Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest davekowl

Welcome back davekowl, I'm glad you are enjoying this thread.

If we are "the young ones" how about adding a few details about the school in the 1958 -63 period, or if you went to the juniors, infants and nursery as well, even earlier still. Hopefully we will eventually build up a full history of the school from 1935 to 1991.

As I said originally the Tingle family was well known in the local community and they all went through Norfolk school. There were many other families like this and their stories also form part of the schools history so any names of local ex students are also appreciated.

I started in the infants school in 1952 after spending some time at Heeley Bank School. My memories of this time are very vague and I'm afraid I can't remember any of the teachers but I do remember the morning assemblies when , if it was your birthday, you were invited on to the stage and asked to select a birthday candle to light.

I then moved to the juniors and although my memory is a little better of this time I can still only recall 3 teachers. They were Mr Ellingham , Mr Plant (a real ladies man )and Miss Linguard, the object of his attentions. This was probably when I discovered that there was some kind of difference between men and women (innocent days). The school canteen was built around this time (mid 50s) ,in the lower playground and was at the time the bees knees.

I took my 11plus exam and predictably failed and so moved to the senior school where my memory improves.

It was 1958 and many of the teachers mentioned in earlier posts were there . The school was in general a good place to be and encouraged the playing of many sports. I was lucky enough to play for the school football and cricket teams all through my time there and also played badminton for the school. We played in the school hall until the gym was built (1961ish).

I remember Man Green (then sports teacher) telling us it cost £12000 to build .A fortune in those days.

I stayed on at Norfolk for an extra year to take my RSA Exams, as mentioned in an earlier post, and left school in 1963

I always wanted to go back to Norfolk to have a look round but never got round to it. Alas , I now never will , but it will always hold great memories for me

I started in the infants school in 1952 after spending some time at Heeley Bank School. My memories of this time are very vague and I'm afraid I can't remember any of the teachers but I do remember the morning assemblies when , if it was your birthday, you were invited on to the stage and asked to select a birthday candle to light.

I then moved to the juniors and although my memory is a little better of this time I can still only recall 3 teachers. They were Mr Ellingham , Mr Plant (a real ladies man )and Miss Linguard, the object of his attentions. This was probably when I discovered that there was some kind of difference between men and women (innocent days). The school canteen was built around this time (mid 50s) ,in the lower playground and was at the time the bees knees.

I took my 11plus exam and predictably failed and so moved to the senior school where my memory improves.

It was 1958 and many of the teachers mentioned in earlier posts were there . The school was in general a good place to be and encouraged the playing of many sports. I was lucky enough to play for the school football and cricket teams all through my time there and also played badminton for the school. We played in the school hall until the gym was built (1961ish).

I remember Man Green (then sports teacher) telling us it cost £12000 to build .A fortune in those days.

I stayed on at Norfolk for an extra year to take my RSA Exams, as mentioned in an earlier post, and left school in 1963

I always wanted to go back to Norfolk to have a look round but never got round to it. Alas , I now never will , but it will always hold great memories for me

Thanks davekowl, you have added a few extra extra names to our list of teachers, especially the junior school ones

I am sure I have heard of this Miss Liguard before, - although I cannot recall any of the others.

So you are younger than my friend Pete Harrison, who left in 1952, and slightly older than my cousins, who left in the mid 60's.

Ideally I can get enough members who are ex-students involved in this thread with such a span of ages as to cover most of the history of the school.

A bit of a long shot, especially for the schools very early years, but who knows?

Guest davekowl

Thanks davekowl, you have added a few extra extra names to our list of teachers, especially the junior school ones

I am sure I have heard of this Miss Liguard before, - although I cannot recall any of the others.

So you are younger than my friend Pete Harrison, who left in 1952, and slightly older than my cousins, who left in the mid 60's.

Ideally I can get enough members who are ex-students involved in this thread with such a span of ages as to cover most of the history of the school.

A bit of a long shot, especially for the schools very early years, but who knows?

I recently bumped into an old friend of mine called Brian Rasdale who is 4 or 5 years older than me and attended Norfolk School.When I next see him I

will try to get him to think back and see if he can come up with more recollections of the school in his time there(it might cost me a couple of pints though).

I recently bumped into an old friend of mine called Brian Rasdale who is 4 or 5 years older than me and attended Norfolk School.When I next see him I

will try to get him to think back and see if he can come up with more recollections of the school in his time there(it might cost me a couple of pints though).

Information like that is often well worth thev price of a few pints.

Like the Tingle family mentioned earlier, Rasdale sounds a memorable local name.

Fairly sure there were some Rasdales going through school in my time there.

The new extension takes shape, up go the girders.

Work has continued on this extemsion over Christmas and through the recent bad weather.

Work has continued on this extemsion over Christmas and through the recent bad weather.

