Sheffield History needs 'YOU'

SteveHB

The Godfrey maps project is going to be another one of our crown jewels when it is complete and it will be unique to this site. A great monumental piece of work and many thanks to Bayleaf, Gramps and other contributors to it.

Unfortunately to be able to use it, and possibly due to copyright reasons again, it does require you to have access to a set of these maps. I have some but not all of them. They are only about £3 a map but I have no idea how many there are in the full set. Further, the availability of these maps in bookshops is a little unpredictable. Can we have some advice on the maps themselves as well as the index?

Waterstones always seem to have a good selection

Waterstones always seem to have a good selection

Yes I got some of them from Waterstones but my comments about availability being unpredictable were said with shops like Waterstones and WH Smiths in mind. They do have a good selection but never seem to have the one you particularly looking for at the time.

I suppose that's just my luck.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

As you said previously Old Canny Street Kid, this is really a job for those that actually run the site so a response needs to come from RichardB / ADMIN / SteveHB / Tsavo or someone else on the Adminstrators team.

I think this one also needs an administrator who actually lives in Sheffield that get down to the Star and to Radio Sheffield etc. to discuss it with these people.

For a start, why not one of the Admin lads e-mail Martin Dawes at The Star and say "We have now been going -- years, and we would be grateful for any publicity you could give us, for we feel we are giving a good service for free and many people are enjoying it. Can you suggest ways in which we at Sheffield History could help you, and so generate a bit of publicty to attract new members? We'd be interested to know whether you ever take time off to look on the site in the hope of spotting an item that might make you a piece! Anyway, if you need to know any more ring ---- at ----- or e-mail --- at ---."

How's that sound? I think you'll get a response.

Martin can be reached, I believe, at martin.dawes@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk --try it.

The alternative is to contact Alan Powell the editor.

For personal reasons, I don't want to get involved --it is best coming from one of you admin lads.

Thanks for that reply Gramps, very useful information and just what I seemed to be missing about these excellent little maps,

Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet Book and Coffee shop has a good selection of books and maps on local history, best time at the moment to visit is 11am to 3pm Sundays or 10am to 1.0pm Tuesdays.

Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet Book and Coffee shop has a good selection of books and maps on local history, best time at the moment to visit is 11am to 3pm Sundays or 10am to 1.0pm Tuesdays.

It will have to be Sunday 11am to 3pm then, as I only ever seem to go down there at weekends when they have a "special event" that involves some of my friends from Sheffield Steam Club taking their steam engines down there.

For a start, why not one of the Admin lads e-mail Martin Dawes at The Star and say "We have now been going -- years, and we would be grateful for any publicity you could give us, for we feel we are giving a good service for free and many people are enjoying it. Can you suggest ways in which we at Sheffield History could help you, and so generate a bit of publicty to attract new members? We'd be interested to know whether you ever take time off to look on the site in the hope of spotting an item that might make you a piece! Anyway, if you need to know any more ring ---- at ----- or e-mail --- at ---."

How's that sound? I think you'll get a response.

Martin can be reached, I believe, at martin.dawes@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk --try it.

The alternative is to contact Alan Powell the editor.

For personal reasons, I don't want to get involved --it is best coming from one of you admin lads.

Any developments on this?

I will contact Sheffield Newspapers, PM me any comments for inclusion,

The Mia Amigo post from a relative of the crew would be a good place to start. Proving not only does the City remember, but so do those US families who lost relatives. The pubs list is also unique, in both scope and detail.

If you prefer send contributions to SheffieldHistory@Gmail.com

Text/Word documents

Spreadsheets of Sheffield related data

Databases

Scans

if you wish your contribution to remain anonymous - just say.

if you're unsure how, please ask or ask someone two generations below you :rolleyes:

I've got my Fathers school reports from 1928 on this site, anything you can provide will be appreciated. A bus ticket from 2004 might not cut the mustard but surely everyone has pictures of family/friends, former homes, holidays, parties, birthdays/weddings, buildings that are no longer standing/old products/advertising, memories of School/College/University, War-time memories etc etc etc. We're happy to receive them all, we like a quiz and may just be able to contribute.

We have sections on Clubs, Theatres, Cinemas - we're desperate for details of Working Men's Clubs, we have Churches, a section on Sheffield' War Memorials (you might struggle to add to that, but, do you have pictures or memories of those to whom we owe so much.

The Pubs section is a work in progress, pictures still being added - do you have more ?

Maps from the 50's is a popular section - do you have any ? Can you add to our knowledge of what the Maps (325-ish) show, memories of long-gone buildings ? (There may be a few more Maps to come soon - Copyright and all that, we have permission from OS - it's just a case of motivation on my part - which is where everyone posting comes into play ...)

Currently Admin, Tsavo and me can open this email account; this will be opened up to other Admins, all will respect your privacy if you wish it; if you want credit for your input - just say.

Come on, we have lots of Members, just not enough that post. Let's get moving.

Update

I spoke to Martin Dawes this morning, discussed the site, watch this space

In case you haven't seen it, The Star had a piece in Les Payne's column on Friday which mentioned Sheffield History --ref Dunsbyowl! See sport esp Sheff Wed.

In case you haven't seen it, The Star had a piece in Les Payne's column on Friday which mentioned Sheffield History --ref Dunsbyowl! See sport esp Sheff Wed.

Good publicity in The Star today (Mon) --in The Diary by Martin Dawes.

Nice one Stuart, great piece of publicity, remind me I owe you a pint for that when I come up on Wednesday night.

Nice one Stuart, great piece of publicity, remind me I owe you a pint for that when I come up on Wednesday night.

Is that one more pint than normal!

Is that one more pint than normal!

OK if you want, because the week after when you come up here it should be free beer for both of us after our recent "win"

OK if you want, because the week after when you come up here it should be free beer for both of us after our recent "win"

Don't mention free they will all turn up lol

That won't do, I've only got 4 pints worth of free tickets.

On a more serious note, a look at the site statistics using "my assistant" reveals that at least 4 new members within the last 24 hours have made posts today. Is this our normal recruitment daily quota or has the publicity Stuart0742 and Old Canny Street Kid have gained for us in The Star helped increase this figure above what we would normally expect?

I suspect that the advertising has increased what we normally get and the fact that the new members are posting is even better. It's like Sheffield History's second birthday present to itself to revitalise the site.

So once again well done on this achievement Stuart0742 and Old Canny Street Kid.

On a more serious note, a look at the site statistics using "my assistant" reveals that at least 4 new members within the last 24 hours have made posts today. Is this our normal recruitment daily quota or has the publicity Stuart0742 and Old Canny Street Kid have gained for us in The Star helped increase this figure above what we would normally expect?

I suspect that the advertising has increased what we normally get and the fact that the new members are posting is even better. It's like Sheffield History's second birthday present to itself to revitalise the site.

So once again well done on this achievement Stuart0742 and Old Canny Street Kid.

Having done a quick search using the sites MEMBERS / ALL MEMBERS / JOIN DATE / DESCENDING then including those still being validated 23 members will have joined today compared with between 4 and 6 in recent days.

A good measure of the success of being given a write up in The Star perhaps?

Excellent stuff Stuart - perhaps we should make all the admins post their photos! lol

Excellent stuff Stuart - perhaps we should make all the admins post their photos! lol

We want to encourage new members, not put 'em off! lol