Gleadless - Photo Thread

DaveH

Is Janet 3rd in from the left front row?

Does the name Tim Toulson ring any bells?

Yes, - that's Janet

Tim Toulson?

Not really, sounds familiar but can't place the name to the face.

Weather or not I know these people depends largely on what subjects they were taking.

What did he do at A level?

How do you know him? Did he work at BT or just someone off the Hackenthorpe perhaps?

Yes, - that's Janet

Tim Toulson?

Not really, sounds familiar but can't place the name to the face.

Weather or not I know these people depends largely on what subjects they were taking.

What did he do at A level?

How do you know him? Did he work at BT or just someone off the Hackenthorpe perhaps?

Worked at BT, no idea what he took at A level

Worked at BT, no idea what he took at A level

To work for BT I would have thought maths and sciences, - but if he had taken them I would definately know him.

For many years now every Sunday a bloke turns up with this big van and parks in the lay by on Norton Avenue behind Herdings Park to sell fresh fruit and vegetables and the like

You can get some good bargains off him on big sacks of potatoes and eggs by the gross (144 or 12 dozen)

We once bought 2 dozen eggs off him, took them home and put them on the kitchen side before going out again. The dog, little more than a puppy at the time jumped up to get at them and knocked them on the floor breaking them. She then proceeded to eat the lot, including most of the shells. She was sick and not very well for several days and never did it again.

Our previous dog was asleep in the hallway one hot summers night when a bottle of home brewed wine decided to start fermenting in the bottle and blew its cork out down the hall waking the dog up. The wine from the horizontal bottle had spurted out and fallen mainly in the dogs dish on the kitchen floor below the wine rack, so when the dog went to investigate the poping, flying cork he discovered his dish full of Chateau de Sheffield vintage wine which he drunk. Result, another sick and not very well dog.

Moral of these stories.

Dogs are greedy and should not be trusted in the kitchen.

Here's a try at a new way of getting images.

The picture is taken as a screen capture from Google Street, taking the required measures from Google of keeping their logo and copyright intact.

It's what Stuart0742 referred to as "armchair photography", basically it means I couldn't be bothered to go out and take the picture myself :o

The picture shows the Somerfield Supermarket on Whites Lane Gleadless.

A very ordinary looking building but a building with a piece of unusual history which I was reminded of today while making an entry into another thread about acts which have appeared at the City Hall.

Building of the Charnock Estate began in 1937 but was interupted by the war and was not completed until well into the 1950's. It is on the site of Charnock Park which originally had its own Hall (Charnock Hall) and farm.

In 1957 Arnold and Zena Fidler had this building built. They were ballroom dancers and built it as a ballroom and called it the "AZENA" (a contraction of their names, Arnold & ZENA) It was run as a ballroom until their retirement in the 1970's when it became a supermarket as it is today. They died in 2003.

However, the date which made the AZENA BALLROOM famous was Tuesday 12 February 1963 when THE BEATLES made their first ever appearance in the City at a time when they were already well known locally but Beatlemania had not yet arrived.

The booking of The Beatles had been secured by Sheffield's own Peter Stringfellow, and he had got them for the pricely sum of �85. Originally they were to have appeared at St. Aidens Church Hall on City Road opposite the end of Manor Lane but the expected large crowd lead the local police to advise that it should be moved to another venue which could contain the larger than usual turn out, and that's where the Azena came in.

There appears to be no record of what they sung or what they sounded like, but, -

1. They also sang at the Astoria Ballroom, Oldham later the same day, and, -

2. The previous day they had been at EMI Abbey Road Studios in Studio 2 recording their debut album "Please Please Me". They had recorded 10 new tracks to make up this 14 track album. They had a limited studio time to do this and did the album in about 3 lots of 3 hour sessions that day. It is well recorded that John Lennon had a cold and a sore throat and got through the day on cigarettes, tea, milk and a packet of "Zubes" despite having to roar out the words to "Twist and Shout".

From this we can conclude that

1. They probably sung their latest hit, "Please Please Me" and other hits from the album of the same title they had recorded only the day before.

2. If they could be heard at all above those local screaming fans, then they probably didn't sound at their best.

Unless of course we have any members who were actually lucky enough to have attended this event and can tell us what it was really like.

The booking of The Beatles had been secured by Sheffield's own Peter Stringfellow, and he had got them for the pricely sum of �85. Originally they were to have appeared at St. Aidens Church Hall on City Road opposite the end of Manor Lane but the expected large crowd lead the local police to advise that it should be moved to another venue which could contain the larger than usual turn out, and that's where the Azena came in.

And here is the original venue on City Road.

This was St. Aidens Church hall but now appears to be Bethel United Reform Church.

St. Aidens church itself is on the opposite side of City Road facing it from the bottom of Manor Lane.

I can remember in the 1960's several functions taking place at St. Aidens church hall but by the 1970's it was used less often and I think (confirmation needed from mike142sl if possible) it was a venue used by a local group of scouts.

There was the 143rd St Aiden's Scout Group that opened in 1923, however I don't have details of where they actually met or when they closed.

There was the 143rd St Aiden's Scout Group that opened in 1923, however I don't have details of where they actually met or when they closed.

Thanks for the confirmation Mike, I knew you would be the man to ask on a scouting matter.

Guest Zoe Mezzy

if this has worked this is a photo of me and the family out side our house on the valley just down from holy cross church i know its not in keeping with the rest of ya photos but thought i would upload it for a giggle

photo_back.bmp

And here is the original venue on City Road.

This was St. Aidens Church hall but now appears to be Bethel United Reform Church.

St. Aidens church itself is on the opposite side of City Road facing it from the bottom of Manor Lane.

