Gleadless - Photo Thread

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

Could be giving away top secret classified information there wayneybabes, we aren't allowed to mention the educational establishment formally known as A******* S***** any more in a certain topic.

I havent got the foggiest what you mean Dave lol

DaveH,

I just seen your photo of Gleadless Common looking towards Manor top. You don't happen to have any photos looking the other way towards Hollinsend Road. I'm particualrly interested in the old coal house/yard which is opposite the New Inn Pub.

Mex

Gleadless Common in 1971

Viewed from near the bottom looking up towards Hurlfield Road.

This picture is taken with Leadbeater Road on my left, the view shows to the left the other Leadbeater which goes to the old farm, Ashleigh School fields and the Gleadless Crescent houses beyond. On the right Durlstone Road can be made out.

DaveH,

I just seen your photo of Gleadless Common looking towards Manor top. You don't happen to have any photos looking the other way towards Hollinsend Road. I'm particualrly interested in the old coal house/yard which is opposite the New Inn Pub.

Mex

Hi Mex and welcome to the forum,

where abouts is/was the old coal house/yard please.

Is it shown on this section of map?

Linl to 1950's OS map #124

SteveHB

The old coal house is Nr 297 Hollinsend Road. The building to the left is either a garage or building to cover a pit entrance. I'm interested in this site and what it used to look like around 1970.

Hi Mex and welcome to the forum,

where abouts is/was the old coal house/yard please.

Is it shown on this section of map?

Linl to 1950's OS map #124

DaveH,

Mex

Hi Mex, welcome to the site.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the area you are interested in taken at the time of my other photos (mid 1970's)

SteveHB

The old coal house is Nr 297 Hollinsend Road. The building to the left is either a garage or building to cover a pit entrance. I'm interested in this site and what it used to look like around 1970.

As far as I know this area of Hollinsend Road currently has about 4 new houses on it which were built in the 1980's.

If I get the chance to go down there I will try to get some (modern) pictures for comparison.

DaveH

Thanks anyway. There are two bungalows on the site these were built in 1990.

I remember the coal merchant's yard on Hollinsend Road, which was replaced by the two bungalows, as Mex says. Racking my brain now to recall the name of the merchant. Unfortunatley I don't have any photos either - it never occured to me when I was young to photograph the everyday things :(

I remember the coal merchant's yard on Hollinsend Road, which was replaced by the two bungalows, as Mex says. Racking my brain now to recall the name of the merchant. Unfortunatley I don't have any photos either - it never occured to me when I was young to photograph the everyday things :(

Could try looking on Picture Sheffield to see if they have anything.

As far as I know this area of Hollinsend Road currently has about 4 new houses on it which were built in the 1980's.

If I get the chance to go down there I will try to get some (modern) pictures for comparison.

Photo taken from almost the same spot as my 1971 picture, but facing the opposite way towards the bottom of Gleadless common

Can't see much of the Hollinsend Road junction at this point, so here are some closer views

DaveH

Thanks anyway. There are two bungalows on the site these were built in 1990.

These are the 2 bungalows

On Hollinsend Road, actually just around the corner to the left from the bottom of Gleadless Common, and opposite this church

On the other corner is the New Inn

DaveH,

Mex

As it was this Gleadless Common picture which started all this off

How about one taken from the very bottom of the common looking straight up to compliment it

This is Ashleigh lower school in January 1973 on a cold, snowy day.

Ashleigh lower was, before it became comprehensive in 1969, Hurlfield Girls School on Hurlfield Road near the water works and Hag lane tanks.

The building was demolished in 1984 and replaced with a small private housing estate in 1988

Ex students of Ashleigh will know that as well as being the lower school for years 1-3 (or 7 - 9 as they are now) it was also the centre for the art department, it had the best hall of the 2 buildings witha proper stage and a depressed hall "dancefloor" and, worst of all, to get to the upper school (ironically at a lower level down the hill) you either had to walk across that muddy dirty field, or take a longer route on a footpath which went past a smelly old pigstye.

Ian,

Your previous post, #188 is just a quote of one of my earlier posts without any message from you.

Did you intend to add a message to this post, - which you can do by clicking EDIT rather than reply and typing it after the final

Or did you press enter in error, in which case the quote only post can be deleted.

