Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

dont know if i have put these on before and a couple of them may be yours Dave, but i have found a few more on Facebook!

1960(ish)

1969(ish)

1954 Football Team

just found another photo on facebook, totally out of focus but you know wheres its at

Looks like Brimmersfield Road, top entrance to top yard, where path cuts through to secondary school.

looking good

the old grass bank at the side of the steps where the path now is, is where i was knocked unconscious by a 'friend' pushing me into it head first

When I was there on the same grass bank a kid at the top threw a large piece of stone down at a kid trying to climb up which hit him on the head and did him a lot of injury.

dont know if i have put these on before and a couple of them may be yours Dave, but i have found a few more on Facebook!

1960(ish)

1969(ish)

1954 Football Team

None of these are mine wayneybabes and mosyt of them predate me, so must have been taken by someone older, - probably in their 60's or 70's by now.

Most of them are too small to make out individual people but the teacher in the middle of that second one (1960-ish) appears to be a young looking Man Wright.

Guest wayneybabes

When I was there on the same grass bank a kid at the top threw a large piece of stone down at a kid trying to climb up which hit him on the head and did him a lot of injury.

i got off lightly then!!

i got off lightly then!!

Probably,

It was a rough school you know.

All sorts of things went off in that top yard that resulted in bodily injury.

Remember I told you about that game of hide and seek that overspilled into some front gardens on Brimmersfield Road?

When Man Rackham took the cane to every lad involved in the incident (and there were quite a few) I bet that was painful as well.

Guest davekowl

None of these are mine wayneybabes and mosyt of them predate me, so must have been taken by someone older, - probably in their 60's or 70's by now.

Most of them are too small to make out individual people but the teacher in the middle of that second one (1960-ish) appears to be a young looking Man Wright.

Bang on Dave H. The teacher is Man Wright and the photo was taken around 1961 . I'm on the second row from the front on the extreme left .

Sorry I can't name everyone but I can see old mates like Alan Kent , Jimmy Smith, John Crow ,Mick Bownes , Neil Worsefold and many more.

That brings back so many memories.

I haven't contributed for a while but I do follow the Norfolk School thread and really enjoy reading about the old place

Bang on Dave H. The teacher is Man Wright and the photo was taken around 1961 . I'm on the second row from the front on the extreme left .

Sorry I can't name everyone but I can see old mates like Alan Kent , Jimmy Smith, John Crow ,Mick Bownes , Neil Worsefold and many more.

That brings back so many memories.

I haven't contributed for a while but I do follow the Norfolk School thread and really enjoy reading about the old place

So who took the photos then Dave?

They look a bit amateur to have been taken by a professional school photographer.

I suspect a teacher or one of the other students in the class

Guest davekowl

So who took the photos then Dave?

They look a bit amateur to have been taken by a professional school photographer.

I suspect a teacher or one of the other students in the class

Can't remember the names of half the kids in the photo never mind who took it but I'm pretty sure it was a professional photographer.

Somewhere I've got a photo of the school football team from that era and I'm searching high and low for it . I will post it if I ever find it.

Oh to be organised.

Latest pictures of the building work

Much easier to photograph now that a lot of the fencing has been removed.

Got to admit that it's looking pretty good and seems to be almost complete.

When is it planned to reopen?

Could it be as soon as September 2010 (2 weeks time) for the start of the new school year?

I can't even get away with calling it the "Pupil Referral Unit" any more! :angry:

It's now the "STUDENT INCLUSION SUPPORT CENTRE" <_<

Stuart please note, STUDENT, not PUPIL :P

I suppose it's still a really nice, sanitised way of saying that it is still a place to send naughty kids that can't behave in a normal school.

The signs referring to the "STUDENT INCLUSION SUPPORT CENTRE" seem to have been removed and replaced with this one at the main entrance, now on Spring Lane

So now we are called "SHEFFIELD EAST MULTI AGENCY SUPPORT TEAM" :blink:

That means absolutely nothing :unsure:

...and since when has Sheffield been a limited company? <_<

It makes you ANGRY!!! :angry:

But I'm not bothered anyway,

It will always be NORFOLK SCHOOL to me ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

When is it planned to reopen?

Could it be as soon as September 2010 (2 weeks time) for the start of the new school year?

The original plan was to open it in September, according to the lady i spoke to when i rang about permission to do a certain video of the old place!

Can't see them having had any hold-ups apart from the snow last winter, though that didnt seem to stop them working as i suppose on those days they could have done interior work.

BTW, there are now 5 a side footie nets in the tennis courts

Guest wayneybabes

...and since when has Sheffield been a limited company? <_<

It makes you ANGRY!!! :angry:

To anyone who doesnt know, it stands for "Peoples Learning Centre" or something like that

The original plan was to open it in September, according to the lady i spoke to when i rang about permission to do a certain video of the old place!

