Gleadless - Photo Thread

DaveH

Is that a new French word you have learnt in Nimes?

summat ....either top of a mountain or means something lol

or should this be posted in Sheffield Dialect topic

summat ....either top of a mountain or means something lol

or should this be posted in Sheffield Dialect topic

I thought it meant "add it up" being a bit of a maths teacher with a local dialect.

Guest Pmiddle5

Enjoyed reading the information everyone has put together and the pictures are great! I lived on Ridgehill Avenue so it was a nice to live soime of the views and comments.

Enjoyed reading the information everyone has put together and the pictures are great! I lived on Ridgehill Avenue so it was a nice to live soime of the views and comments.

Hi Pmiddle5 and welcome to Sheffield History.

Thanks for your interest in this topic.

We were trying to recreate a version of the site gleadless.net which sadly is no longer in existance and to recover some of the material from it but it didn't quite work out like that.

However, as I had some old pictures of the area and plenty of historical information, stories and anecdotes it seems to have turned out not too bad.

Lived on Ridgehill Avenue hey, - have you seen this other topic on Hollinsend Park I have been running which is a little more nearer "home"

Hollinsend Park

When did you live there then?

Just trying to work out if you went to Central Technical / Ashleigh / Myrtle Springs / Springs Academy or if you went to Hurlfield or even opted in to some other local school like City School.

As you can guess from the current thread I went to Ashleigh for 6th form and have tried to include a section on it.

Here is that picture as a then & now.

Due to the demolition of the school I was stood on top of and the building of new private properties the Now picture taken in January 2009 had to be taken from Gleadless Road, just near where the school entrance is in the Then shot that the students are walking up from. this gives a much lower, closer viewpoint of what is in the background and those trees don't half get in the way, if I had taken this one in June to match the Then shot seasonally the trees would probably mask the entire view.

Notice that those 3 towers have now become only 2.

Tried again,

This seems to be the best match I can now get to the original viewpoint

Tried again,

This seems to be the best match I can now get to the original viewpoint

Foreground is wrong, but a better then and now match on the Herdings estate

Between the shops, the missing demolished tower and the park is the old Herdings farm house which dates back centuries. In recent times the building has been home to the local youth club. Sadly a recent fire has now almost destroyed this historic building and it is boarded up awaiting its fate. Also sadly. I never took a picture of it in 1971 when it was still in good condition. This building has been the subject of one of mt mystery locations in the "only the gateposts are left" thread as the original gateposts to the entrance are still there.

Repairs on the old Herdings farmhouse are comming along well. It now has a brand new roof.

Continuing the tour we are now at the Herdings shops at the top of the hill.

This row of shops comprises, nearest the camera on the right is an S&E Co-op. Then there is Hughes News, a newsagents / tobacconists / sweet shop and then 3 other shops which were, in an order I can't remember, a greengrocers / florists, a butchers and a ladies hairdressers. I may be a bit wrong on this as I often confuse these shops with a similar but longer row at Gleadless Townend on Gleadless Road.

Beyond the last shop the footpath continues to the Raeburn tower blocks and behind those maisonettes on the lefy is the old youth club.

Just posted these more recent pictures of the S&E Co-Op in the new Co-Op thread

Further to this, aand in light of what I said in the previous quoted post, can we sort out the other shops in this block

The S&E was divided into a supermarket and a butchers, but what of these other shops?

Closest to the S&E was Hughes News, or was it Hibberts, the newsagents / tobacconists / sweet shop. I may be confusing these two as one was at Gleadless Townend.

But what of the other shops?

I can still remember that there was a greengrocers / florists, a butchers and a ladies hairdressers.

But is that the right number of shops?

If so, what order were they in.

The photo above only shows the shops as they are today and that is not how I remember them, - there was definately not a computer shop!!!

The Gleadless Scouts Hut

I think it is the 230th Scout troup but mike142sl will know.

My son was a member of the Beavers and Cubs before giving it up as it clashed with his clarinet and saxophone sessions.

