I suppose I owe you this one Stuart as it was me who descibed your avitar as a dog threatening to bite someone on the other side of a gate.

I notice no one has guessed who lived opposite you at this time other than myself.

Anyway here's one of me, scanned with great difficulty from a 3.5" by 2.25" negative from a camera which produced 8 such negatives on a single roll of 120 film.

That's me at the front with my mum stood just behind holding my younger brother. From my brothers age (don't babies grow up quick) I can tell that this picture was taken in the summer of 1962, so that would make me 7.

More interesting from a Sheffield History point of view is our old house on Algar Place, Arbourthorne. It is one of the prefabricated asbestos houses, most of which had been destroyed only a few months earlier in the Sheffield Hurricane of February 1962. Our house escaped relatively untouched, but higher up the hill behind us the damage became more severe until there were none left standing. An interesting view showing a small detail of housing no longer to be seen. To the right of the picture by the way is the coal shed.

The picture is suffering from a few tram rail scratch marks which hopefully will clean up

As both myself and Stuart0742 have now posted pictures of ourselves from a time before we actually met when we were at infant school I hope Stuart isn't going to follow deansgirl's lead and make our pictures into a members "then and now"!!!

I suppose I owe you this one Stuart as it was me who descibed your avitar as a dog threatening to bite someone on the other side of a gate.

I notice no one has guessed who lived opposite you at this time other than myself.

Anyway here's one of me, scanned with great difficulty from a 3.5" by 2.25" negative from a camera which produced 8 such negatives on a single roll of 120 film.

That's me at the front with my mum stood just behind holding my younger brother. From my brothers age (don't babies grow up quick) I can tell that this picture was taken in the summer of 1962, so that would make me 7.

More interesting from a Sheffield History point of view is our old house on Algar Place, Arbourthorne. It is one of the prefabricated asbestos houses, most of which had been destroyed only a few months earlier in the Sheffield Hurricane of February 1962. Our house escaped relatively untouched, but higher up the hill behind us the damage became more severe until there were none left standing. An interesting view showing a small detail of housing no longer to be seen. To the right of the picture by the way is the coal shed.

The picture is suffering from a few tram rail scratch marks which hopefully will clean up

As both myself and Stuart0742 have now posted pictures of ourselves from a time before we actually met when we were at infant school I hope Stuart isn't going to follow deansgirl's lead and make our pictures into a members "then and now"!!!

Then & Now mmm theres an idea, biggest problem would be the locations

Then & Now mmm theres an idea, biggest problem would be the locations

Neither of the locations in either of our then pictures, our former homes, actually exist any more do they.

You never did put a date to your "then" avitar picture.

The then and now of members is not my idea, - blame deansgirl, -he's already done a then and now of himself in the earlier post #5 in this thread.

Looking at Stuarts from the opposite direction,

photo taken from my attic window.

So is that gate top centre the one that Stuart would have been on this side of with the dog on the other?

Are all those cars (which I am sure Stuart will try to identify) in the Rodley Inn car park or just parked up on some waste land near Leadmill road bus depot?

Are all the owners of those cars drinking in the Rodley Inn?

Does your photograph (no date given) pre date the drink driving laws?

Stuart would say that he can't do a now shot to go with this then shot as the place doesn't exist any more (still worth a try though)

By the way Steve, you've just blown your cover on Stuarts mystery fun question, (guess whol ived in the houses behind me). Anyway I had guessed straight away and he edited my answer out with XXXXX to keep the quiz open. As you were the actual answer to this question that's more "insider information" than I had, and I get DISQUALIFIED from his quizzes for that!!

Sorry Dean could not resist, come on the rest of you don't be shy

Now now Stuart,

Deansgirls already admitted in his post that his then is in Flamingo Land in North Yorkshire and his now is near Cairnes on the Great Barrier Reef. these locations are about 11,000 miles apart, and you want us to match the locations!!!!

So is that gate top centre the one that Stuart would have been on this side of with the dog on the other?

Are all those cars (which I am sure Stuart will try to identify) in the Rodley Inn car park or just parked up on some waste land near Leadmill road bus depot?

Stuart would say that he can't do a now shot to go with this then shot as the place doesn't exist any more (still worth a try though)

By the way Steve, you've just blown your cover on Stuarts mystery fun question, (guess whol ived in the houses behind me). Anyway I had guessed straight away and he edited my answer out with XXXXX to keep the quiz open. As you were the actual answer to this question that's more "insider information" than I had, and I get DISQUALIFIED from his quizzes for that!!

Yes the same gates, the cars are parked on waste land, who knows where the drivers are, may be in the Rodley Inn drinking.

The drink drive laws came into force whilst we were in the Rodley, did not help the already poor business. There was always Leadmill bus garage accross the road, the drivers always like a pint or two.

Yes the same gates, the cars are parked on waste land, who knows where the drivers are, may be in the Rodley Inn drinking.

The drink drive laws came into force whilst we were in the Rodley, did not help the already poor business. There was always Leadmill bus garage accross the road, the drivers always like a pint or two.

I think the drink drive laws, and the related "breathalyser test" came out in 1967, and I did realise that you would be at the Rodley Inn when they came out, so there you have it from Stuart, -

1967, - good year for road safety and accident prevention but a poor year for running a boozer as a business!

I think the drink drive laws, and the related "breathalyser test" came out in 1967, and I did realise that you would be at the Rodley Inn when they came out, so there you have it from Stuart, -

1967, - good year for road safety and accident prevention but a poor year for running a boozer as a business!

We moved in there either late 63 or early 64 can't remember exactly til late 69 early 70.

We moved in there either late 63 or early 64 can't remember exactly til late 69 early 70.

I've still got some 1970's pictures, from the same rolls of film I have used in posts so frequently here already, that show both you and myself as we were at that time.

I've still got some 1970's pictures, from the same rolls of film I have used in posts so frequently here already, that show both you and myself as we were at that time.

Are you going to post them?

Its the car in the middle with the L plates I can't place

1. Who lived in the houses behind me? See post #14

this one ok Stuart82 yrs ago skeets