Can't see them having had any hold-ups apart from the snow last winter, though that didnt seem to stop them working as i suppose on those days they could have done interior work.

BTW, there are now 5 a side footie nets in the tennis courts

Looks like it could be up and running and accepting its first new "inmates" within a fortnight then.

To anyone who doesnt know, it stands for "Peoples Learning Centre" or something like that

So all these big companies and banks which make massive profits are really just Learning Centres then! :blink:

Guest wayneybabes

So all these big companies and banks which make MASSIVE profits are really just Learning Centres then! :blink:

Dave, have you still got the pdf plans i sent you?. My work computer crashed in February and ive lost it!. I am sure it said on those plans what PLC stood for and i am sure it was Peoples Learning Centre

Dave, have you still got the pdf plans i sent you?. My work computer crashed in February and ive lost it!. I am sure it said on those plans what PLC stood for and i am sure it was Peoples Learning Centre

Yes still got them,

So if you have lost your copy send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy back

Having checked the pdf document the abbreviation PLC is quite prominent in the naming and on the artists impression of the building.

However, it actually stands for PERSONALISED LEARNING CENTRE.

Personalised, -In other words it gives basically individualised one to one tuition to those who can't (or won't) learn in a class with around 30 others! <_<

However, "Personalised" sounds better than "Peoples"

"Peoples Learning Centre" makes it sound like a school in a Communist country like China or the former Soviet Union.

"Community School" would be our equivalent western wording of a "Peoples School", although we would both probably call them "State Schools"

Guest wayneybabes

Yes still got them,

So if you have lost your copy send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy back

Having checked the pdf document the abbreviation PLC is quite prominent in the naming and on the artists impression of the building.

However, it actually stands for PERSONALISED LEARNING CENTRE.

Personalised, -In other words it gives basically individualised one to one tuition to those who can't (or won't) learn in a class with around 30 others! <_<

However, "Personalised" sounds better than "Peoples"

"Peoples Learning Centre" makes it sound like a school in a Communist country like China or the former Soviet Union.

"Community School" would be our equivalent western wording of a "Peoples School", although we would both probably call them "State Schools"

knew it was something like that though admittedly, peoples didnt sound correct

knew it was something like that though admittedly, peoples didnt sound correct

So, Norfolk Junior School is now officially

SHEFFIELD EAST MULTI AGENCY SUPPORT TEAM PERSONALISED LEARNING CENTRE

I'm not impressed with that :angry:

A while back Suzy asked if I knew what had happened to some of the old Norfolk teachers.

A search of the Internet has produced the following

Eric Smith

Alive and well in November 2008 when he attended the showing of his films.

He was interviewed on camera about his films and is seen here in a frame from the film (hence low quality).

..and for comparison how he looked 36 years earlier when he was teaching us.

Brenda Moore

Also attended the 2008 showing of Man Smiths films.

She was still doing well.

She also told us that

Leonard Piercy

Is alive and well and now living in Australia

Arthur Matthews

He was NOT at the showing of Man Smiths films and we were told that he was not in the best of health at the time and having difficulty getting about..

However, a search of the Internet reveals that he did manage to attend a Norfolk reunion at some unspecified date / year but fairly recently.

..and again, for comparison, here he is over 35 years previously

It would appear that at the same reunion they managed to get the headmaster

J. R. Thompson

Unfortunately, the photo taken of him shows him talking to someone and facing away from the camera

..and again this is what he looked like in the early 1970's

Again I was not a part of this reunion so I don't know exactly when it took place but I am lead to believe that Mr. Thompson has since died and is no longer with us.

I am still attempting, using standard BMD records, to produce a list of deceased staff.

LATE ADDITION.

Found a better picture of Man thompson at the same reunion.

See he drinks pints. lol

Also found on the Internet was this school prefects photo from 1964

It is taken in the "school hall", but as this is a 1964 photo so was taken a year or two before the glass tower accessible by bridge extension was built it is not the hall we know.

I think the location is in the room which we knew as the school library on the opposite side of the corridor to the staff room.

Man Whitham, Man Thompson and Lass Moore are clearly visible in the centre of the picture

They are of course authoritive figures for the prefects, being Deputy Head, Headmaster and Senior Mistress respectively.

The blonde girl on the left of the second row wearing a school tie is my elder cousin, Kathleen Sneesby.

Also in the picture somewhere is Gordon Kind.

I don't know which one he is and I have never met him, but I do know that in 1964 he passed O Level chemistry.

