Manor Road names

Guest scakbbn07

--- and then build another of these on it. lol

This ones in the center of Basegreen.

(Needs to go in the closed pubs section)

Are you sure it has closed?

If so it must have been very recent.

It was open when I took my photo of it, - click the link "Centre Spot" in my previous post and it will take you to my original posting with the picture and give a date.

Only took it about 3 or 4 weeks ago!

Are you sure it has closed?

If so it must have been very recent.

It was open when I took my photo of it, - click the link "Centre Spot" in my previous post and it will take you to my original posting with the picture and give a date.

Only took it about 3 or 4 weeks ago!

I think we're both clicking at the same time Dave. lol

No sir. I only saw the To Let sign on Google Streetview and made the wrong assumption.

I think we're both clicking at the same time Dave. lol

No sir. I only saw the To Let sign on Google Streetview and made the wrong assumption.

That makes it look closed but it has been To Let for a long time now, - with no takers.

I have not rejoined Sheffield Steam Club this year so I am a little out of touch but there was a threat of closure about 2 years ago (just after the smoking ban). The club uses one of their rooms once a month for its meetings and also once a month on another evening for its committee meeting. At the time only about 6 "regulars" went in every night in the tap room to drink and there was 1 or 2 staff on. As the pub has a larger snug room and an even larger concert room it seems economically not viable to keep it open. When we went in, with a committee of 12 or a social meeting of 25+ it must have been a big night. There was also a line dancing group that used the concert room once a week.

Before I resigned the committtee in 2008 we asked the current "manager" if it was going to close as we were concerned about having a continuing venue for the meetings. We were told that the owners were looking to sell or let and had been for a while but that the pub would remain open for the forseeable future.

The last contact I had with the steam club was in April 2009 when my subscriptions to the new steam club PLC became due and which I didn't subscribe to. They were still having their meetings at the Centre Spot then, and it doesn't seem to have changed much since.

In my opinion I don't know how the place can pay its overheads on the number of customers it gets in, - it must be making a loss and eventually I feel that it must close its doors for good. It will be one of those pubs that slowly fades away rather than is open one day shut the next.

So eventually vox, I think we may be having to add it to the closed pubs list.

By the way, its concert room was very popular as a R&R venue in the 1950's and did concets in the 1960's, - did you ever play there?

So eventually vox, I think we may be having to add it to the closed pubs list.

By the way, its concert room was very popular as a R&R venue in the 1950's and did concets in the 1960's, - did you ever play there?

Don't think I ever did Dave. Come to think of it I don't think I've even been in it.

Off to get the van loaded up now. We're playing tonight.

Due to its location in the "bulls eye" of all those circular roads which make up the upper manor area it is also "fairly" close to just about anywhere on this estate.

To take your joke a bit further, why just call the street "Fairleigh", they could have called it "Fairleigh Close" lol

Fairleigh is a "fairleigh" strange road. lol

It consists of 2 roundabouts with a short stretch of road between them. Both the road and the roundabouts carry the same name.

The road itself is 2 dual carriageway stretches seperated by a central island which forms a small park area with a path through it.

Each dual carriageway stretch is one way as would be expected.

The upper roundabout is joined by Windyhouse Lane and Wulfric Road, both previously mentioned as well as being the site of the now restored and rebuilt St. Swithens church. There are a few shops around this roundabout like this sandwich shop, "Fairleigh Sandwiches"

Depending upon who has made them and what with they could be called "Hardleigh sandwiches" lol , or if they sold other stuff as well like soft drinks they could be called "Mainleigh sandwiches" he he

The lower roundabout straddles Prince of Wales Road, but the half of it on the other side of Prince, along with all the other streets there, has been demolished and what is left of the roads has been blocked off.

This lower roundabout is joined by Cullabine Road, now there's another unusual Manor road name, -

Cullabine

Not "colourblind", meaning an inability to see the world in full glorious technicolour

and not "calomine", an ointment made of oxide and carbonate of zinc to treat itchy rashes, - as in the song "poison ivy"

I wonder what "Cullabine means?

Another one for Bayleaf to look up in "the Oracle's" book perhaps

Due to its location in the "bulls eye" of all those circular roads which make up the upper manor area it is also "fairly" close to just about anywhere on this estate.

To take your joke a bit further, why just call the street "Fairleigh", they could have called it "Fairleigh Close" lol

The Manor estate actually has 2 centres.

One of them, at Manor Top, is Fairleigh at the centre of that circular set of roads

The other is lower down on the Manor Park which has its own centre.

