Gleadless - Photo Thread

DaveH

not a great shot (taken on my mobile), a bit blurred but this was taken this morning on my way to work

definately taking shape. just hope it stays that way when finished

Yes it's definately looking a lot better.

Looks like you either go to work through Herdings Park or you catch the Supertram from the Herdings Park terminus.

the top picture, where the old house is. see the gap between the privet leading to the house?

thats where i first met my wife lol

So you met your wife at Ashleigh School :o

Is she an ex student of Ashleigh?

The old house was once the 6th form common room and private study area, but in my time there it had been moved into the main school.

I met my wife, a Darnall lass who went to Waltheof School while she was working in the Fellbrigg pub at the bottom of Arbourthorne Road / Park Grange Road.

I think I may have told the story in the pubs topic in the thread about the Fellbrigg.

Guest wayneybabes

Yes it's definately looking a lot better.

Looks like you either go to work through Herdings Park or you catch the Supertram from the Herdings Park terminus.

yes, i get the tram to town then walk into work on the wicker

Guest wayneybabes

So you met your wife at Ashleigh School :o

Is she an ex student of Ashleigh?

she is an ex student of myrtle springs. she was at school when i met her. we used to play football in our dinner breaks on the little field in front of the old sixth form building through the privet and she and her friends used to come and watch us. Then a couple of years later (1999) we got together and now 3 kids and a mortgage later............ lol

yes, i get the tram to town then walk into work on the wicker

Now when the Herdings Supertram terminus was first built it was envisaged that there would be a large "park and ride" car park nearby (possibly on the site of the old Norton Aerodrome) so that visitors from Derbyshire could park up and get the tram into town, or even to Meadowhell without cluttering the city up with cars parked everywhere.

I noticed that thais scheme never got finished, - and other than a park and ride the Herdings seems a strange bit of an out of the way place to build a tram route to.

she is an ex student of myrtle springs. she was at school when i met her. we used to play football in our dinner breaks on the little field in front of the old sixth form building through the privet and she and her friends used to come and watch us. Then a couple of years later (1999) we got together and now 3 kids and a mortgage later............ lol

So, me and you are both ex students of Norfolk while me and your wife are both ex students of Ashleigh / Myrtle Springs.

Seems to be something else we have in common. ;-)

I would have liked to have done a full thread just on Ashleigh School in a similar way to the Norfolk one but I don't have enough material to post and enough information about people, characters and events as I was only there for 2 years for 6th form only so I wouldn't be able to do it justice like the Norfolk thread.

Further to this, there seems to be fewer Sheffield History members who went to this school compared to Norfolk who could help me out with information / pictures etc.

But then again, in the future who knows? May get the chance to start or contribute to a thread on it yet.

Guest wayneybabes

I noticed that thais scheme never got finished, - and other than a park and ride the Herdings seems a strange bit of an out of the way place to build a tram route to.

i'm not complaining though!. £12 per week to ride on a smooth mode of transport compared to paying £17 or whatever to be jerked about, left waiting etc etc.

Strange how on weekdays the herdings tram is every 30 minutes peak time but on sundays, a day known for less public transport on the roads, the trams are every 20 minutes!!.

also, the tram is a godsend as there are no buses linking herdings to manor top so i can go to becketts chippy lol

Guest wayneybabes

So, me and you are both ex students of Norfolk while me and your wife are both ex students of Ashleigh / Myrtle Springs.

Seems to be something else we have in common. ;-)

I would have liked to have done a full thread just on Ashleigh School in a similar way to the Norfolk one but I don't have enough material to post and enough information about people, characters and events as I was only there for 2 years for 6th form only so I wouldn't be able to do it justice like the Norfolk thread.

Further to this, there seems to be fewer Sheffield History members who went to this school compared to Norfolk who could help me out with information / pictures etc.

But then again, in the future who knows? May get the chance to start or contribute to a thread on it yet.

give it a few years and my wife may get sentimental about her school years (she thinks i am a sad person going on about school all the time!) and post on here lol

give it a few years and my wife may get sentimental about her school years (she thinks i am a sad person going on about school all the time!) and post on here lol

That's wives for you just don't understand the important things in life lol

They don't understand sheds and the the collections of stuff us males keep either.

I can't repeat what my wife says about DaveH and myself :o

Apologies to any female members, there are exceptions to every rule.

Guest wayneybabes

They don't understand sheds and the the collections of stuff us males keep either.

Apologies to any femail members, there are exceptions to every rule.

as the old saying goes..................

"You dont know what youve got 'till its gone"

i'm not complaining though!. £12 per week to ride on a smooth mode of transport compared to paying £17 or whatever to be jerked about, left waiting etc etc.

Strange how on weekdays the herdings tram is every 30 minutes peak time but on sundays, a day known for less public transport on the roads, the trams are every 20 minutes!!.

also, the tram is a godsend as there are no buses linking herdings to manor top so i can go to becketts chippy lol

Best thing about the Supertram for you wayneybabes is that on a Saturday afternoon when the Owls are playing at home you can get the tram from Herdings to Hillsborough (Malin Bridge) to go and watch the match, and then get the tram home after lol

If you had been a Blades fan although Bramall Lane is closer to Herdings you would probably have had to do a bit more walking to get there. lol

Apologies to any female members, there are exceptions to every rule.

