Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Its the same with our family we only seem to get together at funerals the last one was for my cousin Kevin Parish he wasn't that old either. You will have to mention me to Kath and see if she can remember me.

OK will do, not sure what the P stands for in Alan P but if you were in her form / year she may remember you.

This picture shows the prefects in 1964. Kath is the blonde girl on the left hand side.

Are you in the picture?

Guest wayneybabes

Alan

Would you mind if i 'borrowed' this pic sometime for the norfolk comp facebook group?

Alan

Would you mind if i 'borrowed' this pic sometime for the norfolk comp facebook group?

Wayneybabes,

Do you mean the photo of the 1964 prefects in post # 1052?

If so Alan didn't post it, I did.

I have this low res scan of it from some years ago as my cousin is on it as a prefect in her final year (1964)

An identical copy of it is on the Norfolk School section of Friends Reunited but I don't know who posted it (not me) so I don't know who has the copyright on it, and in any case it appears to be a professionally taken school photograph and is over 25 years old. It should be OK to use it.

apologies, i didnt look right.

Cheers Dave!

It would make a nice post on the Facebook Norfolk Comp, - it would appeal to our older ex students perhaps, even though I am sure many younger ones will instantly recognise Lass Moore, Man Whitham and Man Thompson.

Woo Hoo...

Look who is BANNER MAN of the month on the Facebook site for his old school !!!!

Note that the picture on the Face Book site is in black & white for an older period look and to stay in keeping with the site style. It also contains additional text about me.
If you are an old Norfolk student and a member of Facebook I would recommend you take a look at the Norfolk comp page which is run by our member wayneybabes.
You can access it here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7032310727/

THE BANNER MAN (Blue Mink, 1971)
So we waved our hands as we marched along
and the people smiled as we sang our song
and the world was saved as they listened to the band.
and the Banner-Man held the banner high

he was ten feet tall and he touched the sky
and I wish that I could be a Banner-Man.

Glory
Glory
Glory

listen to the band.
Sing the same old story
ain't it something grand

To be good as you can
like a Banner-Man !

And the drums went Boom as the cornets play
and the tuba "umba''d" all the way
and the kids and the dogs were laughing as they ran.
And the Banner-Man held the banner high
with an Allelujah in his eye
and I wish that I could be a Banner-Man.

Glory
Glory
Glory...

So we reached the square on the top of the hill
and the music stopped and we stood still
and a few were saved and the people said
Amen

Then we all got up and we formed a queue
and the drums went BANG as the trumpets blew
and we marched back down into the town again.

Woo Hoo...

Look who is BANNER MAN of the month on the Facebook site for his old school !!!!

Why is most of your left ear missing ?

Why is most of your left ear missing ?

Didn't know it was, - if it was wouldn't my glasses drop off?

Anyway, my original 1971 recording of Blue Mink's Banner Man is in mono so if an ear was missing I wouldn't notice would I?

So how are my glasses supported then?

Obviously its photoshopped,

If Man Whitham had caught me on school premises drinking a glass of wine I would have got a right thrashing off of him.

Guest wayneybabes

If you are an old Norfolk student and a member of Facebook I would recommend you take a look at the Norfolk comp page which is CO-run by our member wayneybabes and group creator, Simon Scott-Caven

fixed it for you Dave..........dont want to steal Simon's thunder :rolleyes:

fixed it for you Dave..........dont want to steal Simon's thunder :rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction wayneybabes, - and my apologies to Simon for failing to mention him.

Guest Trefcon

Pig sick of Norfolk School, 27 pages long ! Please can we have another school to discuss ?

Guest wayneybabes

unbeknown to members of the facebook group, i have been working on a project for the last couple of weeks, trying to re-create the tower block on a game my kids play called minecraft. Its not an exact replica of the school as a lot of it is from memory but if you have the game installed you can 'wander' around the school to get a general feel of how the place used to be. attached are a few photos of how it looks so far

anyone who is a member on here and the facebook group, can you please not mention it on FB as when it is finished i will be linking to this page to try and drum up more members on SH

the squares on the ceiling on the bottom pic are supposed to be lights as there are no lighting options in the game other than these

Good work wayneybabes.

I am surprised you have chosen to start with the new tower block as your model and had to do it, as you say, "from memory"

The junior school would probably have been a simpler layout and of course we have your film of a "walking tour" around the inside of the building to remove a lot of the memory work.

Perhaps similar models could be made with other CAD software or even with the free downloadable Google Sketch Up.

The main obstacle is usually the time it takes to build up even simple structures.

