Sheffield History needs 'YOU'

SteveHB

Having done a quick search using the sites MEMBERS / ALL MEMBERS / JOIN DATE / DESCENDING then including those still being validated 23 members will have joined today compared with between 4 and 6 in recent days.

A good measure of the success of being given a write up in The Star perhaps?

Repeated the search 24 hours later Tuesday evening 24 Feb. Another 24 members have joined us, possibly from the exposure in The Star, possibly readers of the City Late edition which is why they didn't join yesterday. lol

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

For a start, why not one of the Admin lads e-mail Martin Dawes at The Star and say "We have now been going -- years, and we would be grateful for any publicity you could give us, for we feel we are giving a good service for free and many people are enjoying it. Can you suggest ways in which we at Sheffield History could help you, and so generate a bit of publicty to attract new members? We'd be interested to know whether you ever take time off to look on the site in the hope of spotting an item that might make you a piece! Anyway, if you need to know any more ring ---- at ----- or e-mail --- at ---."

How's that sound? I think you'll get a response.

Martin can be reached, I believe, at martin.dawes@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk --try it.

The alternative is to contact Alan Powell the editor.

For personal reasons, I don't want to get involved --it is best coming from one of you admin lads.

Glad this all worked out. Well done.

Glad this all worked out. Well done.

Thank you Old Canny Street Kid, it was your initial idea and it has paid off well with increased numbers of members.

Although several people have, quite rightly, thanked Stuart0742 for his part in this I think I am the only one so far to include you in the credits.

Brilliant idea, Well done to you for coming up with it.

Thank you Old Canny Street Kid, it was your initial idea and it has paid off well with increased numbers of members.

Although several people have, quite rightly, thanked Stuart0742 for his part in this I think I am the only one so far to include you in the credits.

True, I second that. Thanks due all round!

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Can I just say that I keep plugging Sheffield History and urging people to look at the site because there are items that will interest them, and, sadly, many of them come back to me and say "I tried, but they wouldn't let me in". I tell them to keep trying, but it is obvious that many simply give up. I think Sheffield History is missing out on a lot of potential members. Why do you think people keep saying "they won't let me in"?

Can I just say that I keep plugging Sheffield History and urging people to look at the site because there are items that will interest them, and, sadly, many of them come back to me and say "I tried, but they wouldn't let me in". I tell them to keep trying, but it is obvious that many simply give up. I think Sheffield History is missing out on a lot of potential members. Why do you think people keep saying "they won't let me in"?

Admin is aware of the issue, hopefully things should improve

Guest SheffBlade

I had a small problem with my password as it booted me out but it looks to be all sorted now. I've 'bumped' a thread on another website (forum) promoting here too. I have loads of photographs though sadly most are recent (last 4 years or so) but hope to add more of those and discussion to the site.

Guest SheffBlade

Hi, not sure where to post this or which admin to direct it to as I've only recently returned to this site but am loving it and so inturn 'promoting' it where I can. Sadly one problem is registering and seemingly retrieving passwords etc.

My OH tried numerous times to register last night and couldn't. No matter how many times he entrered the verification code it failed time and again

Tried again tonight and again the same. In the end it seemed you have to repeatedly click 'delete cookies for this board' at every single step. I had the same to retrieve my password and change it

Seems this will put a lot off trying to get in and wondered if there's anything that can be done/altered as it seems to be a real put off :(