Very few students took chemistry at all due to a system whereby for science

All the girls did Biology (they were going to marry and have a family)

and all the boys did Physics (they were going to get jobs in steel, mining and engineering)

at least that was the logic, - they wouldn't get away with that argument these days.

Only those students with particular aptitude in sciences ever took chemistry and they had to apply specially to do it as it caused a lot of timetabling problems.

Even then, because of the nature of the school, very few students did O Levels, most did CSE.

So, Gordon Kind passed chemistry O level in 1964.

The very next person to achieve that was me in 1972!

OK, here's one for me and Stuart to remember with some affection

The person who posted this picture on the net says it is a picture of the 1968 Christmas School Disco and is asking for information on the identity of the people in the picture or wanting to know where they are now.

Now to be honest I can't identify anyone in the picture and I don't know where any of them are now.

BUT I do know who took the picture, who developed and printed it, where it was printed, what type of paper it is on and how much the owner would have paid for it..

I don't think it is the Christmas 1968 disco, I think it is the October half term disco 1968. The school had 2 discos per year at these times and I seem to remember the processing was done before Christmas and not in the early part of 1969.

Stuart and myself had just learnt how to develop and print photographs from Moggy Matthews and effectively we were the school photo club. We had done this from the start of our second year so we had got half a terms practice and experience behind us and were ready to go for it.

Man Piercy photographed the 1968 disco using a new Japanese camera he had bought, I think it was a Minolta. Moggy talked him into letting us develop it for him, which we did. The disco pictures were on Ilford FP3 and there was a roll and a half of them, possibly 2 rolls. So with 36 shots to the roll we were looking at something like 50 or so pictures.

Moggy kept giving us money to go out of school at lunchtime to go in the chemists shop and buy supplies

Yes, there was a chemists shop on City Road front, now long gone, anyone remember it? Whose chemists was it?

Now in those days even your average street corner chemist shop had a large range of photographic darkroom equipment.

We bought Johnsons of Hendon fixer for 1/6 (7.5p) as a powder and made it up to solution ourselves.

We bought general purpose developers for about 3/6 a bottle (17.5p)

I remember on one occasion going into the shop and asking the young female assistant

"Can we have 25 sheets of Kodak Bromesko, postcard size, double weight, white, smooth, glossy, normal contrast photographic paper please"

thinking that they wouldn't have any, to which she replied

"Oh yes, no problem", took out a key, unlocked a wooden storage cabinet and passed us the item we had asked for. "There you go, that will be 4 shillings and tenpence please" (44p)

When we had printed one copy of each of the disco pictures Man Piercy, very enterprisingly, stuck them to a board and put them on display with a message saying if you wanted to buy a copy of the pictures to order them with Mr. Matthews. before a certain date. Now moggy, having paid out for all the stuff from that City Road Front chemists shop knew what it would cost, about 3d per photo, so the pictures were to go on sale at 6d (2.5p) which was still a bargain price at the time and there was 100% profit on each one! :o

We got hundreds of orders, more for some pictures than others. To make things awkward Man Piercy had numbered the pictures on his display so that kids could order " a copy of numbers 2, 7 19, 25, 33 and 47 please" (all for 3/-) BUT he hadn't used the negative numbers which meant that we had to match a number to a negative image of what they wanted.

Now we had a mamoth job of printing several copies of each picture in the set again, - a different (ordered and paid for) number for each one. It was going to take us ages.

However, as Man Piercy and Moggy had kids constantly asking them "Are my pictures I paid for ready yet?" we were given a special dispensation to take time out of lessons to get the job done.

So, being typical second year lads we milked this situation with our "get out of lessons free" card and took a lot of time and care over it missing all the lessons we didn't like.

No English with Lass Harty, No French with Lass Curry, No Music with Lass Moore, No Art with Lass Bray, No RE with Pop Ward, - brilliant!

Some of the pictures were not up to standard and Man piercy made us do them again, - "too dark", "too light", "funny mark on the picture", all of which gave us that useful darkroom experience to get our pictures just right.

Stuart may remember an incident in which we pulled the negative strip through the carrier a bit too far to try and centre the picture on a very attractive 5th form girl with ample assets (the sort of thing teenage lads would do) and ended up printing 2 halves of 2 different pictures on one piece of paper! :o

I can't remember how we explained that one to Man Piercy :rolleyes:

Although when we told Moggy we probably just laughed our heads off he hehe he

So, the person that posted this image on the net has certainly brought back a lot of memories of my earliest days in photography.

Makes me wonder though, - this is just ONE picture out of a set of around 50

Has anyone got the full set?

I'm sure that some kids did just order the lot (50 pictures would have cost them £1.25 in modern money)

It would be nice to see all of them again

HEY!!, - and we never got paid out of that 100% profit margin :o

Some schools treat their kids like slave labour lol