Called, naturally enough, Manor Park Centre

Most of the shops in the centre seem to be shuttered up most of the time these days

Still has an open boozer though, the Merrie Monk, a highly rated pub in its heyday.

As for the pictures I have taken to illustrate the "Manor Road Names" thread

Stuart0742 considers that I have been on a very dangerous mission (walking the Manor with a camera) to get these and that I have put my life in danger in order to collect pictures just to illustrate this thread.

I think I am up for some sort of bravery award for duty to SheffieldHistory lol

Stuart0742 considers that I have been on a very dangerous mission (walking the Manor with a camera) to get these and that I have put my life in danger in order to collect pictures just to illustrate this thread.

Maybe you should get the Manertheyear award. :)

"That's something you can't say properly if you're not from round here."

Maybe you should get the Manertheyear award. :)

"That's something you can't say properly if you're not from round here."

OK, its the manertheyear award then lolhe he he he he he he he he he

I took this photo of Dave setting off on a photo-shoot this morning.

Why am I wearing an American flag?

I think something a bit more "Sheffield" on my uniform would be better.

In several other topics I have posted some fairly low quality pictures which were taken with a subminiature Minox camera which fans of James Bond would recognise as the classic "spy" camera and which was actually used in undercover photographic espionage missions.

Now you know why I use such a camera!!!

Why am I wearing an American flag?

I think something a bit more "Sheffield" on my uniform would be better.

Don't ask me mate, it was you who dressed yourself this morning. (I assume) :)

The camera doesn't lie. (Or so they say)

I have really enjoyed reading this thread..its made me laugh! lol

Congratulations on the Manertheyear award Dave ;-)

I have also come to the conclusion that you lot are "fairleigh" mad :rolleyes:

Lozz :blink: he he

I have really enjoyed reading this thread..its made me laugh! lol

Congratulations on the Manertheyear award Dave ;-)

I have also come to the conclusion that you lot are "fairleigh" mad :rolleyes:

Lozz :blink:he he

Me and Stuart have been mates for over 40 years and when we get together (and that could mean just us doing a set of off the wall continuing conversation posts on Sheffield History) our "madness" / humour / sense of fun always seems to come through.

As it is our style of humour, some people don't understand us and just think we are looney, some can't stand it and really dislike it but some (like yourself) get a bit of enjoyment out of it which makes it worthwhile.

We don't like spoiling other peoples posts or going off topic too far, but if we can brighten it up, make people smile and get a bit of interest in the topics to get people responding then we do.

Clearly some members do appreciate this with the replies some of our outbursts get which are in the same style, - vox seems to have our sense of humour and has made this particular topic more entertaining by joining in the general fun, but in other topics vox, ukelele lady, SteveHB and others have all helped brighten the posts up with a bit of a laugh.

Me and Stuart have been mates for over 40 years and when we get together (and that could mean just us doing a set of off the wall continuing conversation posts on Sheffield History) our "madness" / humour / sense of fun always seems to come through.

As it is our style of humour, some people don't understand us and just think we are looney, some can't stand it and really dislike it but some (like yourself) get a bit of enjoyment out of it which makes it worthwhile.

We don't like spoiling other peoples posts or going off topic too far, but if we can brighten it up, make people smile and get a bit of interest in the topics to get people responding then we do.

Clearly some members do appreciate this with the replies some of our outbursts get which are in the same style, - vox seems to have our sense of humour and has made this particular topic more entertaining by joining in the general fun, but in other topics vox, ukelele lady, SteveHB and others have all helped brighten the posts up with a bit of a laugh.

If there were more people around like you two and others with a sense of humour, and yes, a touch of madness this country would be a far happier place to live in. No one has a laugh anymore. Way back in the 1960s there was a tool shop in Waingate, Hindleys I think it was. It was run by a couple of guys like you two, no matter what you went in for they would make a joke out of it. I remember once going in and asking for a vice, and as soon as the words had left my mouth I knew I had let myself in for it. `Yes sir`what would you like ? wine, woman, song, the list was endless, and every time I went in after that it would be, and how far have you got down that list young man ? They were very happy days indeed. So please keep up the good work. W/E.

If there were more people around like you two and others with a sense of humour, and yes, a touch of madness this country would be a far happier place to live in. No one has a laugh anymore. Way back in the 1960s there was a tool shop in Waingate, Hindleys I think it was. It was run by a couple of guys like you two, no matter what you went in for they would make a joke out of it. I remember once going in and asking for a vice, and as soon as the words had left my mouth I knew I had let myself in for it. `Yes sir`what would you like ? wine, woman, song, the list was endless, and every time I went in after that it would be, and how far have you got down that list young man ? They were very happy days indeed. So please keep up the good work. W/E.