Now I don't know what Boy Scouts do these days but that blue car in the picture pulled up as I took the shot and 3 rather attractive young women got out of it and weny into the scout hut. ;-)

It is now getting very difficult to tell where the old Central Technical / Ashleigh Upper School actually stood.

The bend in the road where there was once a bit of a set back lay by perhaps indicates that these new houses on Gleadless Road are in the same position as that very long school lawn.

New streets with new names, New houses still for sale where exactly would this have been on the school site?

Greenacres is roughly where the old, dilapidated house was that was at one time used as a sixth form common room.

Even from the school field to the rear of the building it is still difficult to get your bearings as to where exactly we are.

This house is built on the site of the pig sty which was just off the footpath (still there but now much improved, - doesn't get muddy in wet weather) between the upper and lower school buildings.

I don't think I would like to live there, I can still remember the smell.

Probably should be in the pubs and WMC thread these two.

Heeley and Sheffield house

and on the opposite side of the road from it, the Carlton WMC

Guest wayneybabes

Minox quality picture of Ashleigh upper school taken from Gleadless Road. Photo from 1984

It was from the third floor of this building, somewhere in the middle (Doctor Richardson's chemistry lab) that the photo in the quoted post was taken from.

I worked at this school between 1996 and 98. We were situated in the old 'tuck shop' behind the caretakers house (later became the sixth form room). At that time, the main building in your picture was suffering from 'concrete cancer' so the signs where already there that it was doomed.

Does anyone remember the caretaker, Ken Osborne?. Sadly he passed away in September 97 or 98 due to a heart attack. Ken was a lovely bloke, who will never be forgotten by the staff who worked under him.

Guest wayneybabes

It is now getting very difficult to tell where the old Central Technical / Ashleigh Upper School actually stood.

The bend in the road where there was once a bit of a set back lay by perhaps indicates that these new houses on Gleadless Road are in the same position as that very long school lawn.

New streets with new names, New houses still for sale where exactly would this have been on the school site?

Greenacres is roughly where the old, dilapidated house was that was at one time used as a sixth form common room.

Even from the school field to the rear of the building it is still difficult to get your bearings as to where exactly we are.

Dave,

Suzy lived in these houses a few years ago, im sure she will be interested in this thread

Guest wayneybabes

Just posted these more recent pictures of the S&E Co-Op in the new Co-Op thread

Further to this, aand in light of what I said in the previous quoted post, can we sort out the other shops in this block

The S&E was divided into a supermarket and a butchers, but what of these other shops?

Closest to the S&E was Hughes News, or was it Hibberts, the newsagents / tobacconists / sweet shop. I may be confusing these two as one was at Gleadless Townend.

But what of the other shops?

I can still remember that there was a greengrocers / florists, a butchers and a ladies hairdressers.

But is that the right number of shops?

If so, what order were they in.

The photo above only shows the shops as they are today and that is not how I remember them, - there was definately not a computer shop!!!

I was in the hairdressers (last on left) on saturday!!. next to that is mick and jennys. dont think the paper shop is there anymore??? then the black building at the end is now a boxing club

I worked at this school between 1996 and 98. We were situated in the old 'tuck shop' behind the caretakers house (later became the sixth form room). At that time, the main building in your picture was suffering from 'concrete cancer' so the signs where already there that it was doomed.

Does anyone remember the caretaker, Ken Osborne?. Sadly he passed away in September 97 or 98 due to a heart attack. Ken was a lovely bloke, who will never be forgotten by the staff who worked under him.

Hey wayneybabes, I went to Norfolk and then to Ashleigh for 6th form while you went to Norfolk and then worked at Ashleigh

Sounds like we are following each other around <_<

Dave,

Suzy lived in these houses a few years ago, im sure she will be interested in this thread

Nice houses, almost brand new, - must have cost her a bob or two.

