Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Guest wayneybabes

2 square blocks it is wayneybabes, but with quite a long corridor between them having the staff room on 1 side (side facing out to the street). The staff room was big and later became the 6th form common room during the short period that Norfolk had a 6th form. On the opposite side of the corridor, facing in to the quad was the library, again a big room. The main entrance to this was at the square block end at the Brimmesfield Road side of the school, although there were other doors into it (well at least 1) into the corridor. I think this library, from its size, position and layout was originally conceived as the school hall and may have been used as such until the prefabricated room in the middle of the quad was built (year unknown) and this became the school hall, later to become a big art room when the final school hall was built in 1965 in the new glass tower extension. Steves map shows the staffroom corridor and the main corridor where the bridge joins to be approximately the same length to give the building the desired symmetry.

I always though that there were 2 annexe block buildings, with a small gap between, - the place where the 2 "bad lads" sat in wait to nick Man Smiths car in the film "Dead Easy". Steves map confirms this, - although the 2 annexe blocks are not of equal size, the one nearer the junior school being bigger than the one near the main entrance on Cradock Road. A more interesting question would therefore be, how many classrooms were there in each of the annexe blocks? I'm guessing at it being a 3 - 4 split, 7 rooms in total.

this is the part of the school i will be struggling on as i hardly ever ventured in these classrooms, only passed them on the way to lessons so on the finished article the layout may look strange.

as for the annexe, this explains why i thought there may be 3 because the one behind the tower block was so small. again, may have to be guesswork with the classrooms but i think you may be correct dave, the bigger one may have had 4, even 5 classrooms.

Guest wayneybabes

just noticed this pic from the official opening booklet. makes my job a lot easier! (see bottom pic)

didnt realise both corridors either side of quad where ever open plan?

Guest wayneybabes

nearly finished my project, only got to finish the Annexe and do the Tennis Courts and it will be ready for videoing

nearly finished my project, only got to finish the Annexe and do the Tennis Courts and it will be ready for videoing

attachicon.gifannexe.jpg

Looking good Wayneybabes, I am looking forward to seeing the finished video walkthrough.

Brilliant piece of work wayneybabes.
I know how long you have been working on this project and how much time and effort must have gone into it.
Within the limitations of the minecraft software (surfaces, styles, etc) it is as close to the real school as we are likely to get.
The school may have been demolished in 1997, but you can still take a virtual walk through it and have a look around.
Now how many other old, demolished schools can boast having a new virtual school?

Guest wayneybabes

Brilliant piece of work wayneybabes.

I know how long you have been working on this project and how much time and effort must have gone into it.

Within the limitations of the minecraft software (surfaces, styles, etc) it is as close to the real school as we are likely to get.

The school may have been demolished in 1997, but you can still take a virtual walk through it and have a look around.

Now how many other old, demolished schools can boast having a new virtual school?

Cheers Dave. Have you noticed how i avoided going into the classrooms that are strange shaped?. Did you also notice the acknowledgement of yours and SteveHB's help at the end of the vid?

Cheers Dave. Have you noticed how i avoided going into the classrooms that are strange shaped?. Did you also notice the acknowledgement of yours and SteveHB's help at the end of the vid?

Didn't notice the missing classrooms as I assumed you were just doing a selection, - there are a lot of classrooms after all.

I did notice the acknowledgements at the end, - after recent problems with pictures of ours being "stolen" rather than "reposted with permission" I always look now. I didn't expect an acknowledgement as you have done all the hard work, but it is appreciated.

Has aunt Suzy seen it yet? I bet she is going to be impressed with it. (Is she a member of the Facebook group?)

Remember the date you posted this video and lets see how long it is before someone else finds it and reposts it (possibly claiming it to be their own work) without even bothering to contact you and ask. I have come to hate that sort of behaviour and attitude to other peoples work.

Guest blondewytch

Hi , I am new to the forum .

I went to Norfolk senior school until I left in 1974. I couldn't stand the place. So glad when I walked out of the gate for the last time . Remember Deadly Headley & he hated me because I was a rebel . No I am afraid those days I was glad to leave behind . <_<

Welcome to Sheffield History blondewytch and thank you for posting.

Although most of us who regularly post in this section have happy memories of our school days I realise there must be a large number of ex students like yourself who absolutely hated it. As these people still have valuable memories and information about the school but are highly unlikely to post in a forum like this any comments and posts you make (providing they are civil and comply with our site etiquette (no swearing and all that) are most welcome.

