That Tower

mike142sl

There have been a few pictures of 'The Tower' as it creeps closer to the sky.

Here's mine, taken this morning whilst photographing something else for work - it just caught my eye and looked quite nice with the back lighting.

There have been a few pictures of 'The Tower' as it creeps closer to the sky.

Here's mine, taken this morning whilst photographing something else for work - it just caught my eye and looked quite nice with the back lighting.

You must be able to see the Tower from all over Sheffield now, here it is from the footbridge of the former station at Brightside

20/01/09

You must be able to see the Tower from all over Sheffield now, here it is from the footbridge of the former station at Brightside

20/01/09

Somehow, just like the cheese grater it stands next to, this building is gradually growing on me.

Just as Sheffield redeveloped in the 1960's with icons like the hole in the road, underpasses and walkways in the sky it seems that now, after a couple of decades of decline that the City is once again taking on a modern, futurist look. I am not prepared at this stage to denegrate the appearance of these buildings and I think, because it can be seen all across the City it will become a latter day icon. After all, those other tall concrete distinctive icons, the Norfolk Park Flats, have been destroyed and they looked quite good as "tall towers" dominating the City skyline.

Old and New as opposed to Then and Now.

The new tower through the old Flats

Great picture

When Park Hill flats are fully renovated then it will be new and new.

Just hope the City planners don't miss the opportunities to revitalise the appearance of the City.

Guest carlie167

Brilliant photos there.

This is one took last Thursday, looks like they're working on the inside, how would you feel about living up here?

I would like it and think of the views!! out of my price range though. :( :(

Guest SheffBlade

I'm not a fan of heights but I think I'd be OK up there once it's all enclosed. I saw some pics on Flickr taken from up there (or up the cranes anyway) a few months back. I'll try and dig out the links

Loving all these views. I might go and take some more today

Great set of pictures SheffBlade, a bit like those in the "recent developments thread they certainly show how the tower has "grown" in height over the last 6 months.

Guest SheffBlade

Great set of pictures SheffBlade, a bit like those in the "recent developments thread they certainly show how the tower has "grown" in height over the last 6 months.

Thanks. It's quite nice to document it in photographs. I'm currently doing the same with Park Hill redevelopments too (not sure if there's a thread for that on here?) even though I hate it and wish they'd knock it down lol

Thanks. It's quite nice to document it in photographs. I'm currently doing the same with Park Hill redevelopments too (not sure if there's a thread for that on here?) even though I hate it and wish they'd knock it down lol

A Thread on the revamping of Park Hill , SheffBlade .. Park Hill Flats, Look at them now...