DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

(taken from sheffield forum)

LIST OF TEACHERS I REMEMBER FROM NORFOLK

infants school:

mrs smith (headteacher)

mrs gill (f4 teacher)

mrs murphy

cant remember any more it is a long time ago!!

middle school:

miss mcGloin

mrs richmond

mr anwyl

mr jenkins (headteacher)

miss whiteley

mrs booth

mr roberts

senior school:

mrs moore (deputy headteacher)

man pack (pe teacher who i still see time to time)

mrs gough (cookery)

man wall (history)

man smith (woodwork)

man cooke (woodwork)

man carter (science)

miss halsall (science)

miss whitehouse (languages)

man jackson (english)

man dimelow (science)

man beaumont (maths)

man crozier (maths)

miss everett (usually a stand in teacher but she took me more for languages)

miss clarke (art/textiles)

miss paige (art/textiles)

miss stanley (girls p.e.)

man gillott (woodwork?)

miss ross (drama)

miss bagnall (cookery)

man pyle (english)

miss moorhouse (english)

Guest SheffBlade

Welcome to the team of old Norfolk students (or pupils as Stuart0742 calls them).

By my reconning there are now 7 ex-Norfolk members of sheffieldhistory, - more than any other school so far!

As you were there for the last 2 years of the schools existance I would be interested to know what it was like at that time and where you were moved to when it was closed.

I hope in this thread to build up a complete history of the school 1936 - 1992 and although at present most of the contributions have been from me and cover my time at Norfolk 1967 - 1972 I am really hoping to get contributions from other students to cover other periods of the schools history. So far Wayneybabes has been excellent at providing additional information in this respect but we are always on the look out for more.

I went to Norfolk straight from Bluestone and when the school closed down most went to Myrtle but I went on with a handful of others to City. You did have a choice but automatically most were transferred to Myrtle for the final two years

It was very quiet in it's final days. A lot of supply teachers were brought in but many of the 'originals' remained. Mr Cook was still there, Mr Gillott, Miss Bagnall, Miss Paige (Art), Mrs Stanley (she moved to City to teach special needs), Mr Hancock (ended up 'seeing' Mrs Stanley I believe!), Mr Pack (Now works for his beloved Sheffield United), Mr Beaumont, Mr Dimelow (best science teacher ever!), Miss Whitehouse, Miss Ross (didn't like her), Mr Pile, Mr Sadler are ones I can rememebr though I'm sure there are more

My form teachers were both supply teachers. Mr Wroe for Y9 and a Greek man called Mr Soto for Y8 who was mad as a box of frogs. Most teachers had left by Y9 for new jobs. Was a horrible year and like a ghost town

There was a fire too. Arson. Mr Cooks workroom. Not during school hours though

there is a thread on sheffield forum

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...ol+cradock+road

(BTW i am trophyman on there)

p.s: Dave, your pictures get a mention in post #4 lol

p.p.s: sheffblade, are you kblade on sheff forum?

Yes your right wayneybabes, the someone in "someone has posted pictures of all the old teachers on Friends Reunited" in post 4 is in fact me!

As far as I know I have not come across a link on Sheffield History to Sheffield Forum before, - this may be a first. I know there is a lot ofrivaly and reference to "that other place" or "the other site" around here but at times the 2 sites can complement each other really well. Perhaps some of their members would also like to join us to read or post in this Norfolk School thread.

Having said that, the 2 sites do have quite different agendas. Sheffield forum seems to be a lot of "I remember you" and"do you remember when" or "Do I know you" sort of stuff, very much a Friends Reunited / old school pals type of approach, but here on Sheffield History as I have said previously I am trying to build up a full history of the school with the more factual who / what / where / when factual approach (major events, teachers lists, dates, pictures, building details etc) as you would expect on a history site. So there is room for both of us to work side by side without treading on each others toes and getting in each others way.

So what a useful link for us to have here to its Sheffield Forum equivalent thread. I suppose they could have a link to us, although they would have to be members to see the pictures.

I also encourage other members of our site to set up similar threads for their old schools which detail the schools history like we are trying to do for Norfolk.