I'm sure she will find these posts in good time but while you have been away a bit she wants me to buy the Elm Tree boozer at a knock down price of £150,000 and has suggested that I should pretend to be a potential buyer so that I can gain access to the old pub for a viewing just to take a few photos of the inside and perhaps make a short film lol

Honestly though, now these houses are built I can no longer accurately place the old school :o

I was in the hairdressers (last on left) on saturday!!. next to that is mick and jennys. dont think the paper shop is there anymore??? then the black building at the end is now a boxing club

So how many shops are there in the row? just 2? or 3 or 4?

What do Mick & Jenny sell?

To be honest it is years since I went up there to do any shopping so I haven't a clue what the shops are now.

Last time I went up there shopping my grandad, who lived on the Herdings, was still alive and that would have been 1982 or before, - a long time for the shops to change in.

In the 60's when I was a kid we went to my grandparents every Saturday afternoon, watched a bit of World of Sport / Grandstand, watched the wrestling (mentioned that somewhere before) watched the news and watched grandad fill in the classified results and check his Pools coupon then have tea while watching the Telegoons or Dr Who or something and after tea when Dixon of Dock Green came on he would send me up the road to these shops to the newsagents to get the Green 'Un.

Happy days!

Guest wayneybabes

So how many shops are there in the row? just 2? or 3 or 4?

What do Mick & Jenny sell?

To be honest it is years since I went up there to do any shopping so I haven't a clue what the shops are now.

Last time I went up there shopping my grandad, who lived on the Herdings, was still alive and that would have been 1982 or before, - a long time for the shops to change in.

In the 60's when I was a kid we went to my grandparents every Saturday afternoon, watched a bit of World of Sport / Grandstand, watched the wrestling (mentioned that somewhere before) watched the news and watched grandad fill in the classified results and check his Pools coupon then have tea while watching the Telegoons or Dr Who or something and after tea when Dixon of Dock Green came on he would send me up the road to these shops to the newsagents to get the Green 'Un.

Happy days!

The shops are L/R.....hairdressers, Mick and jennys convenience store, photo shop, computer shop then a boxing centre.

The mens hairdressers is downstairs under the ladies with the entrance behind the shops in the car park

Guest wayneybabes

Nice houses, almost brand new, - must have cost her a bob or two.

I'm sure she will find these posts in good time but while you have been away a bit she wants me to buy the Elm Tree boozer at a knock down price of £150,000 and has suggested that I should pretend to be a potential buyer so that I can gain access to the old pub for a viewing just to take a few photos of the inside and perhaps make a short film lol

Honestly though, now these houses are built I can no longer accurately place the old school :o

You should see the house she's living in now!!

...and yes, that is a good idea about the pub, don't know why I didn't think of that <_<

Guest wayneybabes

Hey wayneybabes, I went to Norfolk and then to Ashleigh for 6th form while you went to Norfolk and then worked at Ashleigh

Sounds like we are following each other around <_<

yep, seems like that as between 1985 and 1999 i lived around Intake as well!

You should see the house she's living in now!!

...and yes, that is a good idea about the pub, don't know why I didn't think of that <_<

Nice houses yes, - but a fair old treck to go and get your Beckets fish & chips from Manor Top lol

OK wayneybabes, you pretend to be a buyer for The Elm Tree and get in there with your camera, - suzy managed to get you to go into Norfolk School ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

Nice houses yes, - but a fair old treck to go and get your Beckets fish & chips from Manor Top lol

OK wayneybabes, you pretend to be a buyer for The Elm Tree and get in there with your camera, - suzy managed to get you to go into Norfolk School ;-)

yes but i didnt need any persuading for that one. maybe if she hadnt wanted the photos of the quadrangle i may not have been so easily swayed lol

Guest wayneybabes

not a great shot (taken on my mobile), a bit blurred but this was taken this morning on my way to work

definately taking shape. just hope it stays that way when finished

Guest wayneybabes

the top picture, where the old house is. see the gap between the privet leading to the house?

thats where i first met my wife lol