Wicker Arches

dunsbyowl1867

I love this print - wish I had a pound for every time I've passed through here.

Available in various form from here

http://www.eb-prints.co.uk/

I have a numbered print that takes pride of place on my dining room wall. It's there to remind me of home :)

I have a numbered print that takes pride of place on my dining room wall. It's there to remind me of home :)

So do I! I also bought my mum a square plate of the same off ebay for a few quid produced by Wedgewood or one of the others.

I love this print - wish I had a pound for every time I've passed through here.

http://www.eb-prints.co.uk/

I wish I had a pound for every time I have seen it in customers house's....

Its almost a nailed on cert that in houses belonging to older customers, I get to see either that picture or the Geoorge Cunningham picture of Commercial Street.

Speaking of which....has anyone noticed on that picture, one of the trams is painted red!!

This links in with the thread running on the transport section about green trams I suppose. Anyhoo if you see the print of Commercial Street you'll see what I mean.

I wish I had a pound for every time I have seen it in customers house's....

Its almost a nailed on cert that in houses belonging to older customers, I get to see either that picture or the Geoorge Cunningham picture of Commercial Street.

Cheeky beggar! lol I have 3 George Cunninghams too!

Only three Cunninghams!!!!

Call you self a Sheffielder....tut tut.

Seriously though, I'm not knocking them its just a fact.

Have been in three houses today that have a brace or more of Cunninghams on the wall.

Had a good look at the red tram one in a house in Heely this morning and I think its meant to be a Rotherham tram given the logo of RCT on the front and the destination display saying Rotherham. But I thought their trams were blue?

Only three Cunninghams!!!!

Call you self a Sheffielder....tut tut.

Seriously though, I'm not knocking them its just a fact.

Have been in three houses today that have a brace or more of Cunninghams on the wall.

Had a good look at the red tram one in a house in Heely this morning and I think its meant to be a Rotherham tram given the logo of RCT on the front and the destination display saying Rotherham. But I thought their trams were blue?

I thought they were green. If it's a Rotherham tram going between Rotherham and Sheffield they only had one end for the driver and could not be driven from each end. Info from From Wikipedia The tramcars used for the Sheffield-Rotherham service were equipped with only one entrance and staircase and like on traditional double-decker buses, seats were made to be comfortable.

I have a friend at work whos paintings are well known in Sheffield.

Mick Rick can be found most Saturdays in front of WH Smiths in Sheffield selling his prints of Sheffield.

Go on guess where it is.....

Was I right!!

Not a bad guess that one! It was the bridge that gave it away..I think its still the same today.

ps. Your friend is very good

I was interested in the authenticity of the various Busses and Trams in the picture and was told the time period was wrong for those particular Busses and Trams to be together by a member of the Transpotation Museum. I have the picture on the wall of my workshop here in the US reminding me of those long cold days from Rotherham to Sheffield on the number 69.

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA

I was working on the Wicker yesterday afternoon and its the first time I;ve got out of the car and had a wander round down there for years...and hasn't it changed!!

I was going to the building which used to be the Station pub right next to the arch its self and found that most of the Wicker is now a bus lane only and no other vehicles are allowed on it.

I had twenty minutes to kill so I had a look round some of the arches and they are great...there is one you can drive into to access the rear of the others and in it there is some old (very old ) furniture and the remains of someones workshop on the wall. I wished I had took my camera.

I used to carry it with me all the time but I have recently changed companies and where I used to have a pretty secure van with no windows in it (great for hiding expensive camera gear) I now have a normal car, so I'm reluctant to leave it on show.

I think in a few months time when all the work has finished down there I'll have to pop back and take some pictures on a weekend.

Hi Hjdary my little fuji has given up working so lately Ive been using the camera phone there are some great ones out there. The phone always goes with me so with one flick of the cover it is in point and shoot mode instantly 2Meg and with a 2 gigabite card you can get loads of photos on including all your favourite music.

Just remember that when you say to yourself I wish I had my camera. ;-) I always have mine.

Sue

The whole area of the Wicker Arches and Bridgehouses is being redevelopped. I love those arches - the central one over the Wicker is MASSIVE. I reckon it has to be one of the biggest arch spans in the country.

Anyone know the artist of this?

A. Pigeon RA ?

Must have been to get that viewpoint before helicopters were invented ;-) It's a strange picture.

Guest bus man

Very strange first thoughts:

The tender looks very odd dont think the artist as ever seen one

Two tracks on wicker arches - surley more tracks than that ?

Think some of the buldings look odd

Very strange first thoughts:

The tender looks very odd dont think the artist as ever seen one

Two tracks on wicker arches - surley more tracks than that ?

Think some of the buldings look odd

That's how some artists work,

It was never intended to be an exact copy,

an illustration like that gets people talking.