I can remember in the 1960's several functions taking place at St. Aidens church hall but by the 1970's it was used less often and I think (confirmation needed from mike142sl if possible) it was a venue used by a local group of scouts.

St Aidens Church hall was The Black cat club in the 60's. I played there a few times.

It was Pete Stringfellow's first club.

if this has worked this is a photo of me and the family out side our house on the valley just down from holy cross church i know its not in keeping with the rest of ya photos but thought i would upload it for a giggle

Thanks Zoe Mezzy and welcome to Sheffield History.

Your picture (in the snow) has appeared as a link and will show when clicked but has not appeared as a thumbnail.

It is in keeping with the rest of the pictures as it is a GLEADLESS picture and that is what this thread is all about, - its just that when I took my pictures I was higher up the valley and never wandered down that far.

I can't photograph everything in the area so the more members that post interesting and relevant (ie Gleadless area) pictures here the better.

Thank You for your contribution so far.

St Aidens Church hall was The Black cat club in the 60's. I played there a few times.

It was Pete Stringfellow's first club.

Yes I knew it was Stringfellows and that it was called the black cat but I didn't mention that because the location of the black cat club always causes arguments as I believe there was more than one club in the city with that name and they were both owned by Pete Stringfellow.

However, to me, living in this part of town, St Aidens club was "the black cat" even though others frequently disagreed with me.

It was certainly the original venue intended by Stringfellow for the first appearance of the Beatles in Sheffield before switching it to the larger Azena at Gleadless.

I didn't realise that YOU had played there though vox, - obviously missed out on another good act as well as the Beatles then lol

Yes I knew it was Stringfellows and that it was called the black cat but I didn't mention that because the location of the black cat club always causes arguments as I believe there was more than one club in the city with that name and they were both owned by Pete Stringfellow.

However, to me, living in this part of town, St Aidens club was "the black cat" even though others frequently disagreed with me.

It was certainly the original venue intended by Stringfellow for the first appearance of the Beatles in Sheffield before switching it to the larger Azena at Gleadless.

I didn't realise that YOU had played there though vox, - obviously missed out on another good act as well as the Beatles then lol

:o:P lol

Take it from me you're right dave. As to weather there was another one as well I don't know but:

Anyone who doubts this can read this:-

"In 1962, after working in sales for four years, I started running dances on a Friday night from the church hall at St Aiden's, which I called the Black Cat Club. Every Friday morning we transformed the place with rock and roll paraphernalia, red lights and posters" Quoted from here. INTERVIEW FOR THE TELEGRAPH

And there the similarity ended I think. :)

No "voxmania"

No big international tours

No vast income and rich lifestyle

No vast income from song royalties forever after :(

Oh well, look on the bright side

No trouble with drugs

No silly ideas from mystical gurus

No falling out with your mates

No one trying to kill you lol

Just being yourself does have its advantages.

Take it from me you're right dave. As to weather there was another one as well I don't know but:

Anyone who doubts this can read this:-

"In 1962, after working in sales for four years, I started running dances on a Friday night from the church hall at St Aiden's, which I called the Black Cat Club. Every Friday morning we transformed the place with rock and roll paraphernalia, red lights and posters" Quoted from here. INTERVIEW FOR THE TELEGRAPH

I don't know where the other "black cat" club was but somewhere in Sheffield was a similar club called "the cats craddle" which I think people confused with the "black cat"

"The Black Cat" is a strange name for a club which plays "modern" music, I would assocciate it more with Jazz from the 1920's and 30's.

Was the black cat ever a Jazz based club?

You see "Black" is not neccesarily a colour (noir), it could be a reference to someones race and skin tone, - a reference to the Afro - Americans who actually invented Jazz

Likewise "Cat" doesn't have to refer to a feline mammal, it could refer to a "Cool Cat" or a "Hep Cat", someone who is "Hep to the Jive", that knows and understands the culture of Jazz and is familiar with the music down to every last nuance and bent note in a pentatonic scale. Again very "Jazz" making it sound like a Jazz Club name.

If it has never been a Jazz club why didn't its now famous owner just call it "Strigfellows" instead?

Just reading through the Gleadless stuff again, I note that in Post 14 the pub at Townend is referred to as the Horse and Lion. Think it is really the Red Lion!

Just reading through the Gleadless stuff again, I note that in Post 14 the pub at Townend is referred to as the Horse and Lion. Think it is really the Red Lion!

Thanks madannie, my mistake, I will edit it to correct it.

Thanks madannie, my mistake, I will edit it to correct it.

All corrected now.

I hope someone who is in the know can tell me how to insert one of those "Reason for Edit" boxes at the end of an edited post.

All corrected now.

I hope someone who is in the know can tell me how to insert one of those "Reason for Edit" boxes at the end of an edited post.

Simple, just edit in normal way then there is a text box to enter relevant text,

Simple, just edit in normal way then there is a text box to enter relevant text,

I wondered about that as well. :huh:

I have to type it in.

Looks like I'm missing a bit of kit. <_<

Or is it just the Moderators who get one of those luxury boxes?

Here's what I get.

Reason for edit:- Just being silly :)

I wondered about that as well. :huh:

I have to type it in.

Looks like I'm missing a bit of kit. <_<

Or is it just the Moderators who get one of those luxury boxes?

Here's what I get.

Reason for edit:- Just being silly :)

Just tried it vox and I get the same as you, so like you I just had to type it in as well.

Must be something for the "mods", us "rockers" don't get it lol

Just tried it vox and I get the same as you, so like you I just had to type it in as well.

Must be something for the "mods", us "rockers" don't get it lol

Well you learn summat new everyday lol