Good work though, can't wait for you to finish the other part of the building, the 3 storey section, and of course when you get to the bridge (it would be great to have a "virtual walk across that". The main block would be a nightmare though, - an irregular hexagon with angular corners!

I have tried to show architectural modelling on here before a few years ago in the topic on the 1962 Sheffield Gale. I was describing the different types of post war prefab housing and had commented that I had lived in a Uni-Seco Mk, II prefab.

To better illustrate it I found a 3D model of one in the Google SketchUp "wharehouse" and posted a link to the model for those with Google SketchUp (it is free software) and screen image like Wayneybabes has done here, for those who don't

The link below is to the original posts in the gale topic about the 3D modelling The relevant posts are #72 to 77

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/496-the-great-sheffield-gale-1962/page-2

Guest wayneybabes

Good work wayneybabes.

I am surprised you have chosen to start with the new tower block as your model and had to do it, as you say, "from memory"

The junior school would probably have been a simpler layout and of course we have your film of a "walking tour" around the inside of the building to remove a lot of the memory work.

Perhaps similar models could be made with other CAD software or even with the free downloadable Google Sketch Up.

The main obstacle is usually the time it takes to build up even simple structures.

Good work though, can't wait for you to finish the other part of the building, the 3 storey section, and of course when you get to the bridge (it would be great to have a "virtual walk across that". The main block would be a nightmare though, - an irregular hexagon with angular corners!

I am thinking of doing the juniors and infants seperately. If i do them on their own then they wont lose thier shape, because as you know, they where square shaped (with the quad in the middle) with a long corridor (the junior school 'scary' corridor and the infants corridor leading up to the nursery). if i put them on the same model alongside the tower block they will be 'diagonal'

No matter how i do the main block of the seniors, it wont look right as it has 8 sides. the only sides that will go perfectly are the one that leads to the bridge and the short one at the junction of cradock and brimmesfield, the others will be 'diagonal'. Luckily, you will be able to do the virtual walk from the bridge though!.

Guest wayneybabes

I have tried to show architectural modelling on here before a few years ago in the topic on the 1962 Sheffield Gale. I was describing the different types of post war prefab housing and had commented that I had lived in a Uni-Seco Mk, II prefab.

To better illustrate it I found a 3D model of one in the Google SketchUp "wharehouse" and posted a link to the model for those with Google SketchUp (it is free software) and screen image like Wayneybabes has done here, for those who don't

The link below is to the original posts in the gale topic about the 3D modelling The relevant posts are #72 to 77

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/496-the-great-sheffield-gale-1962/page-2

as you say, its having the time to use google sketchup, i have been using minecraft for quickness as i have been designing this at work in my break times. When it is finished i will gladly share the file with anyone who sends me a request. will explain how to install the file as well

I am thinking of doing the juniors and infants seperately. If i do them on their own then they wont lose thier shape, because as you know, they where square shaped (with the quad in the middle) with a long corridor (the junior school 'scary' corridor and the infants corridor leading up to the nursery). if i put them on the same model alongside the tower block they will be 'diagonal'

No matter how i do the main block of the seniors, it wont look right as it has 8 sides. the only sides that will go perfectly are the one that leads to the bridge and the short one at the junction of cradock and brimmesfield, the others will be 'diagonal'. Luckily, you will be able to do the virtual walk from the bridge though!.

Did it have 8 sides or 6?

Complicated by the fact that the sides were not of equal length and so not all the corners had the same angles, in fact the corners at the big rooms where the corridor turned off both Cradock and Brimmesfield Roads to run along the top of the infant / junior school top yards were 90 degree square right angles as the corridors switched from parallel to the road to perpendicular to it. However, some of the internal angles were very obtuse, possibly 150 degrees or so, allowing angular rooms to built into these corners.

in either case it would be a nightmare to reconstruct in a model.

as you say, its having the time to use google sketchup, i have been using minecraft for quickness as i have been designing this at work in my break times. When it is finished i will gladly share the file with anyone who sends me a request. will explain how to install the file as well

I have never really been a "gamer" and never really use computers for playing games, so minecraft (which I think is a virtual reality game like the Sims) so it is new to me how its design system works.

heres a little night time update

attachicon.gifnorfolk6.JPG

Brilliant wayneybabes,

Got the full 3 storeys of the block now, you can even see the desks in Moggy Matthews old science lab on the ground floor.

Most importantly, at the second storey height is the opening that leads directly onto the bridge, - that virtual walk over the bridge now looks tantalisingly close.