Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Hi Stuart I have tried to download load pictures without any luck, as soon as I click on the picture the download button dissapears. What do i do now I have reduced them in size is it possible to send you by email Thanks Michele

Hi Shelley

See attached , basically uploading a photo is a 3 stage process

1. locate your photo via Browse

2. Press upload

3. Attach to your post

At the final step when you click on the little green plus it will insert your photo where-ever your cursor is, give it a go. If not I will send you my email

Picture_upload.doc

Hi Shelley

See attached , basically uploading a photo is a 3 stage process

1. locate your photo via Browse

2. Press upload

3. Attach to your post

At the final step when you click on the little green plus it will insert your photo where-ever your cursor is, give it a go. If not I will send you my email

Picture_upload.doc

Always here to help Shelly, old Norfolk "students" tend to stick together.

Anyway Stuart,

First it was a little Swiss train.

Then it was you as a young lad with your ever faithful guard dog

What the hell are you using as an avitar now???

This one looks like an advert for Smarties.

Anyway Stuart,

Mr Happy with a red nose

Mr Happy with a red nose

Sort of thing SteveHB does with his avitar, its always the same bird picture but, -

At Christmas it had a border of Christmas decoration

Since beginning of March its gone all Welsh and has a daffodil

I reckon on 17th March next week for St. Patricks day he'll have that bird drinking a pint of Guiness he he

Guest shellybarnes

Anyway Stuart,

Very funny it is red nose day so your excused by me anyway.

I have managed to download some pictures into my albums, the one in the sheffield folder are the black and white prints my siter took when at norfolk. Unfortunately they have suffered

some damage but still can see them.

As I said previously I cant make out where they were taken, except the one of barkers pool. Take a look and see if you can work them out Thanks for your help Michele

Guest shellybarnes

Very funny it is red nose day so your excused by me anyway.

I have managed to download some pictures into my albums, the one in the sheffield folder are the black and white prints my siter took when at norfolk. Unfortunately they have suffered

some damage but still can see them.

As I said previously I cant make out where they were taken, except the one of barkers pool. Take a look and see if you can work them out Thanks for your help Michele

Sort of thing SteveHB does with his avitar, its always the same bird picture but, -

At Christmas it had a border of Christmas decoration

Since beginning of March its gone all Welsh and has a daffodil

I reckon on 17th March next week for St. Patricks day he'll have that bird drinking a pint of Guiness he he

It's actually for

Marie Curie Cancer Care 'wear your Daffodil in March'

;-)

Sorry Shelly I did not realise you were trying to upload them to a gallery, anyway job done.

The one of Barkers Pool would make a great Then & Now shot

It's actually for

Marie Curie Cancer Care 'wear your Daffodil in March'

;-)

Sorry Steve, thought it was for St. Davids Day

Hence the comment about St. Patrick and the Guiness (national emblem of Ireland).

But in April for St. Georges Day we want to see a knightin armour taking your fire breathing bird on in a fight.

That reminds me, for a pretty rough school on the Arbourthorne, why was "the school hymn" which we had to sing in morning assembly

FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT

Seems like encouragement to be even more violent to me.

Sorry Steve, thought it was for St. Davids Day

Hence the comment about St. Patrick and the Guiness (national emblem of Ireland).

But in April for St. Georges Day we want to see a knightin armour taking your fire breathing bird on in a fight.

That reminds me, for a pretty rough school on the Arbourthorne, why was "the school hymn" which we had to sing in morning assembly

FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT

Seems like encouragement to be even more violent to me.

Had it been for Wales, I would have had a leek on it lol

Remember the school motto 'endeavor' ?

"If at first you don't succeed try & try again"

Had it been for Wales, I would have had a leek on it lol

Remember the school motto 'endeavor' ?

"If at first you don't succeed try & try again"

Yes Endevour was the school motto, I think in both junior and senior school and the word appeared on the school badge that you had on your blazer top pocket.

It was one of those words that I could never spell (notice we have both spelt it differently).

One teacher always used to give it us in a weekly spelling test "spell the school motto, Endeavour". Fortunately the teacher wasn't that clever asking us to spell it because we just discretely copied it from our blazer badge on the top pocket so we always got it right provided we were in our school uniform.

Lets all sing together then ... lol

Fight the Good Fight with All Thy Might

Fight the good fight with all thy might!

Christ is thy strength, and Christ thy right;

Lay hold on life, and it shall be

Thy joy and crown eternally.

2. Run the straight race through God's good grace,

Lift up thine eyes, and seek His face;

Life with its way before us lies,

Christ is the path, and Christ the prize.