I don't know what your wife says about me and you either.

If she won't tell me herself you will have to tell me in the boozer. lol

My wife understands about sheds, - she's got several down on her allotment ;-)

For an ex Norfolk student who had Man Wright for English that's a pretty poor spelling of female

Note the spellings Stuart, - [teacher mode on]

FEMALE, - this means a woman :o

FEMAIL, - this is something to do with sending iron through the post! :huh:

Its a bit like the difference between STUDENT and PUPIL lol [teacher mode off, - anyway its after 4 o'clock on friday afternoon he he ]

Had a word with my Mum, and we trying to remember the original occupants of the Herdings Shops in the sixties

So, borrowing DaveH's photo:

From left to right:

Family Butchers (can't remember the name)

Grocery Shop (I seem to think it was part of the VG chain)

Greengrocers (This was later to become a Fish & Chip shop)

Humphries the Newsagents

Off screen:

S&E Co-op

S&E Co-op Butchers

Two butchers in the same row of shops :huh:

Had a word with my Mum, and we trying to remember the original occupants of the Herdings Shops in the sixties

So, borrowing DaveH's photo:

From left to right:

Family Butchers (can't remember the name)

Grocery Shop (I seem to think it was part of the VG chain)

Greengrocers (This was later to become a Fish & Chip shop)

Humphries the Newsagents

Off screen:

S&E Co-op

S&E Co-op Butchers

Two butchers in the same row of shops :huh:

Thanks Markbaby

There was a VG shop, - I wonder what happened to them? If it was a chain you never seem to see a branch at all now.

The newsagents was Humphries, - so was Hibberts the one at Gleadless Townend?

Yes there were 2 butchers. In the late 1960's when I used to cycle around the estate there was a little old widow who lived on her own on Leighton Drive and could hardly get out of the house. She used to signal to me by knocking on her window and when I went to the house she would give me some money and ask me to run an errand up to the butchers to get her a pork chop or a few sausages. She would insist "Go to that proper butchers for me, not the Co-Op". The "proper butcher" must have known her personally as he was used to people fetching meat for her and always reduced the price for her.

Now available in colour!

Betcha can't guess which was my bedroom? ;-)

The only other place I've seen this design of house is at intake. If anybody knows of any more I'd love to see them.

The houses on the fraser estate on woodseats are exactly the same mate

For many years now every Sunday a bloke turns up with this big van and parks in the lay by on Norton Avenue behind Herdings Park to sell fresh fruit and vegetables and the like

You can get some good bargains off him on big sacks of potatoes and eggs by the gross (144 or 12 dozen)

He was still there today and from this better picture you can see the extent and range of goods he has for sale.

Repairs on the old Herdings farmhouse are comming along well. It now has a brand new roof.

Now looks as good as new ;-)

Except that its supposed to be a 14th century farmhouse building :o

Now looks as good as new ;-)

Except that its supposed to be a 14th century farmhouse building :o

Some better views of the Herdings 14th century farmhouse after its recent restoration.

Again seen from a different perspective

Close to those towers on the top of Herdings Hill is an old survey stone for fixing a theodelite and triangulating the area.

My pictures of this appear in another topic specifically on survey markers and can be found here, -

Triangulation Point

Now when the Herdings Supertram terminus was first built it was envisaged that there would be a large "park and ride" car park nearby (possibly on the site of the old Norton Aerodrome) so that visitors from Derbyshire could park up and get the tram into town, or even to Meadowhell without cluttering the city up with cars parked everywhere.

Herdings terminus, end of the line.

The Supertram world ends here, you can't go any further.

Not quite sure where I took this shot overlooking the Gleadless Valley

Over a year later, based on a suggestion by Markbaby that it was taken on Raeburn Road from behind the old No. 28 bus terminus opposite Herdings park I finally got the matching NOW picture.

Guest wayneybabes

So how many shops are there in the row? just 2? or 3 or 4?

What do Mick & Jenny sell?

To be honest it is years since I went up there to do any shopping so I haven't a clue what the shops are now.

Heard from a reliable source that the hairdressers are/have moving/moved downstairs and mick and jenny have applied for planning permission to take over the premises and extend thier shop

Guest wayneybabes

Over a year later, based on a suggestion by Markbaby that it was taken on Raeburn Road from behind the old No. 28 bus terminus opposite Herdings park I finally got the matching NOW picture.

Hey Dave, to the left of the photo (just behind the old maisonettes which used to overlook the bus terminus) is an entrance leading through the woods (called the lumb)

onto Ironside Road. As you get to the stream, go over the bridge and up the steps, if you turn left and go to the house with the big green fence and knock on the door i am sure my wife will make you a coffee lol

Hey Dave, to the left of the photo (just behind the old maisonettes which used to overlook the bus terminus) is an entrance leading through the woods (called the lumb)

onto Ironside Road. As you get to the stream, go over the bridge and up the steps, if you turn left and go to the house with the big green fence and knock on the door i am sure my wife will make you a coffee lol

Could be giving away top secret classified information there wayneybabes, we aren't allowed to mention the educational establishment formally known as A******* S***** any more in a certain topic.