Railway Stations

Stuart0742

Guest Killamarsh GC

Great Picture, Thanks for posting it

One of the name boards from the box hangs in one of the station offices on platform 2 at Sheffield.

Millhouses & Ecclesall

Closed 10/6/1968

Originall called Ecclesall

later Ecclesall & Millhouses, Mill Houses & Ecclesall and finally Millhouses and Ecclesall

Although Ordnance Survey called it Millhouses & Eccleshall

Then 1956

Now 2008

Not sure of the date of this photo, any suggestions

Guest bus man

Not sure of the date of this photo, any suggestions

Right here goes I would say 1900 ish :

No brick works

No sidings for Laycocks

The caption Millhouses Nr Sheffield - suspect it was still in derbyshire

I am sure that others on this forum are better qualified to tell you

PS Just nipped down the road to have another look and some fool's dumped a sainsburys there and theyve nicked millhouses shed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right here goes I would say 1900 ish :

No brick works

No sidings for Laycocks

The caption Millhouses Nr Sheffield - suspect it was still in derbyshire

I am sure that others on this forum are better qualified to tell you

PS Just nipped down the road to have another look and some fool's dumped a sainsburys there and theyve nicked millhouses shed :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What do mean, you will be telling me next Tesco's have built a store on part of the site of Millhouses Shed lol

Guest Killamarsh GC

Not be long before the shed buildings will be demolished, someone keeps taking more and more of the building in front of them down.

Guest stormy

Heres a picture of the southern end of the diveunder with the controlling box Queens Road.

Amazing how much its changed. Thanks for posting that pic

Guest Killamarsh GC

Dont know how true it is, but i was told that when the box closed after the new power box took over, Queens Road box was pushed into the diveunder and the whole lot filled in.

Guest Gramps

Here's a photo of Heeley Station from the family album, - mi grandad's the bloke in the shirt-sleeves holding his jacket lol

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v01357

I noticed on an old map that the original line to Chesterfield used a tunnel under the Farm Grounds; presumably this was opened out into a cutting to accommodate the additional track for the line to Hope valley and Chinley in the 1880s ?

Here's a photo of Heeley Station from the family album, - mi grandad's the bloke in the shirt-sleeves holding his jacket lol

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v01357

I noticed on an old map that the original line to Chesterfield used a tunnel under the Farm Grounds; presumably this was opened out into a cutting to accommodate the additional track for the line to Hope valley and Chinley in the 1880s ?

I know when the line was originally built there was oposition from the Duke of Norfolk's Estate, which the line passed closely, will have to read up on this

Guest Gramps

I know when the line was originally built there was oposition from the Duke of Norfolk's Estate, which the line passed closely, will have to read up on this

This is the map in question (by Baedecker) dated 1910 allegedly, but it must be based on an earlier map.

The Farm was built by the Duke of Norfolk as his Sheffield residence but I'm not sure when. I imagine he would be a bit miffed that the railway wanted to drive a cutting between the house and the lodge.

This is the map in question (by Baedecker) dated 1910 allegedly, but it must be based on an earlier map.

The Farm was built by the Duke of Norfolk as his Sheffield residence but I'm not sure when. I imagine he would be a bit miffed that the railway wanted to drive a cutting between the house and the lodge.

The line south of the Midland Station was quadrupled around 1900 - 02, I would imagine this would be when the tunnel was removed.

The 11th Duke of Norfolk had the Lord's House (Chaple Walk) pulled down in 1814 the Lord's agent moved his home & offices to the Farm and some rebuilding took place in 1824. Following the accession of the 14th Duke, Henry Granville in 1856 - the Farm wa\s converted into an occasional residence for the Duke and Beech Hill was built for the Agent in 1857. The railway arrived in 1870 and with this and the busy roads nearby the Duke abondoned the Farm and took over Beech Hill.

In 1898 the Farmwas leased by the LMS as offices and it was demolished in 1959.

Guest Killamarsh GC

The tunnels still in use today. If you fill up with petrol at the garage at the bottom of farm road you can see it from their car park. There are signals protecting the tunnel here as these are the last ones trains get before running down to the platforms so you'll probably see something waiting here at peak times.

The 11th Duke of Norfolk had the Lord's House (Chaple Walk) pulled down in 1814 the Lord's agent moved his home & offices to the Farm and some rebuilding took place in 1824. Following the accession of the 14th Duke, Henry Granville in 1856 - the Farm wa\s converted into an occasional residence for the Duke and Beech Hill was built for the Agent in 1857. The railway arrived in 1870 and with this and the busy roads nearby the Duke abondoned the Farm and took over Beech Hill.

I'd move!

Incorrect Dunsbyowl,

I don't know the exact year but the Farm wasn't demolished untill about 1969/70.

My aunty was a cleaner there at the time when B.R. used the building

and I use to play in the grounds.

;-)

Incorrect Dunsbyowl,

I don't know the exact year but the Farm wasn't demolished untill about 1969/70.

My aunty was a cleaner there at the time when B.R. used the building

and I use to play in the grounds.

;-)

I stand corrected although the book I was reading claimed that St Pauls school was built on the site in 1961/2 later All Saints. ? Is that the same place or are you a Time Lord? ;-)

I stand corrected although the book I was reading claimed that St Pauls school was built on the site in 1961/2 later All Saints. ? Is that the same place or are you a Time Lord? ;-)

All Saints is further up Granville Rd, Sheffield College is on this site now

Guest transit

The tunnels still in use today. If you fill up with petrol at the garage at the bottom of farm road you can see it from their car park. There are signals protecting the tunnel here as these are the last ones trains get before running down to the platforms so you'll probably see something waiting here at peak times.

.....not forgetting the Supertram alongside !!!

All Saints is further up Granville Rd, Sheffield College is on this site now

Was that the former Granville College Stuart?

Was that the former Granville College Stuart?

Yes

Granville College was originally across the road then they built an extension on the other side. It is all part of Sheffield college now, including a new building presently being built

The section of the line from East Bank Road to Shrewsbury Road had originally to be covered and an ornamental terrace made so as not to impair the view from the Farm, which despite its name was a fine residence. With thanks to - The Origins of the Sheffield and Chesterfield Railway. by John Dunstan.

There is a photograph in the 'Martin Olive' book 'Central Sheffield' (ISBN, 0 7524 0011 8)

here is a quote from the accompanying text.

" An unusual navvy's eye view of the Farm

during construction of the Queens Road flyunder for the Midland Railway, 1902.

In 1870, when the line first came, it hid itself from the Ducal gaze in a tunnel.

With proposed new works virtually sapping his foundations,

the Duke decided to lease the Farm to the railway.

It remained railway offices, known to the railwaymen as

the Kremlin, until demolished in 1967 ”

There is a photograph in the 'Martin Olive' book 'Central Sheffield' (ISBN, 0 7524 0011 8)

" An unusual navvy's eye view of the Farm

during construction of the Queens Road flyunder for the Midland Railway, 1902.

In 1870, when the line first came, it hid itself from the Ducal gaze in a tunnel.

With proposed new works virtually sapping his foundations,

the Duke decided to lease the Farm to the railway.

It remained railway offices, known to the railwaymen as

the Kremlin, until demolished in 1967 ”

I've got that so shouldn't have made the mistake Steve - that's a good story! ;-)

Guest Gramps

Ah...yes. Page 136 - I've been racking my poor old brain trying to remember where I had seen that.

Too many books ! :rolleyes:

Waterside Echo's post suggests the 'tunnel' may have been just a 'cut and cover' ??