3. Cast care aside, lean on Thy guide,

His boundless mercy will provide;

Trust, and thy trusting soul shall prove

Christ is its life, and Christ its love.

4. Faint not nor fear, His arms are near,

He changeth not, and thou art dear;

Only believe, and thou shalt see

That Christ is all in all to thee.

MAN WHITHAM

Man Whitham was the deputy headmaster.

My original comments on him on Friends Reunited were,

Mr. Whiham was the deputy head, head of year 5 and he also taught civics which was offered as an option to history.

He was a firm disciplinarian, if you knew you had done something wrong and he was walking towards you down the corridor you would turn and run the other way rather than dare pass him.

I regularly had the misfortune of getting on the wrong side of him and seeing him walking towards me with that "your'e dead when I get hold of you" look.

The History teacher offered us 3 lessons a week of hard work, plenty of homework and loads of extra work to get History (British and European economic history 1850 - 1945) while Man Whitham offered us 3 lessons a week, 1 working, 1 playing chess and 1 just generally messing around and no homework to get Civics (proper title, - British Constitution, Government and Law). Not surprisingly we chose the latter.

Our History teacher was quite annoyed as me and Stuart0742 as we had come top at History for the previous 3 years before choosing our exam options.

This decision has had the following effects, -

Two of Sheffield History's most avid supporters actually dropped out of History at school (having come top at it previously)

30 years before the Department for Education came up with the idea of schools teaching "Citizenship" as a compulsory subject we had a qualification in it.

We both became fairly good chess players

We had ample opportunity to play about and cause havoc, get into bother and THEN have to face Man Whitham walking down the corridor!

Lets all sing together then ... lol

Fight the Good Fight with All Thy Might

Fight the good fight with all thy might!

Christ is thy strength, and Christ thy right;

Lay hold on life, and it shall be

Thy joy and crown eternally.

2. Run the straight race through God's good grace,

Lift up thine eyes, and seek His face;

Life with its way before us lies,

Christ is the path, and Christ the prize.

3. Cast care aside, lean on Thy guide,

His boundless mercy will provide;

Trust, and thy trusting soul shall prove

Christ is its life, and Christ its love.

4. Faint not nor fear, His arms are near,

He changeth not, and thou art dear;

Only believe, and thou shalt see

That Christ is all in all to thee.

You've been left school for nearly 40 years and you can still remember all of the school hymn :blink:

LASS MOORE

Lass Moore was the senior mistress.

My original comments on her on Friends Reunited were,

Miss Moore was the senior mistress, a sort of female version of Mr. Whiham who had the job of putting the same degree of fear into naughty girls as Mr. Whitham did with naughty boys.

Lass Moore was formidable, not only did she terrify the girls she also frightened the boys.

Me and Stuart0742 had her for music in the days when a music lesson consisted of Lass Moore sat at the front plonking away on the piano while the rest of us were expected to sing along to dreary old songs written in the 18 and 19th centuries from books which looked as though they dated from the 18 and 19th centuries. No modern stuff, no Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock and Roll and certainly you had to sing, - no instruments to be played or learnt. We certainly didn't enjoy our music lessons although we did both have an interest in music.

Because Lass Moore also frightened the boys she did actually look after the girls, sorted out their teenage "girls problems" and kept boys at a distance from them, - no sexual hanky panky with the girls while she was around, not even mild flirtation. Then again if you were a "naughty girl" she held the same degree of fear as Man Whitham did for the boys.

Stuart and I met Lass Moore at the Eric Smith film show last November. She certainly remembered who we were and was pleased to see us and know what we had done since leaving school as well as talking about our days at the school 40 years previously. She came across as a nice elderly lady totally different from how we judged her at school. She probably always was a nice person, its just that our judgements have changed as we have grown up.

You've been left school for nearly 40 years and you can still remember all of the school hymn :blink:

Yes 'Curly Whitham' taught it me .. lol

Who kept a very large gym plimsoll in the bottom of a cupboard (think it was size 12)

it was used for punishment

Yes 'Curly Whitham' taught it me .. lol

Who kept a very large gym plimsoll in the bottom of a cupboard (think it was size 12)

it was used for punishment

Wow, I'd forgotten than nickname for him!

In a previous post we had commented on how we always said Man and Lass instead of Sir and Miss with one or two additional nicknames thrown in like

Moggy Matthews and Pop Ward

But Curly Whitham, I had forgotten that one.

Hope you like the picture of him in my previous post above, sort of gives the game away as to why he was called "curly"

MAN EVERATT

Man Everatt was our first year form tutor.

Mr Everatt was in cherge of first year and taught both maths and English. His discipline was very strict but usually fair.