They have also started doing the building of some sort of extension in the top yard as well

and they have scaffolding around the rest of the old school, I suppose for a bit of exterior renovation and refurbishment

The new extension in progress.

This pair of "then & now" pictures are only taken 4 months apart (September 2009 / January 2010)

They clearly show how much work has progressed on the new extension.

This sign reminded me of an incident at the old school.

It was around 21st March 1969, or more precisely, is was the date of the vernal equinox ("first day of spring") in 1969.

We had just been through a winter much worse than the one we have just been through and even by late March it was still snowing and there was still quite a depth of snow on the ground and it was very cold.

We, as second years, had a PE lesson that day with Man McDermott and it was our outdoor (football) lesson.

Man McDermott deceided that we would play football up on Arbourthorne Playing Fields rather than the school field. He sometimes did this, I think because the school field was only big enough for 2 football pitches, and only one of those was of decent quality. If the weather had softened the field up and made it so that it could turn to mud or get damaged he would take lessons up to Arbourthorne Fields instead so that the school field would be preserved for interhouse / interschool league matches.

While we were up on Arbourthorne playing fields, playing football in about 8 inches of snow we noticed 2 men lurking around with posh cameras, Nikons and the like. These men approached Man McDermott and told them who they were.

It turned out they were from The Star and they wanted an article about the first day of spring and how unseasonal the weather was. Their idea was to photograph the sign which said "Spring Lane" (It was not the one in my picture which is on the school railings but a free standing one on the corner where Northern Avenue turns through 90 degrees to become Spring Lane) with a group of lads playing in the snow around the sign and to use the picture in The Star with their article which would basically say "well Spring is here but isn't the weather awful".

A group of lads were chosen by Man McDermott. Not suprisingly he picked all the star football players so that ruled me and Stuart out straight away, but to be fair by the end of the lesson we were so cold we just wanted to get changed and get back into school to warm up a bit.

So, as far as I know, the picture was actually used. If anyone has or can trace a copy I would be interested to see it again after all those years and if it gets posted on here then either me or Stuart will be happy to identify any of our classmates who were in the picture.

Eric Smith - Norfolk School Re - Union Nov: 2008

Inc a short film made by some of its pupils, c. 1970

YouTube (9:52)

Now by the magic of embedded links, the Eric Smith documentary / part video direct to this thread

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Guest wayneybabes

They have also started doing the building of some sort of extension in the top yard as well

Happy belated new year to you all!!!!

i was informed by Adrian that the extension in the picture you have posted above, dave, will NOT be a new design like the one in the bottom playground, but should be very similar to the existing building

great pictures Dave, as ever!

Happy belated new year to you all!!!!

i was informed by Adrian that the extension in the picture you have posted above, dave, will NOT be a new design like the one in the bottom playground, but should be very similar to the existing building

great pitcures Dave, as ever!

Be interesting to see how they fit a building into that top yard in keeping with the original building and giving full access to it from the old building.

The pictures are not that great wayneybabes, those security fences and that finer mesh fencing really do get in the way :(

As suzy would say, you will have to contact someone and get yourself invited in to take some pictures and perhaps make a short film while you are there lol

Guest wayneybabes

Be interesting to see how they fit a building into that top yard in keeping with the original building and giving full access to it from the old building.

The pictures are not that great wayneybabes, those security fences and that finer mesh fencing really do get in the way :(

As suzy would say, you will have to contact someone and get yourself invited in to take some pictures and perhaps make a short film while you are there lol

you mean like this classic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb_3Cx5n2k

lol lol lol lol lol

you mean like this classic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb_3Cx5n2k

lol lol lol lol lol

Yes exactly like that one wayneybabes lol

Here's a little trick I learnt from Stuart ;-)

There's no need to go to YouTube to see it as you can embed it in your posts like this ;-)

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Guest wayneybabes

Yes exactly like that one wayneybabes lol

Here's a little trick I learnt from Stuart ;-)

There's no need to go to YouTube to see it as you can embed it in your posts like this ;-)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i tried that but it wouldnt do it for some reason. good video though and cheers to the cameraman :unsure:

i tried that but it wouldnt do it for some reason. good video though and cheers to the cameraman :unsure:

OK, advice from Stuart is this.

1 paste the embed link into your post as you appear to have already done

2 scroll down to the box below the one where you add attachments, the box called post options

3 the drop down menu in the post options will say HTML Off, open the drop down menu and select HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode, the last option

4 upload your post by pressing add reply button as usual

Changing the post option as in step 3 should get the embedded link working.

Guest wayneybabes

OK, advice from Stuart is this.

