Railway Stations

Stuart0742

In the movie made by the Sheffield Photo Company,

the train leavs Beauchief & Abbeydale station traveling from right to left in the last movie still.

"I have now lost my bearigs on this one"

This is said the next rail station on line, any ideas ?

Hmmm I suspect this is part of a heavily disguised training video produced by East Midland Trains on dealing with fare dodgers should the ticket barriers at Midland Station not be forthcoming!!!

Hmmm I suspect this is part of a heavily disguised training video produced by East Midland Trains on dealing with fare dodgers should the ticket barriers at Midland Station not be forthcoming!!!

he hehe hehe he !

Here is a view of Dore & Totley Station from Poynton Wood

I did not really cooment on this photo when I orginally posted it, it is dated around 1917.

The 1st thing that hits you especially if you know the area is the lack of trees and bushes.

Compare the view to a similar location taken today

You struggle these days to actually see the railway from this location. Although Network Rail have cleared a vast amount of lineside vegitation, especially around the station and the south chord and it junctions with the main lines.

An even earlier "Dore & Totley Station photo, early 20th century, need an exact date

Another pair of views of Dore & Totley Station

1937 and 2009

The clearance of lineside vegitation can be seen here

Guest janet and jerry

Dore & Totley Station

One of the few Sheffield stations to have remained open.

Then 15/9/1948 Class 5 45225

Now 16/12/2008 Cross Country Services from Penzance to Edinburgh

Guest janet and jerry

Sorry I have no photos but have many cherished memories of Dore and Totely in the 40's50's and 60's.

In those days I was a schoolboy living in Totley and from 1951 attended Dronfield Grammar School ( now the Henry Fanshaw school). We had two options in the morning I usually chose the 0817 semi fast Sheffield to Worcester usually hauled by a LMS 5MT mickey or one of the new BR Standards, with a Jubilee on very rare occasions - one of the porters, Jin Astley (Lived at Dronfield) could recite verbatum all stations the train called at. A Mr Carter a senior member of the railway always travelled 1st class to Derby. The stationmaster in the 50's was a Mr Riley, the two other porters were Messrs Fox ( Bill I believe) and Rachie Taylor ( both Totley men). The later train at approx 0840 was the all stations, cannot remember whether it was a Nottingham via the Erewash or a Derby it was generally a three coach affair hauled by a Midland 2P 4 - 4 -0, this train connected with the Chinley to Sheffield - i recall a fair few people made use of the change for stations to Chesterfield and beyond. The triangle south of the station was a mecca for train spotters on Summer Saturdays - fantastic days.

Sorry I have no photos but have many cherished memories of Dore and Totely in the 40's50's and 60's.

In those days I was a schoolboy living in Totley and from 1951 attended Dronfield Grammar School ( now the Henry Fanshaw school). We had two options in the morning I usually chose the 0817 semi fast Sheffield to Worcester usually hauled by a LMS 5MT mickey or one of the new BR Standards, with a Jubilee on very rare occasions - one of the porters, Jin Astley (Lived at Dronfield) could recite verbatum all stations the train called at. A Mr Carter a senior member of the railway always travelled 1st class to Derby. The stationmaster in the 50's was a Mr Riley, the two other porters were Messrs Fox ( Bill I believe) and Rachie Taylor ( both Totley men). The later train at approx 0840 was the all stations, cannot remember whether it was a Nottingham via the Erewash or a Derby it was generally a three coach affair hauled by a Midland 2P 4 - 4 -0, this train connected with the Chinley to Sheffield - i recall a fair few people made use of the change for stations to Chesterfield and beyond. The triangle south of the station was a mecca for train spotters on Summer Saturdays - fantastic days.

Hi Janet and Jerry

Your last point the triangle south of the station, I'm afraid you would be dissapointed with the amount of vegitation that had built up over recent years, at on point there was hardly any view of the railway. However following the tunnell work late last year quite a bit has been removed mainley around the south chord and the station. I will take some photo's and post on here.

My father moved to Totley as a boy in 1941 and I was born there in 1956. In 1962 we moved as a family to Dronfield, therefore would make the same journey as you did when we visited my grandparents who remained in Totley, though I was only 5/6 year old during these journeies and lack the detailed memories.

Nowadays I live in Bradway and often walk down over the triangle. Keep an eye on this topic as I have some old photo's of Dore & Totley station which I will try and post on here.

Does not look like Grindleford or any of the Hope Valley stations, nor does it look like the Midland line stations south of Sheffield (Millhouses etc).

Obviously the platforms were access direct from the road overbridge, could it be Oughtibridge or somewhere in that direction.

Its the embankment behind the platform I can not place.

I'm not sure Oughtibridge had buildings on the "up" platform or even a walkover for that matter, due to the near proximity of the stone bridge. There is an old path down from the stone bridge to the "up" platform and I feel the stone bridge was used to access the platform.

I definately remember sometimes as a kid, getting a train from Sheffield to Wadsley Bridge, but WB closed in 1959, however I think it was used during bus strikes and for football matches.

Now I regularly from Woodhouse to Darnall or to Sheffield.

Guest Gramps

I'm not sure Oughtibridge had buildings on the "up" platform or even a walkover for that matter, due to the near proximity of the stone bridge. There is an old path down from the stone bridge to the "up" platform and I feel the stone bridge was used to access the platform.

