'Lost' Roll's of Honour

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

I know this is probably in the wrong place but i thought it might get a bit more 'exposure' here, please move if need be.

Would love to find these, i cant believe when these church's were pulled down they 'binned' the memorials, they must have gone somewhere.

St Michaels and All Angels.

'The War Memorial in the Lady Chapel consists of a large brass containing 162 names, with the inscription: "This tablet is erected in grateful memory of the men of this parish and congregation of St. Michael's , Neepsend, who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914-1918. May they rest in peace."

The cost was £170.00.

Demolished in 1955.

St Simons, Eyre Street.

'The War Memorial, in the south aisle, a neat oak tablet bearing the names of ninety-six men who fell in the Great War, was erected at a cost of £30.00'.

Suffered bomb damage and was demolished in the 40's, it was then united with St Marys, Bramall Lane, i'm wondering if the St Simon's one was binned and they 'merged' their Rolls into the large one now at St Marys?

St Bartholomews, Carbrook.

The War Memorial includes an oak tablet bearing the names of sixty-three parishioners who fell in the Great War, and an oak credence table, the total cost of which was £80.00'.

Closed in 1967.

St Mathias Church, Summerfield Street.

The War Memorial consists of a carved communion table and reredos, with lofty oak panelling on each side, erected at a cost of £520.00; the sum for the communion table was contributed and collected by the scholars and teachers of the Sunday School. A brass plate in the baptistry bears the names of seventy-nine men who fell in the Great War'.

Demolished 1950's.

The Congregational Church, Springvale road.

Now Byron Bond Architects, this was 'nicked' in 1991.

Brunswick Wesleyan Sunday Schools.

Among other things - "A Marble Tablet containing the names of those who lost their lives through the War, to be placed in the porch in front of the Chapel".

I have details of about another half dozen Rolls, but I have details as to where they 'should' be!

Any help at all much appreciated,

Dean.

I know this is probably in the wrong place but i thought it might get a bit more 'exposure' here, please move if need be.

Would love to find these, i cant believe when these church's were pulled down they 'binned' the memorials, they must have gone somewhere.

St Michaels and All Angels.

'The War Memorial in the Lady Chapel consists of a large brass containing 162 names, with the inscription: "This tablet is erected in grateful memory of the men of this parish and congregation of St. Michael's , Neepsend, who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914-1918. May they rest in peace."

The cost was £170.00.

Demolished in 1955.

St Simons, Eyre Street.

'The War Memorial, in the south aisle, a neat oak tablet bearing the names of ninety-six men who fell in the Great War, was erected at a cost of £30.00'.

Suffered bomb damage and was demolished in the 40's, it was then united with St Marys, Bramall Lane, i'm wondering if the St Simon's one was binned and they 'merged' their Rolls into the large one now at St Marys?

St Bartholomews, Carbrook.

The War Memorial includes an oak tablet bearing the names of sixty-three parishioners who fell in the Great War, and an oak credence table, the total cost of which was £80.00'.

Closed in 1967.

St Mathias Church, Summerfield Street.

The War Memorial consists of a carved communion table and reredos, with lofty oak panelling on each side, erected at a cost of £520.00; the sum for the communion table was contributed and collected by the scholars and teachers of the Sunday School. A brass plate in the baptistry bears the names of seventy-nine men who fell in the Great War'.

Demolished 1950's.

The Congregational Church, Springvale road.

Now Byron Bond Architects, this was 'nicked' in 1991.

Brunswick Wesleyan Sunday Schools.

Among other things - "A Marble Tablet containing the names of those who lost their lives through the War, to be placed in the porch in front of the Chapel".

I have details of about another half dozen Rolls, but I have details as to where they 'should' be!

Any help at all much appreciated,

Dean.

This is unbelievable - thank goodness for your efforts.

Dean I imagine you have contacted the Anglican diocese - do they keep records ? Don't they have to issue something called a "faculty" when any material change is made to a church premises. Here's another 2 or 3 disappearing if not already gone!

http://www.sheffield.anglican.org/Property...antChurches.htm

Good luck

Hi Dean

Just a thought but you've probably already been there - St Silas at Broomhall is standing empty and unused. Any memorials there that should be saved?

Peter

Guest Trefcon

Dunsby, thanks for that link, i'll contact them.

Peter, although i have added the names from the memorial to the A-Z, i dont a have photo or know if its still in situ, another one to follow up.

Dean.

Dunsby, thanks for that link, i'll contact them.

Peter, although i have added the names from the memorial to the A-Z, i dont a have photo or know if its still in situ, another one to follow up.

Dean.

get your skates on - on that link I posted it says that St Silas has been sold :o