Hi Dave,

With the help of my son maybe I can now reply. I passed the 13+ at Hartley Brook High School in July 1966 and was given the choice of CTS or what used to be Firth Park Grammer Although Firth Park was within walking distance I opted for the more modern CTS which entailed a 3/4 hour bus journey each way. I was at CTS from Sept 1966 to July 1970. Its a period of my life for which I have no photos so I have been trying to copy across your CTS pics, unfortunately with little success. Shame that the school has gone but It is good to see other people remembering the old place.

Does anyone else remember a break in when the safe was liberated fron Mrs Mason's office and dragged down the corridors to be cut open in the workshops?

Regards Ian.

Hi Dave,

With the help of my son maybe I can now reply. I passed the 13+ at Hartley Brook High School in July 1966 and was given the choice of CTS or what used to be Firth Park Grammer Although Firth Park was within walking distance I opted for the more modern CTS which entailed a 3/4 hour bus journey each way. I was at CTS from Sept 1966 to July 1970. Its a period of my life for which I have no photos so I have been trying to copy across your CTS pics, unfortunately with little success. Shame that the school has gone but It is good to see other people remembering the old place.

Does anyone else remember a break in when the safe was liberated fron Mrs Mason's office and dragged down the corridors to be cut open in the workshops?

Regards Ian.

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from some ex students of CTS / Ashleigh school (You must have been there when it went Comprehensive in 1969 and changed its name!)

I only went to Ashleigh for 6th form to do A levels between 1972 and 1974 so was there after you, although my old Junior School buddy Steven Crookes was there from 1967 to 1972.

Break in with the safe incident must have been before my time.

To copy my photos (or any others) to your computer all you need to do is -

Click on the thumbnail in the post to open the full size image

RIGHT CLICK on the opened full size image, this will open a menu from which you can select "Save Image As"

In the box which opens you can alter the image file name to something that you want to call it and select a location on your computer where you want to save the image (eg, Desktop, My Documents. My Pictures etc)

After doing this click OK and the image will be downloaded and saved to your computer.

Hope this helps,

DaveH

Gleadless in the Eighties coming to Channel 4 on the seventh of Sept!

http://www.channel4.com/explore/this-is-england-86/

Apparently they chose the Blackstock road area for the location because apart from a few satellite dishes, nothings really changed since the 80's!

If the council leave the estate alone for much longer, English Heritage will be wanting to manage it! he he

Guest wayneybabes

http://www.channel4....-is-england-86/

Apparently they chose the Blackstock road area for the location because apart from a few satellite dishes, nothings really changed since the 80's!

If the council leave the estate alone for much longer, English Heritage will be wanting to manage it! he he

not every part of it mate!!!!

they did some filming on the john o'gaunt shops and at the flats on ironside road (this is where they lost the parrot he he). I live just up the road from the flats and it is pretty decent up there. I used to live in those flats and it is hard to believe the difference from the bottom of the road where the flats are, to just up the road where we live!!!

agree that most parts need a facelift though!

http://www.channel4.com/explore/this-is-england-86/

Thanks for the broadcast information there Markbaby.

Looks like the Gleadless area is getting quite a good airing on television at present.

in fact, on the trailer, the flat to our right of shauns eyes is the one i used to live in!!!! number 254

The flat to the right of Shauns eyes....

The house next to the passage near the white house in City Road across Norfolk Field....

We could do a picture tour of Sheffield based on places where wayneybabes has lived lol

Guest wayneybabes

The flat to the right of Shauns eyes....

The house next to the passage near the white house in City Road across Norfolk Field....

We could do a picture tour of Sheffield based on places where wayneybabes has lived lol

good idea

though it may be hard to find the one down intake

you also forgot that picture of the charity football match on arbourthorne playing fields in which i pointed out my first house on arbourthorne road!!

good idea

though it may be hard to find the one down intake

you also forgot that picture of the charity football match on arbourthorne playing fields in which i pointed out my first house on arbourthorne road!!

OK, I forgot about the one on Arbourthorne Road.

Not so sure where your house at Intake was though :unsure:

Something to do with an open space/park/football field/bonfire site behind the "Noah's Ark" <_<

Guest wayneybabes

OK, I forgot about the one on Arbourthorne Road.

Not so sure where your house at Intake was though :unsure:

Something to do with an open space/park/football field/bonfire site behind the "Noah's Ark" <_<

Wadsworth Drive, just off Hollybank, behind the old sports club field