Me and Stuart0742 had first met on the very day at secondary school in September 1967.

I had come directly from Norfolk Junior, I was in a year group which had a choice on the 11 plus, a year earlier and it was compulsory, a year later and it had been abolished. I chose not to do the 11 plus, unfortunately my 2 best junior school friends did take it and passed.

Stuart had come from a school in Dronfield even though he lived in a boozer in the centre of Sheffield due to house and pub moves while he was in Junior school, needless to say he was the only one from that particular Junior school.

We were in the hall getting the tough disciplinary lecture from the head, the deputies and Man Everatt the "head of year" when Stuart came in (late), causing the head to stop talking. He walked down the aisle to the stage front, looked up at the head and said "I've come to sign on!". Instead of being annoyed the head just said "OK son, just sit down there for now" and then carried on. It was clear from this first incident that we shared a common sense of humour and that we would go on to do ever dafter things together, ultimately leading to doing posts on Sheffield History.

We were divided into temporary forms for 2 weeks with a temporary timetable until we were tested and put in forms graded by ability. Stuart went straight into Man Everatts form 1A straight away but I was placed in 1D (the shame!!) with my other friend from junior school "Frithy". 1D had a new female teacher called Lass Kerr who was to make our lives a misery for the first 2 terms teaching us English and History until, fortunately for us she "unexpectedly left".

After that first 2 weeks we were both in 1A with Man Everatt. we were his milk monitors and had to carry the crate containing 30 one-third pint bottles of milk in to the form room every morning and take the empties out at break. I actually got this job to help Stuart out because for the those first 2 weeks he had done it with another kid who was such a weakling he could hardly pick the crate up! We also had to go around the school every morning to fill up the board eraser fluid, not water but a spirit like fluid which absorbed the chalk dust, - got us out of half of Man Everatts maths lesson every Monday.

Because we did daft little jobs like this, but still kept on top of the work and came top in tests I think we escaped the worst of Man Everatt's discipline, although he regularly had to verbally pull us down a peg or two and always called us "cocky 'Erberts"

MAN WARD, a.k.a. "POP WARD"

Pop Ward was our second year form tutor.

Mr. Ward was in charge of year 2 and taught maths, he was also supposed to teach us RE one year but this ended up being yet another maths lesson.

Those who also attended Norfolk Infant school will remember that his wife taught the final year infants.

Pop Ward was a character with many eccentricities.

He taught us maths and ended up giving us 1940's and 50's college entrance exams as tests once a week (even in the second year). these were so easy that me and Stuart0742 used to compete against each other to see if we could get 100% as we regularly scored in the 90's. When we finally achieved 100% we did it on the same day in the same test and were immediately accused of cheating, which we hadn't because pop Ward made us all sit boy - girl, except for one lesson a week when the girls did something different and the boys had pop Ward for RE.

The RE lesson was non-existant, Pop didn't want to teach it so we just did yet another maths lesson instead! At the end of the year all the boys got on their report, -

RE, effort = C, achievement =C, comment, "satisfactory"

All except me and Stuart0742 who got

RE, effort =A, achievement =A, comment "excellent"

I think it was that 100% in those maths tests that swung it for us as we hadn't done a single RE lesson all year!

At one of these boys only "RE lessons" me and Stuart got the cane for being late. Actually we were just at the back of the queue to go in. we filed into the room past pop in the doorway. as we were going in the bell stopped ringing and as we had not yet entered the room he stopped us told us we were late and caned us! We didn't think this very fair for such a misconstrued miscarriage of justice, especially as some of the things we did which we got away with we actually deserved to be caned for.

MAN GILL

Man Gill was our third year form tutor and geography teacher.

My original very brief comments on him on Friends Reunited were,

Mr. Gill was the geography teacher

Man Gill had the problem of being our form tutor in the year that Sheffield schools went comprehensive (1969 -70) and our school took in extra students from schools which closed such as Wybourn. This had the effect of swelling our class size to 42.

To assist Man Gill in this his form room and teaching room was at the time (before it was divided up in the late 1970's) the largest room in the school. It was the room in the old school on the main corridor bang opposite the end of the bridge. It could hold all 42 of us and still had room at the back for his maps and stuff, including a 6 foot square table on which had been built a contour relief of Sheffield and the peak district, made by enlarging a contour map, tracing the height contours onto plywood, cutting them out with a jigsaw and stacking them up in height order and finally a bit of plaster of paris to remove the "steps" in the contours and a coat of paint.

