If You Bank Online With Halifax?

SteveHB

This is a very good scam,

in fact it's the best I have come across.

the email link leads you to a very convincing log in page,

and the follow up links do work,

Don't fall for it!

This is a very good scam,

in fact it's the best I have come across.

the email link leads you to a very convincing log in page,

and the follow up links do work,

Don't fall for it!

Hope you didn't fall for it Steve, - sounds like you were a bit too wise for them.

I have come across this sort of thing before supposedly from banks other than the Halifax, - HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest etc.

It's a dead give away if you get one from a bank you don't bank with but a bit trickier if it is supposedly from your own bank.

All banks are well aware of this phishing scam and how sophisticated and convincing it has become recently, as demonstrated by SteveHB's post. All offer similar advice that they will only contact you as a customer in certain recognised ways and a web page form asking for personal information is not one of them so don't fall for it. Most banks would be more than interested to know of such scams so that their security and fraud departments can deal with it. I am sure the Halifax would like to hear about this one, - if they don't already.

Hope you didn't fall for it Steve, - sounds like you were a bit too wise for them.

I have come across this sort of thing before supposedly from banks other than the Halifax, - HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest etc.

It's a dead give away if you get one from a bank you don't bank with but a bit trickier if it is supposedly from your own bank.

All banks are well aware of this phishing scam and how sophisticated and convincing it has become recently, as demonstrated by SteveHB's post. All offer similar advice that they will only contact you as a customer in certain recognised ways and a web page form asking for personal information is not one of them so don't fall for it. Most banks would be more than interested to know of such scams so that their security and fraud departments can deal with it. I am sure the Halifax would like to hear about this one, - if they don't already.

Excpet for the obvious, that is banks don't do this any more as they are all aware of phishing, the other thing is they have called themselves Halifax plc, not HBOS plc. But like Steve say's very convincing for some people.

Excpet for the obvious, that is banks don't do this any more as they are all aware of phishing, the other thing is they have called themselves Halifax plc, not HBOS plc. But like Steve say's very convincing for some people.

I never EVER open e-mails from my bank.....I don't even look at them......they go straight to the bin.

If the bank are that eager to contact me they will send a letter.

Also I hate it when you are going about your daily business at home and the phone rings......from your bank, and they then ask questions to verify who they are speaking to :rolleyes: I always refuse verify....why should I give them my information....I tell them why and say that if they are phoning concerning my actual account, rather than to sell other services offered by them, then write to me.

Guest lynn.55

Im thinking of banking on online but hearing things like this puts me off. Is it safe, can someone convince me thats its best thing they have ever done.

Im thinking of banking on online but hearing things like this puts me off. Is it safe, can someone convince me thats its best thing they have ever done.

I have banked online for years, it beats standing in queues at the bank.

If you use common sense its safe and secure, if you work on the principle that the bank will not email and ask for account info etc you will be alright.

Have a look on your banks website they will have a demo to try, or try somebody like Which see what they say.

I have banked online for years, it beats standing in queues at the bank.

If you use common sense its safe and secure, if you work on the principle that the bank will not email and ask for account info etc you will be alright.

Have a look on your banks website they will have a demo to try, or try somebody like Which see what they say.

Likewise,

I have banked on line for years and have never had a problem with it. The transactions are thoroughly encrypted and very secure so it is safe to use provided you don't reveal your passwords to anyone or fall for any scams like the one illustrated above. Your bank will make it clear how they will contact you and what verification of identity they will use for security which if you stick to will make becoming a victim of this type of scam very unlikely.

Also, as Stuart says, it is very convenient.

You have access to a banking service 24 / 7, including the many "Bank Holidays" that bankers reward themselves with as well as the bonuses they get for squandering billions. You don't have to go in a branch, try to use a machine that is deliberately programmed to say "please wait" and keep you stood there for ages so that you feel as though you are being served by one of their cashiers. You don't have to put up with the comments of sarcastic bankers who treat YOUR money as though it is THEIRS, you don't have to put up with pushy financial advisers who are out to take even more money off you, you don't even have to type your PIN into an ATM while some nosey pratt who is impatiently next in the queue is trying to look over your shoulder.

Having said that, the advantages of Internet banking speak for themselves, and the risk is so minimal it is well worth taking.

Guest lynn.55

Thanks to both of you, my confidence is growing. Going off the subject a little, does anybody buy items on line and is that safe. I have been tempted to but bottled out at the last minute. Things like this is all new to me and get quite nervous.

Thanks to both of you, my confidence is growing. Going off the subject a little, does anybody buy items on line and is that safe. I have been tempted to but bottled out at the last minute. Things like this is all new to me and get quite nervous.

Again this very secure, all the mainstream websites offer a secure encrypted service. Smaller websites tend to use a commercial payment service such as "World Pay" etc.

The thing to watch for is only give your card details over a secure link, you will see the little padlock at the bottom of your screen.

Both visa and mastercard themselves offer a security check service for merchants, where you have to enter a password you set up with your card provider, this is added security.

Also your bank will probaly offer protection against online fraud.

I once had a phone call from my credit card company (Goldfish - now Barclaycard Goldfish) to say my card had been used to place a bet 15 minutes ago and was it me!. As it wasn't they then cancelled the transaction and the card and started a replacement. I was without a card for 10 days but was quite happy they had identified a rougue use so quickly and put a stop to it. There are numerous ways credit card details can be scammed - most are not online either, beware rougue waiters/waitresses etc....

I have banked and bought online for years without any problems whatsoever!

I signed up my OH for online banking...not a prob....made 2 purchases online with that card..nno problem

convinced my brother that it was totally safe.....as long as you dont believe the emails etc etc etc

and all the advice you have given above....I uphold...and passed on to my brother

2 days later a phone call from my OH bank.......someone had scammed the card :angry:

The bank cancelled our card and re issued with a new pin number....and the card number was attempted again 2 months later....same thing....trying to buy train tickets on the net :unsure::angry: but as we had been issued with a new card the transaction was refused......

Fortunately we didn't lose any money.....but since then we don't buy on that card....we use mine!

Ohh and we don't do online banking on that account either!

Again I have had no problems at all so far with buying stuff onloine.

Admittedly I have stuck to well known retailers and their concessioniary companies and not from individuals or in auctions like eBay, but with a bit of common sense even these transactions should be no less secure and risky than a purchase made in a more traditional way.