There does seem to have been a footbridge at the Stocksbridge end of Oughtibridge station

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/s14751.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/s14754.jpg

Guest stormy

These days just South of Midland station, there is a single line which leads to a train wash plant, a little more track then it ends abruptly at a tunnel entrance. Its clear the line used to continue, does anybody know what happened to it, where the line went?

Cheers

These days just South of Midland station, there is a single line which leads to a train wash plant, a little more track then it ends abruptly at a tunnel entrance. Its clear the line used to continue, does anybody know what happened to it, where the line went?

Cheers

Hi Stormy

Welcome to the site, you will find us a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

The track you refer to was a burrowing junction, this dates back to the days when the track was quadrupled south of the station.

It was built to enable the down fast line (from Chesterfield) to pass under the slow lines (Manchester) and enter the station on platform 1, avoiding having to pass across these lines and cause congestion.

The other end of this "Tunnel" was near the Charlotte Rd bridge (I think).

It fell out of use when the line was cut back to double track south of the station.

Guest stormy

Hi Stormy

Welcome to the site, you will find us a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

The track you refer to was a burrowing junction, this dates back to the days when the track was quadrupled south of the station.

It was built to enable the down fast line (from Chesterfield) to pass under the slow lines (Manchester) and enter the station on platform 1, avoiding having to pass across these lines and cause congestion.

The other end of this "Tunnel" was near the Charlotte Rd bridge (I think).

It fell out of use when the line was cut back to double track south of the station.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its a shame they didnt keep it open, sometimes the South of the Station can be quite a bottleneck these days.

I've been looking at some of the other threads, its amazing how much Railway there was in Sheffield, the tunnel under Spital Hill is fascinating. I work on the Railways and always wonder where old lines went when I see an old set of points or cutting, or a building set at an angle to the line where a shed used to be.

It will be interesting to see if there is somewhat of a renaissance in Sheffield (albeit on a much smaller scale) with the introduction of SIRFT where Tinsley Yard used to be, and the possibility of Hitachi building a production line here for the new IEP trains.

Thanks again

Guest bus man

Cheers

Is this where you mean :rolleyes:

If you look carefully at the red light on the buffer stop to the right of the unit you can see a old tunnel entrance

If you look carefully at the red light on the buffer stop to the right of the unit you can see a old tunnel entrance

It finished up at the goods yard on Queens Road. Later to become Arnold Lavers and now B&Q.

Guest Gramps

It finished up at the goods yard on Queens Road. Later to become Arnold Lavers and now B&Q.

Not sure which way bus man's camera was pointing - but here's a plan of the track layout (1905) at Duchess road bridge which may help.

Good shot of the Ball Inn, Heeley Bank School and my house.

I was looking over the rail bridge from Charlotte Road towards Duchess Road yesterday,

wish I had taken a photograph now :(

looking back towards Sheffield from Charlotte Rd

In view can be seen the present up line (the old Up fast) on the right and the Down Line (the old down Slow) extreme left. The line second from the left is now the down loop, this was the old up Slow line. (Thats the nerdy stuff over )

The gap in the middle is the site of the old burrowing junction, the down line would already be descending as it appeared under the Charlotte Rd Bridge. It would then cross the up & down slow lines, then on a rising gradient pass under Duchess Rd/Farm Rd Bridge, still at a lower level than the other tracks. It would then appear as in Busmans Photo.

Does anybody have any photos of this junction.

I was down there at 0830 Hrs this morning and it was freezing,

looks like a different day in your photo.

I was down there at 0830 Hrs this morning and it was freezing,

looks like a different day in your photo.

About 12:45 it was warm-ish, but then I had walked all the way from Queen st via the station.

Guest stormy

looking back towards Sheffield from Charlotte Rd

In view can be seen the present up line (the old Up fast) on the right and the Down Line (the old down Slow) extreme left. The line second from the left is now the down loop, this was the old up Slow line. (Thats the nerdy stuff over )

The gap in the middle is the site of the old burrowing junction, the down line would already be descending as it appeared under the Charlotte Rd Bridge. It would then cross the up & down slow lines, then on a rising gradient pass under Duchess Rd/Farm Rd Bridge, still at a lower level than the other tracks. It would then appear as in Busmans Photo.

Does anybody have any photos of this junction.

Cheers for the detailed reply, seems like it was a really clever idea, separating the lines like that.

I definately remember sometimes as a kid, getting a train from Sheffield to Wadsley Bridge, but WB closed in 1959, however I think it was used during bus strikes and for football matches.

Now I regularly from Woodhouse to Darnall or to Sheffield.

Definately not Oughtibridge or Oughty Bridge as the station used to be called way way back.

I'm sat just a few yards from the old Station masters house, it would be nice to hear those trains again.

We used to hear two sometimes three during the night going to Stocksbridge Works but not anymore.

I wish they would open Woodhead up again, I know there's a campaign going on for this and it would be

worthwhile.

Definately not Oughtibridge or Oughty Bridge as the station used to be called way way back.

I'm sat just a few yards from the old Station masters house, it would be nice to hear those trains again.

We used to hear two sometimes three during the night going to Stocksbridge Works but not anymore.

I wish they would open Woodhead up again, I know there's a campaign going on for this and it would be

worthwhile.

It was Beauchief Station

Guest Killamarsh GC

Heres a picture of the southern end of the diveunder with the controlling box Queens Road.

Heres a picture of the southern end of the diveunder with the controlling box Queens Road.

Great Picture, Thanks for posting it