An "Angel of the North" for Sheffield....?

Guest tsavo

Eon has offered £500,000 for a sculpture or structure on or near the site of the late Tinsley Cooling Towers. What would you like to see at the Sheffield Gateway alongside the M1?

Link to The Star, 19.01.2008. http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sculpture-39...l-of.4888822.jp

What about a sculpture of 2 cooling towers, life size and a sort of concrete colour

A pair of lifting tongs & a pen knife, set on a grindstone

What about something similar to the statues in Meadowhall? Get some real men over the M1, not some fairy figure like you see up in know where!

I like the Grindstone idea; huge mind you and more than £500, 000 ... I also like the Cooling Towers idea, a giant crucible or model of Brian Joicey's kneecaps.

If you're going to do it, make it big, make it bold; something to make you know you're coming home, or arriving - just like the Towers did. No-one will agree on what, but let Sheffield folk have a say, knife isn't politically correct I don't suppose ... something made of steel - from Germany ...

<Hides>

This is NOT good publicity for Sheffield made steel sculptures.

On GMTV yesterday morning was an item about Manchesters massive piece of sculpture, "The B in Bang", a giant explosion made from an array of steel poles made and assembled in Sheffield.

However, the B in Bang is apparently soon to become the B in Bin because although the sculpture is only a few years old it is already rusting and starting to drop to pieces in very dangerous manner as some of those steel poles are in danger of dropping off and hitting someone. The sculpture has already been reduced to minimal access with its underneath fenced off and Manchester are considering having it dismantled and either put into storage awaiting repairs before reassembly or just scrapping the whole lot.

GMTV carried out an interview in the streets of Manchester near the sculpture and it looks like the scrapping option is most favoured, most Mancunians spoken to hated the sculpture, thought it was horrible and considered it a total waste of money.

Not good for a piece of sculpture that was actually made here in Sheffield.

At the risk of sounding to out of line, why bother? £450,000 for a consulation, just to get a donation £500,00 from E.on why not say no thanks, spend the £450,00 on something useful, like renovating some of the classic buildings in Sheffield, and let E.on use the 1/2 mil to lower customers bills?

So it looks we will be getting a giant football then .. :angry:

The Star

Professor Harold Kroto got his first degree in Chemistry at the University of Sheffield in 1961

His pioneering work on the chemical Buckminster-Fullerene,along with others, got him the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1986

As the chemical structure of Buckminster-Fullerene resembles that of a football made up of linked pentagons and hexagons of carbon atoms and was originally callled "Footballene" This structure will probably represent something other than football to me as a chemist.

Are you trying to make me feel really old, Dave? Harry Kroto et al won the Nobel Prize in 1996, not 1986. I remember it as I was doing research in London at the time and was still an avid reader of scientific periodicals. I was thinking, as I read your post, is that really 25 years ago :o . It was the mid 1980s when C60 was discovered, but as is the way of these things it took a long time for the Nobel award to be conferred.

One thing which puzzles me about the report in The Star about the sculpture is the line "a celebration of the club's forthcoming move back to its original home in Olive Grove". I was not aware of Sheffield FC moving: they have only recently developed their existing ground into a decent non-league venue.

So it looks we will be getting a giant football then .. :angry:

The Star

I some how forgot that "Football" is the only thing Sheffield is famous for

I see this ending as a joke like the "Pop Industry" museum was, another thing Sheffield is famous for

Not impressed

Are you trying to make me feel really old, Dave? Harry Kroto et al won the Nobel Prize in 1996, not 1986. I remember it as I was doing research in London at the time and was still an avid reader of scientific periodicals. I was thinking, as I read your post, is that really 25 years ago :o . It was the mid 1980s when C60 was discovered, but as is the way of these things it took a long time for the Nobel award to be conferred.

Sorry madannie I meant 1996, - my finger slipped onto the adjacent key while typing it.

I wish Stuart had spotted my error instead of you as recently in another topic he made exactly the same slip and I had a little go at him about it.

He also caught the 8 instead of the 9 in a year date.