We've always been like this,

In part it is a defence mechanism, because we can do a "double act" where we sort of read each other and feed each other the ammunition to carry on like many comedy double acts do, but also we can deliberately mislead people , or at least make them wonder what the hell we are going to come out with next by making wild lateral steps in our interlinked logic.

But the real secret is, - don't just laugh and make fun of everyone else. You've got to be able to laugh at yourself, to direct the humour inwards, and if you read some of our posts, we are really making fun of ourselves. This has always been something we can do without ever falling out and of course it doesn't offend anyone else. How many so called professional "comedians" can do that? And how many that can do it without shouting their heads off or swearing all the time? Not many!

Just keep up the banter....even if it deviates from a thread...slightly lol

It can cheer many a peeps up lollol

It certainly brightened my day

Just keep up the banter....even if it deviates from a thread...slightly lol

It can cheer many a peeps up lollol

It certainly brightened my day

Well just across the road (City Road) from the Manor is my own home area of Arbourthorne (now there's a name, - what does that mean?

The Arbourthorne has some fairly unusual street names as well, - often with different spellings on different street signs on the same street.

Any guesses on what the following names mean or where they come from

Cradock (with a single d)

Brimmesfield (sometimes with an r in the middle and a variable number of m's)

Errington

Cawdor

Atherston (sometimes with an e)

Aylward

Edenhall

Berners

Dagnam (spelt as given so not Dagenham as a town down south)

Framlingham

Villiers (nothing to do with motorcycle engines)

and finally, my favourite, Algar

2 reasons for this, -

1, I used to live on Algar Place in the original asbestos prefabs and

2, I have an old ancestor, born illegitimately and died within his first year of life whose first names were Archie Algar. It turns out after a bit of geneological research that his errant father was called George Algar.

Anyone got any ideas where any of these names came from?

Me and Stuart have been mates for over 40 years and when we get together ...

It shows, I appreciate it all; I've been having a difficult time recently, but I appreciate a bunch of mates having a laugh on here. It shows in your postings.

To begin at the beginning, as they say,

The description of Sheffield Park in Harrison's survey of 1637 includes a place called Arbor Thorn Hurst. This is a reconstuction of the survey

As for the rest, they're all connected with the Duke of Norfolk, whose land they're built on, though some of them are a bit obscure!

For example the Algar connection is named after Sir Algar Henry Stafford Howard of Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire, nephew of the 12th Duke.

Anyone else like to chip in with the others?

It shows, I appreciate it all; I've been having a difficult time recently, but I appreciate a bunch of mates having a laugh on here. It shows in your postings.

We are both quite humourous as individuals but put us togethher and we are a cracking double act.

With that humour finely tuned for over 40 years together (that's longer than Laurel & Hardy, longer than the 2 Ronnies and about the same as Morecambe & Wise) we can compliment each other at any occasion.

We were each others best man at our weddings and although our wives can deal with either of us individually they can find the 2 of us together very frustrating when we start one of our "acts". Wife baiting seems to be our special self indulgance.

We have kidded Stuarts wife on that "I'm an idiot get me out of here" isn't filmed in Australia its done in Shepperton Studios just behind the Blue Peter gardens in the next lot to the one where they filmed the Apollo space missions in the 1960's lolhe he

We have kidded my wife on that the best way to cut a fruit cake is in half lengthwise so that you get a bigger piece. he helol

I'm sure one of these days we're going to get a thumping for it. :o

To begin at the beginning, as they say,

The description of Sheffield Park in Harrison's survey of 1637 includes a place called Arbor Thorn Hurst. This is a reconstuction of the survey

As for the rest, they're all connected with the Duke of Norfolk, whose land they're built on, though some of them are a bit obscure!

For example the Algar connection is named after Sir Algar Henry Stafford Howard of Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire, nephew of the 12th Duke.

Anyone else like to chip in with the others?

As the area was open land I would assume that Brimmersfield was actually a field belonging to someone called Brimmer.

All the names have a connection with people or places associated with the Duke of Norfolk's family.

In this case, Brimmesfield was one of the old titles held by the Duke of Norfolk’s family ( the barony of Giffard of Brimmesfield which fell into disuse in 1777)

All the names have a connection with people or places associated with the Duke of Norfolk's family.

In this case, Brimmesfield was one of the old titles held by the Duke of Norfolk’s family ( the barony of Giffard of Brimmesfield which fell into disuse in 1777)

So if Brimmersfield isn't someones field I don't suppose Edenhall would be someones Hall <_<