Remember when we had snow?

Markbaby

I was born & bred in Herdings, on top of one of the highest hills around Sheffield, and we used to have snow that:

Made it hard to get to work or school in a morning:

Meant You had to dig a path for the cat:

Or could just have fun:

Flippin' Global Warmin'

I was born & bred in Herdings, on top of one of the highest hills around Sheffield, and we used to have snow that:

Made it hard to get to work or school in a morning:

Some great pictures here Markbaby of what appears to be the Morland Road area, where the terraced houses run perpendicular to the road instead of parallel to it, leaving you with little space to park a car.

My grandad lived in this area 1959 - 1982 so I know it well. I have some pictures of it, without the snow, from about 1971 which I keep promising to post so watch this space. ( They are part of the set of photos that gleadless.net did not seem interested in)

A friend once told me that we get a really severe winter on average every 16 years and he quoted the classic dates

1947, 1963, 1979.

The winter of 1995 was actually quite mild and 2011, if it follows the pattern of recent winters is also likely to be mild, - now that is global warming!!

I assume from your pictures that this is the winter of 1978 - 79. Is this correct?

I think your right about the year there Dave, but Morland Close not road lol

Is that the one that runs off Morland Road, a cul-de-sac which ends just behind the old folks home where the bus stop is?

Is that the one that runs off Morland Road, a cul-de-sac which ends just behind the old folks home where the bus stop is?

Spot on, I lived there from 1959 to 1993, and my Mum still lives there!

My Mum & Dad got a house there in the Winter of 1958 because they were in slum clearance from Woodside Lane. When my mother took my Grandma up there on the 101 bus to look at the new house before they moved in, my Gran asked my mother "what do you want to live out in the wilds for?"

This is my father-in-law and friends digging out at the side of Dam Flask in 1940/1.

As you can see the drfts are almost shoulder height.

Spot on, I lived there from 1959 to 1993, and my Mum still lives there!

My Mum & Dad got a house there in the Winter of 1958 because they were in slum clearance from Woodside Lane. When my mother took my Grandma up there on the 101 bus to look at the new house before they moved in, my Gran asked my mother "what do you want to live out in the wilds for?"

My grandad lived on Morland Road on the low numbers in the rows immediately below Morland Close, just above Raeburn Road and running between Leighton Road and Morland Road itself.

In the late sixties I probably knew a few people off the close when I spent a lot of time at my grandparents, can't remember any names though.

My grandparents had a similar experience to yours, under slum clearance they came out of a two up two down back court to the Herdings in 1958 / 9. Although the houses were effectively terraces they were far superioir, 3 bedrooms, a proper inside bathroom and toilet and a proper kitchen.

However, the thing that really sold the area to my grandad, like his father before him a keen gardener, was that he had a proper decent sized garden of his own and not just a communal flagstoned yard. In the early 60's he even got planning permission from the council to put up his own greenhouse in the garden!

We lived up at Greenhill in 1978 and I remember my husband walking to work in Tapton as buses couldn't get up Abbey Lane and we couldn't get the car out of the garage because of the snow. The kids thought it was great as I used to take them to school on a sledge, at that time schools didn't close because of the snow :rolleyes:

Love the photos

Guest transit

Found these photo's, not sure of the year, but from the cars I would estimate 94/95 winter

....if it helps , the G reg car would have been new in 1990 ;-)

....if it helps , the G reg car would have been new in 1990 ;-)

The red car on the road was a Citroen AX L Reg we bought new Feb 94 which makes me think it was early 95.

Just thought a bit of a mystery location/object

Where is the location, very hard, a bit easier what type of car is it (Photo 3) :)

Found these photo's, not sure of the year, but from the cars I would estimate 94/95 winter

Hope you didn't keep the snow-shovel in the shed he he

is tht 1st pic a vauxhall chevette ?

if so wot a great looking car , i thought they looked like a smaller version of the mk1 vauxhall cavalier.

anyone else agree ?

Guest transit

is tht 1st pic a vauxhall chevette ?

if so wot a great looking car , i thought they looked like a smaller version of the mk1 vauxhall cavalier.

anyone else agree ?

....it is actually a mk1 Cavalier , although the Chevette was very similar ,just slightly smaller. Cavalier here .......

....it is actually a mk1 Cavalier , although the Chevette was very similar ,just slightly smaller. Cavalier here .......

I used to have one of those, lovely car. [but not in snow]

The red car on the road was a Citroen AX L Reg we bought new Feb 94 which makes me think it was early 95.

Just thought a bit of a mystery location/object

Where is the location, very hard, a bit easier what type of car is it (Photo 3) :)

Mystery location

The first 2 appear to be your own back garden and shed

The third one appears to be your front drive

(I have not given the EXACT address of your house for security reasons, - but I was there last wednesday! I can send you a PM if there's a prize for the answer.)

If so that means the G reg. car must have been one of your cars

Everyone seems to think its a Vauxhall, so my guess, - didn't you used to have a Vauxhall Carlton around that time?

As for the date, we did have snow in a couple of winters in the mid 90's, I think the heaviest was in 95 to 96.

Love this picture, The smile on the car's face (despite the snow) makes it look like an extra from Pixar's "Cars"! he he

Guest transit

Mystery location

The first 2 appear to be your own back garden and shed

The third one appears to be your front drive

(I have not given the EXACT address of your house for security reasons, - but I was there last wednesday! I can send you a PM if there's a prize for the answer.)

If so that means the G reg. car must have been one of your cars

Everyone seems to think its a Vauxhall, so my guess, - didn't you used to have a Vauxhall Carlton around that time?

As for the date, we did have snow in a couple of winters in the mid 90's, I think the heaviest was in 95 to 96.

....Ford Granada mk2 ??????? ;-)

Guest transit

....just realised ,it could have been renamed the "Ford Granada Scorpio" by then !!!!!!!! (if it had a boot , instead of hatchback !) :rolleyes:

Spot on Transit, Correct it was a Granada.It was a great car 2.4 Ghia

DaveH has been disqualified for insider information :)

Spot on Transit, Granada it was great car 2.4 Ghia

Sunday - having just driven back to Lincolnshire from Sheffield I think there is some PROPER snow on its way ;-)

Spot on Transit, Correct it was a Granada.It was a great car 2.4 Ghia

DISQUALIFIED!!!

Don't remember you having a Ford Granada

Anyway what's happened to your avitar? That nice little Swiss railway engine seems to have been replaced with an alsatian threatening to bite someone on the other side of a gate.