Manor Road names

Guest scakbbn07

So if Brimmersfield isn't someones field I don't suppose Edenhall would be someones Hall <_<

I did say places as well as people, but I did say some of them were a bit obscure though! he he

Edenhall After the village of that name in Cumbria. An ancestor of the Duke , Thomas Howard of Corby Castle married Barbara Musgrave of Eden hall in 1720.

I did say places as well as people, but I did say some of them were a bit obscure though! he he

Edenhall After the village of that name in Cumbria. An ancestor of the Duke , Thomas Howard of Corby Castle married Barbara Musgrave of Eden hall in 1720.

I can see there is a lot of local history tied up in these names, - glad I asked now.

Here are the rest Dave

Cradock Road was built on land belonging to the Duke of Norfolk (who else!) . One of his relatives, Charlotte Frances Howard, in 1855 married Sir J.W. Cradock Hartopp. (Hartopp Avenue, Close, Drive and Road were also named after him.)

Errington Peter Harvey, whose book is the source of this information, couldn’t come up with a definite answer that was any connection with the Duke, except that it’s the name of a prominent Catholic family, like the Duke’s.

Cawdor Another family link. In 1876, one of the D of N’s relatives, Sir Edward Stafford Howard of Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire, married Lady Rachel Campbell, daughter of the 2nd Earl of Cawdor.

Atherston Do You mean Atherton? If so, one of the Duke’s ancestors, Thomas Howard, a colonel in the Royal Army, was killed at Atherton Moor.

Aylward Another relative by marriage. Henry Charles Howard of Greystoke, Nothumberland, grandson of the earl of Arundel, married Mary Aylward in 1730.

Berners They must have been getting desperate by the time they got to this one. Catherine, daughter of the 1st Duke married John Bouchier, Lord Berners, in the 15th Century!

Dagnam (spelt as given so not Dagenham as a town down south) The Duke’s ancestor Henry Howard of Corby Castle, Cumberland, married Catherine Mary, daughter of Sir Richard Neave of Dagnam Park in Essex.

Framlingham After the market town of that name in Suffolk. One of the Duke’s ancestors Roger Bigod 3rd Earl of Norfolk, built a castle there which was in the family for 300 years.

Villiers (nothing to do with motorcycle engines) In 1650, Barbara Villiers married James 3rd Earl of Suffolk and 3rd Baron Howard de Walden (a branch of the D of N’s family)

and finally, my favourite, Algar After Sir Algar Henry Stafford Howard of Thornbury castle, Gloucestershire, nephew of the 12th Duke.

Someone, either on the Council or the Duke's staff must have had a wonderful time researching that lot!

Here are the rest Dave

Cradock Road was built on land belonging to the Duke of Norfolk (who else!) . One of his relatives, Charlotte Frances Howard, in 1855 married Sir J.W. Cradock Hartopp. (Hartopp Avenue, Close, Drive and Road were also named after him.)

Errington Peter Harvey, whose book is the source of this information, couldn’t come up with a definite answer that was any connection with the Duke, except that it’s the name of a prominent Catholic family, like the Duke’s.

Cawdor Another family link. In 1876, one of the D of N’s relatives, Sir Edward Stafford Howard of Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire, married Lady Rachel Campbell, daughter of the 2nd Earl of Cawdor.

Atherston Do You mean Atherton? If so, one of the Duke’s ancestors, Thomas Howard, a colonel in the Royal Army, was killed at Atherton Moor.

Aylward Another relative by marriage. Henry Charles Howard of Greystoke, Nothumberland, grandson of the earl of Arundel, married Mary Aylward in 1730.

Berners They must have been getting desperate by the time they got to this one. Catherine, daughter of the 1st Duke married John Bouchier, Lord Berners, in the 15th Century!

Dagnam (spelt as given so not Dagenham as a town down south) The Duke’s ancestor Henry Howard of Corby Castle, Cumberland, married Catherine Mary, daughter of Sir Richard Neave of Dagnam Park in Essex.

Framlingham After the market town of that name in Suffolk. One of the Duke’s ancestors Roger Bigod 3rd Earl of Norfolk, built a castle there which was in the family for 300 years.

Villiers (nothing to do with motorcycle engines) In 1650, Barbara Villiers married James 3rd Earl of Suffolk and 3rd Baron Howard de Walden (a branch of the D of N’s family)

and finally, my favourite, Algar After Sir Algar Henry Stafford Howard of Thornbury castle, Gloucestershire, nephew of the 12th Duke.

Someone, either on the Council or the Duke's staff must have had a wonderful time researchinmg that lot!

Thanks again for that Bayleaf, I have lived amongst these street names for years and never knew where any of them (except Eastern and Northern Avenues) had originated.

As I said the spelling of the names does vary even on local road signs (so the council signwriters hadn't done there research as well as they should) and the Atherton / Atherstone / Atherston may be a point in question or it make just be down to my pronunciation of the word and spelling it phonetically.

So, as you have mentioned earlier in this topic Peter Harvey has produced an excellent book on the origin of local street names.

Has anyone produced a decent yet readable book on the history of the Dukes of Norfolk families. I am sure all of the characters immortalised in Arbourthorne street names have interesting historical stories behind them.