I am kblade on there yes but I rarely post on there now

OK, Sheffblade here or Kblade there makes no difference, you obviously have a lot to offer about Norfolk school which is of interest to ex students on both sites, - please keep posting any interesting bits you have about the school.

I went to Norfolk straight from Bluestone and when the school closed down most went to Myrtle but I went on with a handful of others to City. You did have a choice but automatically most were transferred to Myrtle for the final two years

It was very quiet in it's final days. A lot of supply teachers were brought in but many of the 'originals' remained. Mr Cook was still there, Mr Gillott, Miss Bagnall, Miss Paige (Art), Mrs Stanley (she moved to City to teach special needs), Mr Hancock (ended up 'seeing' Mrs Stanley I believe!), Mr Pack (Now works for his beloved Sheffield United), Mr Beaumont, Mr Dimelow (best science teacher ever!), Miss Whitehouse, Miss Ross (didn't like her), Mr Pile, Mr Sadler are ones I can rememebr though I'm sure there are more

My form teachers were both supply teachers. Mr Wroe for Y9 and a Greek man called Mr Soto for Y8 who was mad as a box of frogs. Most teachers had left by Y9 for new jobs. Was a horrible year and like a ghost town

There was a fire too. Arson. Mr Cooks workroom. Not during school hours though

Many thanks to both wayneybabes and SheffBlade for providing the lists of teachers in the last 10 years of the schools existance and memories of what it was like to be educated in a "dying" school which was being run down and destined for closure.

There has always been rivalry between Myrtle Springs (Hurlfield) and Norfolk, often violent rivalry resulting in a punch up in Northern Avenue shopping centre, so for our last remaining students to be sent there is almost a final defeat. Sadly, since that time the old myrtle has suffered a similar fate, - although now reborn as Springs Academy.

City school was the school my son went to 2000 - 2005. We chose and applied for this as his catchment area school would have been Myrtle Springs.

Guest SheffBlade

Only too happy to add info

I think the final year was the worst as everyone was defeated. We went on 'marches' around the Peace Gardens to 'save our school' and did a big chain hand in hand around the playing field aswell. Sadly to no avail.

What I often wonder if how long the closure was threatened as many many things were cancelled for yeargroups as I went up into the seniors. For instance they used to have swimming lessons I believe? Those stopped. As did things like cross country runs and many many sports and outings. Trips also (Thornbridge/France) were all a thing of the past seemingly the year we went up!

Mr Shackleton - Theres another name. Headteacher. I think he went though and the deputy stood in. Mr Moore? The name escapes me I'm afraid but I think it's possibly that. Angry man he was!!!! Just like Mr Cooke. Not one to cross! :blink:

I remember the school discos. There was always the threat of "Mental Springheads" as we called them he he coming down for a fight. They never turned up. It was just the thrill of wondering if they would lol

Guest wayneybabes

i dont go on sheffield forum much nowadays. there was always someone wanting to start an argument on the most innocent of threads and you always had to be 'politically correct' otherwise you got slated!. the football threads started getting childish as well.

Man Shackleton was quite scary, luckily i didnt get to see his office much. Man Pack came with a United player to open our shop the other year. Man Pyle is on a Norfolk School Group on facebook!!!.

Only too happy to add info

I think the final year was the worst as everyone was defeated. We went on 'marches' around the Peace Gardens to 'save our school' and did a big chain hand in hand around the playing field aswell. Sadly to no avail.

What I often wonder if how long the closure was threatened as many many things were cancelled for yeargroups as I went up into the seniors. For instance they used to have swimming lessons I believe? Those stopped. As did things like cross country runs and many many sports and outings. Trips also (Thornbridge/France) were all a thing of the past seemingly the year we went up!