1 paste the embed link into your post as you appear to have already done

2 scroll down to the box below the one where you add attachments, the box called post options

3 the drop down menu in the post options will say HTML Off, open the drop down menu and select HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode, the last option

4 upload your post by pressing add reply button as usual

Changing the post option as in step 3 should get the embedded link working.

will try that next time, cheers ;-)

More good photos DaveH - can't help thinking though its going to look out of place :blink:

By the way, going back to an earlier thread about the Tingles, my brain has had a bit more time to think about it and possibly the older sister was called Diane????

Also, in relation to an earlier thread, I remember Mark Bailey well, as he was in the same year as me. lol

More good photos DaveH - can't help thinking though its going to look out of place :blink:

By the way, going back to an earlier thread about the Tingles, my brain has had a bit more time to think about it and possibly the older sister was called Diane????

Also, in relation to an earlier thread, I remember Mark Bailey well, as he was in the same year as me. lol

Could well have been a Diane Tingle. Family lived on Eastern Avenue in section between Dagnam Road and the alleyway through to Algar Road.

Mark Bailey, remind me, did they used to live in the Vic Hallam / Finnegan houses on the Brimmesfields between Spring Lane and Park Grange Road?

Name sounds familiar.

Wayneybabes tells me you would also be interested in my latest additions to the thread called "Those Gleadless Pictures"

Could well have been a Diane Tingle. Family lived on Eastern Avenue in section between Dagnam Road and the alleyway through to Algar Road.

Mark Bailey, remind me, did they used to live in the Vic Hallam / Finnegan houses on the Brimmesfields between Spring Lane and Park Grange Road?

Name sounds familiar.

Wayneybabes tells me you would also be interested in my latest additions to the thread called "Those Gleadless Pictures"

Mark Bailey (blonde hair) lived on City Road, only a few houses from where Wayneybabes lived, but I know the family moved from there years ago.

Wayneybabes is right, I am interested in the Gleadless pictures having lived there when the houses were first built. My Brother-in-law and family still live at Gleadless also, so its good to see the pictures and read the commentary that has been posted. Keep up the good work! lol

Mark Bailey (blonde hair) lived on City Road, only a few houses from where Wayneybabes lived, but I know the family moved from there years ago.

Wayneybabes is right, I am interested in the Gleadless pictures having lived there when the houses were first built. My Brother-in-law and family still live at Gleadless also, so its good to see the pictures and read the commentary that has been posted. Keep up the good work! lol

Not so sure then, I think I was confusing him with Ricky Metrick (do you know him).

If you left in 1974, within 2 years of me and Stuart we probably know a lot of ex students in common.

I can remember a fair few of the kids in the years below me while I was there.

Not so sure then, I think I was confusing him with Ricky Metrick (do you know him).

If you left in 1974, within 2 years of me and Stuart we probably know a lot of ex students in common.

I can remember a fair few of the kids in the years below me while I was there.

Ricky Metrick : may have had a brother called Lee who was in my year and Ricky may have been in the year below, or two years below (same year as my sister - I will ask her)???? ;-)

Ricky Metrick : may have had a brother called Lee who was in my year and Ricky may have been in the year below, or two years below (same year as my sister - I will ask her)???? ;-)

They lived in the Vic Hallams on Park Grange near the one that you once mentioned in another thread that burnt out.

Actual address wasn't Park Grange Road though, something like Brimmesfield Close / Drive.

Very close to the school, handy for going home at dinnertime / wagging it / etc.

They lived in the Vic Hallams on Park Grange near the one that you once mentioned in another thread that burnt out.

Actual address wasn't Park Grange Road though, something like Brimmesfield Close / Drive.

Very close to the school, handy for going home at dinnertime / wagging it / etc.

Wagging it!!! Surely not he he

Wagging it!!! Surely not he he

As I enjoyed school so much I never actually "wagged it" but living on Eastern Avenue it was still so close that I could nip out at break / lunchtime and still be back on time for the next lesson. :rolleyes:

At times this became quite useful. I am sure wayneybabes, living where he did on City Road backing on to the school field was in a similar situation.

The kids who were "bused in" from Park Hill, Hyde Park and the Wybourne couldn't do this could they?

They had to wag it :o

Me and Stuart had a friend called Frithy who lived opposite the school at the junction of Cradock Road and Dagnam Road.

That was even handier. ;-)

I am trying to do a plan of the junior school to use on here to identify particular locations.

As I am working from photos and wayneybabes videos it obviously won't be to scale but there are some unusual features for such a symetrical looking school.

1}

The corridors parallel to Brimmesfield Road

The closeest one has 3 classrooms on it, the furthest only 2, all being identical in size (although it does have a couple of wash / cloackrooms to compensate)

2} The toilet corner block

This is not, and cannot be, the same size as the other 3 corner blocks due to the disabled corridor.

In fact this is evident from the outside as this block looks different, is taller for some reason and has a different style of roof.

Hope to have a plan on here soon.

Good job its not the secondary school plan (although that would be brilliant) with all those strange angled corners on those corridors.