If you left in 1974 our time at the school must have overlapped, I left in 1972

Recreating the school uniform I wore around 40-odd years ago for a charity event at work to raise money for Bluebell Wood childrens hospice in memory of a girl in my form who died of cancer last November, aged 13.

So far the school I work at has raised around £1500 from this one day event in which kids came dressed as teachers and teachers, like me, came dressed as kids.

Not a bad charitable contribution for day of fun in which I reverted back to being my teenage self.

I really wanted to start a fight with another kid (a teacher)to see how big a crowd we could get around us watching and gloating as we hit each other. I also wanted to see, if any socially minded kid, dressed as a teacher, with a grade A in citizenship, would be brave enough to push through the crowd and try to stop us fighting.

However, my professional training prevented me going that far, and my wife didn't want to see on the news that I had become, aged 58, the oldest schoolboy ever to be expelled from school!

Guest wayneybabes

Didn't notice the missing classrooms as I assumed you were just doing a selection, - there are a lot of classrooms after all.

I did notice the acknowledgements at the end, - after recent problems with pictures of ours being "stolen" rather than "reposted with permission" I always look now. I didn't expect an acknowledgement as you have done all the hard work, but it is appreciated.

Has aunt Suzy seen it yet? I bet she is going to be impressed with it. (Is she a member of the Facebook group?)

Remember the date you posted this video and lets see how long it is before someone else finds it and reposts it (possibly claiming it to be their own work) without even bothering to contact you and ask. I have come to hate that sort of behaviour and attitude to other peoples work.

havent been on SH for ages with being so busy on the FB Group so only just seen this.

Auntie Suzy might have seen it on here but she isnt on facebook.

I dont envy anyone trying to edit the video with the messages of thanks and links i have put in it!!!

Guest wayneybabes

I really wanted to start a fight with another kid (a teacher)to see how big a crowd we could get around us watching and gloating as we hit each other. I also wanted to see, if any socially minded kid, dressed as a teacher, with a grade A in citizenship, would be brave enough to push through the crowd and try to stop us fighting.

However, my professional training prevented me going that far, and my wife didn't want to see on the news that I had become, aged 58, the oldest schoolboy ever to be expelled from school!

lol Brilliant

The "T" shaped building at the bottom of Cradock Rd was the Nursery, which I attended between the years 1947/48.

That's interesting tozzin, when I was in the nursery 10 years later (1958/59) the nursery was higher up Cradock Road on the long corridor from the infant quad up towards the secondary school with the school playground in front of it.

The T shaped building is in a location on the sports field near the long jump / triple jump / pole vault pits and I dont remember there being any building there at all, - just the back of a car repair place which was later a branch of Charlie Browns.

Wayneybabes lived in this area although he is younger but he may have more information about this building.

I am tempted to take a walk down there when I get the chance to see what is there now and if there is any evidence of the building which is clearly marked on the map.

I have a feeling that when I was there any building in this location would have been a store room for caretakers or sports equipments because of its proximity to both the sports field / gym and the caretakers house.

The "T" shaped building at the bottom of Cradock Rd was the Nursery, which I attended between the years 1947/48.

That's interesting tozzin, when I was in the nursery 10 years later (1958/59) the nursery was higher up Cradock Road on the long corridor from the infant quad up towards the secondary school with the school playground in front of it.

The T shaped building is in a location on the sports field near the long jump / triple jump / pole vault pits and I dont remember there being any building there at all, - just the back of a car repair place which was later a branch of Charlie Browns.

Wayneybabes lived in this area although he is younger but he may have more information about this building.

I am tempted to take a walk down there when I get the chance to see what is there now and if there is any evidence of the building which is clearly marked on the map.

I have a feeling that when I was there any building in this location would have been a store room for caretakers or sports equipments because of its proximity to both the sports field / gym and the caretakers house.

Circa 1954

The Nursery was definitely there, in summer we used to have nap outside. A garage was on the corner of City RD and Craddock Rd.

May have changed between 1954 and 1957 then as Steve's map is 1954 and we went either side of this date.

However, the building must still have been there after it was no longer used as a nursery as Steve's previous map link had both the new extension to the secondary school and the art room, both dating from the mid 60s, as well as Tozzin's nursery.

I should have pointed out it was a prefabricated building with what, now I think of it was a corrugated asbestos roof. Not a brick in sight.

Probably taken down and deep buried somewhere at extortionate cost by men in anti contamination clothing and breathing gear then, - if done recently, or more likely just taken down, piled up somewhere and burnt until it turned to a fine asbestos dust, - like they did with the prefabs, if done before the mid 70s.