Mr Shackleton - Theres another name. Headteacher. I think he went though and the deputy stood in. Mr Moore? The name escapes me I'm afraid but I think it's possibly that. Angry man he was!!!! Just like Mr Cooke. Not one to cross! :blink:

I remember the school discos. There was always the threat of "Mental Springheads" as we called them he he coming down for a fight. They never turned up. It was just the thrill of wondering if they would lol

Some interesting history of the school here SheffBlade,

Marches and protests to try to save the school :o Stirring stuff, if I had known, and, if a lot of other ex-students had known we would probably have come and joined you and shown our support. ;-)

Trips, - the photo of the teachers in the rowing boat at Peasholm Park Scarborough I posted earlier in this thread was taken on a school camping holiday. we had been on a sponsored walk to raise money to buy the camping equipment (and another one to get a clapped out old 1946 ambulance which was passed off as the school bus). We were the first to use the camping equipment as the prize of the first holiday with it went to the form that raised the most money and with 42 of us we could hardly lose.

To us, members of the "other school" were just "Hurlfielders" as at the time it was Hurlfield. Never realised what a good school it was until I did my first teaching practice there in 1977. However in more recent times my son refered to the place as "Mental Myrtle" in a similar derisory sort of way.

It's why I went over to SheffieldZone ( http://sheffieldzone.co.uk/index.php ) as you can actually talk/discuss stuff

Nice link here to another sheffield discussion site.

Interesting to see that they have a topic called "Sheffield History" although it is different to our site and at present much smaller.

Guest SheffBlade

Nice link here to another sheffield discussion site.

Interesting to see that they have a topic called "Sheffield History" although it is different to our site and at present much smaller.

Yes the link to here is in a thread on there lol

Yes the link to here is in a thread on there lol

So now its a sort of 2 way link between the 2 sites. that should benefit BOTH of us.

Be nice if there were a few more old Norfolk students coming our way.

Guest SheffBlade

So now its a sort of 2 way link between the 2 sites. that should benefit BOTH of us.

Be nice if there were a few more old Norfolk students coming our way.

Not sure if there are any on there but you never know. Well, there's my OH who was there all his life. I can't remember if he joined up here or not but I'll let him know. He knows a lot more than me and left near 'the end' in about '90 or '91

Not sure if there are any on there but you never know. Well, there's my OH who was there all his life. I can't remember if he joined up here or not but I'll let him know. He knows a lot more than me and left near 'the end' in about '90 or '91

Thanks for your support on this. I am trying to encourage members to start a similar thread to this one on their school and use it to encourage new members as we have done here for Norfolk. Obviously I can't do this for other schools as I only attended Norfolk and Ashleigh.

Guest SheffBlade

Welcome. It's nice to remember and I'm surprised how much comes back when I put my mind to it!

My OH tried registering last night but got constant error messages. :( I'll ask him to try again and if he can't get in I'll contact support or an admin (??)

Welcome. It's nice to remember and I'm surprised how much comes back when I put my mind to it!

My OH tried registering last night but got constant error messages. :( I'll ask him to try again and if he can't get in I'll contact support or an admin (??)

Hi Sheffblade

Its the "Fuzzy Word" part of the registration that seems to cause people problems, my tip is to keep clicking the new word button until you get a clear phrase you can read and then to type it exactly as you see it.

Double check the email address he enters as the site will send a validation email

Stuart

Guest SheffBlade

Hi Sheffblade

Its the "Fuzzy Word" part of the registration that seems to cause people problems, my tip is to keep clicking the new word button until you get a clear phrase you can read and then to type it exactly as you see it.

Double check the email address he enters as the site will send a validation email

Stuart

Thanks. I'll tell him to try it as it did appear to be an issue with the word if I remember rightly

Eric Smith - Norfolk School Re - Union Nov: 2008

Inc a short film made by some of its pupils, c. 1970

YouTube (9:52)

Brilliant link SteveHB, thanks for that one, I have already downloaded a copy of the video.

This is the reunion that Karen Marsh advertised on sheffield history in another thread (she is a member) and which me and Stuart0742 both went to (I don't think we're in the film). The main film shown in the video link is "dead easy". Stuart and myself were involved in an earlier version of this film between 1970 and 1972 but this is a later remake from 1972-3 which has some better views of the school and its surrounding area from this era, - just a pity they have had to edit it down.

MAN WRIGHT

Man Wright was our English teacher.

