Walker and Hall

dunsbyowl1867

I thought it best to add to this post rather than start a new one.
Walker and Hall were such a major part of Sheffield industry when I was young, their building being a Sheffield landmark.
I came across this Walker and Hall advertisement on a search. I found a couple of things on it interesting to me at any rate. It appears to  have been a bill head :
1. Interest chargeable on accounts not paid.
2. Empty boxes not allowed for unless advised or actually received.
3. Customers should make application to carriers for any claim for damage to goods substained in transit.
4 Something like 1/2 only allowed for empties when returned. (someone with better eyes may correct the fraction)

w_and_h_add.jpg

10 hours ago, boginspro said:

I thought it best to add to this post rather than start a new one.
Walker and Hall were such a major part of Sheffield industry when I was young, their building being a Sheffield landmark.
I came across this Walker and Hall advertisement on a search. I found a couple of things on it interesting to me at any rate:
1. Interest chargeable on accounts not paid.
2. Empty boxes not allowed for unless advised or actually received.
3. Customers should make application to carriers for any claim for damage to goods substained in transit.
4 Something like 1/2 only allowed for empties when returned. (someone with better eyes may correct the fraction)

I think I am probably being a bit thick here but can't work out what "Dr To"  means in front of Walker and Hall.

w_and_h_add.jpg

Nice reminder of business practice  a long time ago and a crafty double use of a printers block. Looking carefully it is enclosed with filigree in the corners so as presented by boginspro it conveniently makes a nice advert for the firm detailing all they do.   Interesting to see that they did subcontract electroplating.

The primary purpose was as a billhead. At the top left is a row of dots and a similar one on the right has the date 18. In use the customers name in neat copperplate would be on the top left line and the date sometime in the 1800s filled in on the right. The heading  "Dr" is short for "Debtor to W. & H."  Since the bottom part would detail out what had been supplied the purpose was fairly obvious. We are  not so precise as to need telling that we owe money. From a very long memory this style had largely gone out of use by WW2 though I have met it at odd times from older companies. The other form "In account with....."  likewise drifted out out of use

On the subject of W. & H. being a landmark, at a very young age pre WW2  l began to look out for their flag on the roof. For years it was always there with the initials clearly visible. Many years later  it dawned that it was always there and straight out 24:7 no matter what the time or weather. .ln l950 l went round on a formal visit. Being strictly practical industrial engineers it was an eye opener, particularly seeing the artistic design team at work on the top floor. Noting the unusual flag absence l enquired about it, to be told it was on the roof being repaired, would we like to see it? Shock, not what we expected. The familiar shape, black thin sheet steel with the letters cut out so you actually saw the sky through them from ground level. So we found out why it was always flying never hanging. 

Obvious now but we were not so curious about things like that then.

Walker & Hall, electro platers & gilders, Electro Works, Howard Street. 

Advertisement from Illustrated Guide to Sheffield, Pawson and Brailsford 1862.

IMG_20221231_143733.thumb.jpg.aa97a033a6277abaa0f129c30b412705.jpg