He was always confident that we would do well at geography and we didn't let him down. For CSE we had to do a coursework project on a selected small area, producing surveys, maps and diagrams. It was my interest in photography, also learnt from Norfolk school, which lead me to also use photographs in my CSE project on Gleadless Townend and the Herdings. These photographs are now in other topics on this site (mainly in Those Gleadless pictures) although my original CSE project is long lost. Needless to say both myself and Stuart0742 achieved top grades.

MAN ROZENBURG

Man Rozenburg was our fourth year form tutor and maths teacher.

I have no picture of him as he retired from teaching in June 1972 as I took the photos in July

When Man Rozenburg retired most of our year group had already completed their exams and had left before the end of term. I was chosen as Head Boy and Pat Taylor as Head Girl to go up on stage in a special assembly to present him with a retirement gift. I was told by Lass Moore at the Eric Smith film show last november that he died not very long after his retirement.

Not surprisingly with a name like Rosenburg he was from a German - Jewish background and the story was that he had escaped from Germany in the 1930's when the Nazi's put their violent anti semitic policies into action. Weather this is true or not I don't know as he always came across as very British and I had been told that he was one of the longest serving teachers at the school, starting not long after the school first opened, also in the 1930's.

For many years Man Rozenburg had the large room at the corner on Cradock Road which overlooked the infant and nusery school yard. This was the "practical maths" room, a room where not very bright students could pour water from one container to another to prove that 2 pints make a quart and 4 quarts make a gallon. However when we had him as form tutor he moved into a room in the new block.

MAN CHAPMAN

Man Chapman was our fifth year form tutor and French teacher.

Mr. Chapman taught foreign languages and was another teacher to come from Wybourn in 1969. By this time we were stuck with French taught previously by Miss Grant but newer classes were taught German. His ownership of a VW beetle and passing similarity to the German dictator were of course all coincidental. A good teacher and brilliant chess player.

For me and Stuart0742 French was our worst subject (except possibly for PE).

For lad from the Arbourthorne estate in the 1960's France could just as well have been on the moon as just across the channel, - what chance would we ever have of going there? None!, How many French men have you met around here? None!, so why both learning their language? It held no interest at all and it was difficult to learn. I was part of an experiment to try and show that if you started a foreign language younger you got on with it better and as part of this I had done 2 years of French at Junior school. I was to prove the theory wrong!

Then, all too late, along came Man Chapman with flash cards, language labs, lingaphone records, sets of headphones, -all of a sudden French was fun, but it was too late for us. I have to admire him for trying to pull us up to standard from nothing in just 2 years though and we did try, - Stuart0742 tried to inpress him with an extensive French vocabulary in a test but only to get caught in possession of a french / English pocket dictionary in the same test!

For younger kids, but not us , they could chose German instead of French. Man Chapman introduced German to Norfolk School, a move which got a lot of comments about the language, his choice of car and his uncanny resemblance to Hitler (see photo above).

He was by far the best chess player I have ever met, he could not only beat all us kids he could even beat Man Whitham (we couldn't). My younger brother had him for German in the mid 1970's and was also in his chess club, he claims Man Chapman would take on every singlr member of the chess club simultaneously, playing 12 - 18 games at the same time going from board to board and player to player. He could often win all the games in one of these sessions.

As both Stuart0742 and myself like to take holidays in France, we perhaps both wish that we had actually done a bit better in Man Chapman's lessons.

Guest SheffBlade

I went to Norfolk but only for two years as it closed down in '92 and I had to move schools for my last two years of secondry :(

I went to Norfolk but only for two years as it closed down in '92 and I had to move schools for my last two years of secondry :(

Welcome to the team of old Norfolk students (or pupils as Stuart0742 calls them).

By my reconning there are now 7 ex-Norfolk members of sheffieldhistory, - more than any other school so far!

As you were there for the last 2 years of the schools existance I would be interested to know what it was like at that time and where you were moved to when it was closed.

I hope in this thread to build up a complete history of the school 1936 - 1992 and although at present most of the contributions have been from me and cover my time at Norfolk 1967 - 1972 I am really hoping to get contributions from other students to cover other periods of the schools history. So far Wayneybabes has been excellent at providing additional information in this respect but we are always on the look out for more.

Guest wayneybabes

I hope in this thread to build up a complete history of the school 1936 - 1992 and although at present most of the contributions have been from me and cover my time at Norfolk 1967 - 1972 I am really hoping to get contributions from other students to cover other periods of the schools history. So far Wayneybabes has been excellent at providing additional information in this respect but we are always on the look out for more.

there is a thread on sheffield forum

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...ol+cradock+road

(BTW i am trophyman on there)

p.s: Dave, your pictures get a mention in post #4 lol

p.p.s: sheffblade, are you kblade on sheff forum?