My original comments on him on Friends Reunited were,

Mr. Wright was head of year 4 and taught English

These were very brief comments on him for a man who had such a big influence on us. He was head of year 4 (Y10 these days) BEFORE we got to it, by the time we hit fourth year in 1970 the comprehensive reorganisation had put Man Headley (aka "deadly Headley") in charge of year but Man Wright was now head of English, - it was his job to get us through an English course and to get the best qualifications he could out of us.

Now although English is a vitally important subject neither Stuart0742 or myself really liked it, we didn't consider ourselves any good at it and hated subjects where we felt we were being bullied or "forced" to do something we didn't like, - reading to the class, acting a play, reading poetry, - none of this really appealed and we knew our use of English was poor, being frequently told off for our poor spelling, poor grammar and use, quite naturally, of local accent and dialect. I was often told off for never saying YES and NO correctly, It was always AR' and NEOW.

Man Wright did put some pressure on us in a nice sort of way, in previous posts I have mentioned our parts in at least 2 school plays, although this had more to do with a visit to the school by a company called THEATRE VANGUARD from the old Sheffield Playhouse theatre (pre Crucible days) which inspired us than an English lesson. As for our exams -

Stuart was put under pressure by being "specially selected" for the CSE ORAL ENGLISH exam in which you had to talk to an external examiner. I managed to avoid this, but -

I was put under pressure to take both CSE and GCE O LEVEL English even though I thought I had no chance of passing either.

The end result was good pass grades for both of us, good results all round and an excellent result for Man Wright who had to guide us through it all.

Man Wright was our main English teacher, taking us in years 3, 4 & 5.

In year 1 we started off having Lass Kerr who bullied us more than taught, followed by Man Everatt when she conveniently "left" after giving us a term of hell.

In year 2 we had Lass Hart, I think she only stayed for that one year and then moved on, can't really remember a lot about her.

Guest transit

The red cars a Beetle what about the white car, is it a Vauxhall Cresta?? lol

....been a while , but it looks like the white car is a Standard Vanguard III . -similar to this model... ;-)

....been a while , but it looks like the white car is a Standard Vanguard III . -similar to this model... ;-)

This is DaveH's photo that Transit is referring to

This is DaveH's photo that Transit is referring to

Standard Vanguard III. VW Beetle and a woman in a white mini!

MAN (E-TYPE) SMITH

Man Smith was our Maths teacher.

My original comments on him on Friends Reunited were,

Mr E. Smith taught maths, he was from Wybourn in 1969 but was a really nice guy. In "creative activities" (remember those friday afternoon do what you want sessions) he taught us photography using the school darkroom and film making using 8mm film. If I remember right he also played the clarinet.

There were 2 Man Smiths at Norfolk and to avoid confusion they were identified as "E-type" and "woodwork".

Woodwork Smith was John Smith, a long serving member of staff so called because he taught proper "woodwork" in the days before CDT.

E type Smith was Eric Smith, so called because his first name, Eric, began with E, nothing to do with cars as he drove a Ford Anglia (although it was a 105E model) which frequently starred in his 8mm films, usually being stolen by 2 students and chased by Eric and a gang of Norfolk kids in the school bus, see the link to his film "dead easy" in post # 119.

For Maths we had Man Everatt in Y1, Pop Ward in Y2, Man Smith in Y3 and Man Rozenberg for the final 2 examination years. Unlike English in which me and Stuart0742 both didn't particularly like and felt unsure of our own abilities maths was completely different, we knew we could do it and were good at it, we used to compete against each other in tests, not to see who could win but to see if either of us could get 100% instead of "just the usual 90-odd %". it was our slightly arrogant attitude to maths that lead Man Everatt to call us "the cocky 'erberts"

We always got on great with Man Smith not only because we were his star maths students but also because of our involvement in photography and film. As this was at a technical level (camera work, darkroom work etc) and not just "taking pictures" we seemed to do more than the other volunteers into these friday afternoon groups.

It was certainly nice to meet him again last November at a special presentation of his films which of course now have historical value like those on Yorkshire Televisions "The way we were" series.