Godfrey Maps of Sheffield 1901 - 1905

Guest Trefcon

Thats all mine done, including the two 'unclaimed' ones.

Gramps, i've been back and added the 'rows' 'terraces' etc.

High Green 282.15

Lodge - Opposite Lane End Farm.

Loxley 294.02

Olive Terrace - Black Lane.

Shooters Grove - Off Wood Lane.

Poor Row - Off Dykes Lane.

Almshouses - Ivy Road.

Ellenbro - Dykes Lane.

Rivelin 294.06

Albion Row - Next to Rivelin Hotel.

Middleton Buildings - At Stephen Hill.

Oak Park - Tapton Cresent Road.

Cocked Hat Place - Bole Hill Lane.

Sheffield West 294.07

Cobden Terrace - New Lane.

Hands Row - Hands Lane.

Nether Edge 294.15

Grange Bank - No named road near it.

Sheffield North 294.04

Osgathorpe Cottage Lodge - Osgathorpe Road.

Passhouses - Pass Houses Lane.

Ecclesfield 288.08

Oliver Wheel - Off Green Lane.

Providence Terrace - Sheffield Lane.

Hartley Brook - Green Lane/Brook Lane.

Ecclesall Village 294.14

Forge Houses - Brookhouse Hill.

Snaithfield - Millhouses Lane.

Sheffield Heeley 294.16

Lees Hall - South of Lees Hall Wood.

Myrtle Spring - Off Hurlfield Hill.

Dean.

Dean/Gramps

Is any of the Tinsley/Templborough sheet in Sheffield, my copy is at home, so can't check at the moment.

OK - here are interim examples of the listing - one a text file the other hopefully in Excel format. I say hopefully because I use Lotus 123 and M$oft and IBM aren't the best of friends :) Would someone please check the .xls file can be opened in the current version of MS Excel

Godfrey_Places.txt

Can't upload the xls file - it won't let me :angry: Can somebody parse the text file into Excel and upload it - it's tab delimited.

Thats all mine done, including the two 'unclaimed' ones.

Gramps, i've been back and added the 'rows' 'terraces' etc.

Dean.

OK - I'll add them in when I've had mi snap and done mi chores :)

Try changing the extension from .xls, to .txt or .rtf post that, then rename the extension to .xls (been here with the Pubs ...)

Godfrey_Places_excel.txt

Save to your PC, then rename to .xls rather than .txt should then open in Excel

Thank you - it's not a problem for me, I already have it in a spreadsheet. :) I thought other users might like it in that format too.

Anyway next time I upload it, after all the additions, I'll name it as you suggest.

Thank you - it's not a problem for me, I already have it in a spreadsheet. :) I thought other users might like it in that format too.

Anyway next time I upload it, after all the additions, I'll name it as you suggest.

To confirm save as Excel

Rename to .txt

upload

---------------------

then Download

and rename back to .xls

To confirm save as Excel

Rename to .txt

upload

---------------------

then Download

and rename back to .xls

Templeborough & Tinsley 1921 289.14

Part in Sheffield Part in Rotherham

The Firs - Bawtry Rd

Tinsley Hall - Bawtry Rd

Bank House - Bawtry Rd

The Lodge - Bawtry Rd

Old Manor House - Bawtry Rd

Yew Tree Farm - Bawtry Rd

To confirm save as Excel

Rename to .txt

upload

---------------------

then Download

and rename back to .xls

OK - here is the current revision

Godfrey_Places2.txt - change extension to .xls.

Yayy ! Success. Thanks Stuart. This version incorporates the additions posted by Dean this morning - thanks Dean. I'm also putting a date in the file against each entry, just to help me keep track of additions.

Who's got the job of posting individual entries ? :unsure: I have enough on my plate going through many of the maps again...which I don't mind doing of course.

And I think we should remember this was Dean's idea, even though I seem to have picked it up and run with it. Dean did most of the leg-work with the listings. Hope I haven't put anyone's nose out :huh:

Guest Trefcon

Nice one Gramps, excellent.

Now what to do with it?

My thinking behind the original idea was to just record the names and have it as a resource that we could dip into as and when we chose if we were scrathcing our heads for a new topic to discuss/research. Also it would i'm sure help people when they use the search option. So, is that job done for now or do we add more?

Dean.

Nice one Gramps, excellent.

Now what to do with it?

My thinking behind the original idea was to just record the names and have it as a resource that we could dip into as and when we chose if we were scrathcing our heads for a new topic to discuss/research. Also it would i'm sure help people when they use the search option. So, is that job done for now or do we add more?

Dean.

It wasn't a difficult job using PFE - if you do a lot of text processing it has a great macro facility.

I like this idea, but it would need an Admin member to set up a pinned topic and to add/create posts in the pinned area. However there are likely to be in excess of 600 entires in the final listing just for the Godfrey series of maps and I would also like to do a similar listing for the 1850s maps.

I can't seem to find the listings for Sheet 294.10 Fulwood and Sheet 294.11 Ecclesall and Sharrow. Did someone say they were going to submit these ? If not I'll do them - just don't want to duplicate the effort.

Gramps, i think Bayleaf claimed those?

Dean.

That's right, the Fulwood/Ranmoor is finished, the other's about 2/3 done,should be able to finish it on Thursday.. I was hanging on to send a merged file, but I can send the fulwood one on its own if you prefer?

Bayleaf

That's right, the Fulwood/Ranmoor is finished, the other's about 2/3 done,should be able to finish it on Thursday.. I was hanging on to send a merged file, but I can send the fulwood one on its own if you prefer?

Bayleaf

No hurry from me - I've plenty to be getting on with :)

I'm afraid it doesn't. My 123 can open xls files up to Office 97 but not later.

If you copy the text from the worksheet into notepad and save as plain text file I can easily process that.

The (current) final list for the named dwelling places in local Godfrey maps.

Godfrey_Places3a.txt

Save the file to disk then change the extension to .xls to view it in your spreadsheet. There are now two sheets, A - an A-Z listing of all the places found, and B an A-Z listing within each map area.

The 'D' in column B signifies 'Dwelling'. I'm thinking of adding churches to the list as so many of them have now been demolished and it would be a significant help to family historians to be able to locate a church that has long disappeared.

Below is a key to the maps covered and their relationship to each other.

Godfrey_Places3.txt

Hi Gramps

Here are a few off

Templeborough & Tinsley 1921 289.14

Part in Sheffield Part in Rotherham

The Firs - Bawtry Rd

Tinsley Hall - Bawtry Rd

Bank House - Bawtry Rd

The Lodge - Bawtry Rd

Old Manor House - Bawtry Rd

Yew Tree Farm - Bawtry Rd

These all come under Sheffield, or they did then

Sorry Stuart, I did get those from your earlier post but they seem to have slipped through the net.

I've amended the 'final' list to include them and uploaded a new version in my post above.