However his was the second digit of the year and not the third, so instead of being a decade out like me he was a whole century out :o

One thing which puzzles me about the report in The Star about the sculpture is the line "a celebration of the club's forthcoming move back to its original home in Olive Grove". I was not aware of Sheffield FC moving: they have only recently developed their existing ground into a decent non-league venue.

I have asked a few of my Derbyshire workmates about this as the current ground of Sheffield FC is not even in Sheffield!!!! :o:blink::angry:

It is behind the Coach and Horse pub on the old A61 Sheffield Road in Dronfield.

However, it seems it is true that they are planning to move back to Sheffield, where they belong, and to the site of their original ground at Olive Grove.

Now the location suprises me because the site is currently either a main bus depot or the council road gritting depot.

I can't see either of those being moved.

I some how forgot that "Football" is the only thing Sheffield is famous for

I see this ending as a joke like the "Pop Industry" museum was, another thing Sheffield is famous for

Not impressed

Sure I have said it before but a pop industry museum needs to be in a place that has made an outstanding contribution to popular music.

OK, Sheffield has played its part and has turned out some great groups over the years, - so have many other towns and cities.

But only Liverpool has excelled in this field and seems the most logical place to have a pop museum.

There was a time in the early 1960's when Liverpool had more groups (around 400) than the whole of the rest of the country.

There was also a time in 1964, during Beatlemania but after the fab four had made it in America that A&R men from record companies were signing up just about anything that was any good from Liverpool, on a world wide scale Liverpool had become associated with music just as Sheffield had with steel and cutlery.

Now as for football, fans all over the country will argue endlessly as to which has the best team and who should claim the football fame for the country.

Sadly it would not be Sheffield, Manchester would probably top the list here, or even Liverpool again, or, heaven forbid, one of the London teams.

I have asked a few of my Derbyshire workmates about this as the current ground of Sheffield FC is not even in Sheffield!!!! :o:blink::angry:

It is behind the Coach and Horse pub on the old A61 Sheffield Road in Dronfield.

However, it seems it is true that they are planning to move back to Sheffield, where they belong, and to the site of their original ground at Olive Grove.

Now the location suprises me because the site is currently either a main bus depot or the council road gritting depot.

I can't see either of those being moved.

I was certainly puzzled by the Olive Grove bit for the same reason. It also seems odd to me because the Coach & Horses ground is the first one Sheffield FC have ever owned. I suppose another move would be in keeping with the nomadic existence of the club: in my football watching years I have seen Sheffield FC play at four different home venues, and in that time I know they have used at least two others.

I was certainly puzzled by the Olive Grove bit for the same reason. It also seems odd to me because the Coach & Horses ground is the first one Sheffield FC have ever owned. I suppose another move would be in keeping with the nomadic existence of the club: in my football watching years I have seen Sheffield FC play at four different home venues, and in that time I know they have used at least two others.

So a permenant site, owned by the club, back where they belong in Sheffield down at Olive Grove could be just what the Worlds oldest football club needs.

Not a lot to ask for when you look at what Sheffield Wednesday need in terms of £-millions just to keep them as a viable solvent club.

I understand that Sheffield F.C. have signed a lease on an existing sports ground at Heeley Bank Road, which is only in the general area of Olive Grove.

In one reference to the move the club apparently mention that they are moving back to the city centre from their present ground in the city suburbs. I wonder what the citizens of Dronfield make of that.

HD

I understand that Sheffield F.C. have signed a lease on an existing sports ground at Heeley Bank Road, which is only in the general area of Olive Grove.

In one reference to the move the club apparently mention that they are moving back to the city centre from their present ground in the city suburbs. I wonder what the citizens of Dronfield make of that.

HD

Presumably the existing sports ground is the Sheffield Works Department Sports & Social Club ground: it is the only one i am aware of on Heeley Bank Road.

I wonder what the residents of Heeley Bank Road think of being described as "city centre": as accurate as Dronfield being described as a city suburb.

Presumably the existing sports ground is the Sheffield Works Department Sports & Social Club ground: it is the only one i am aware of on Heeley Bank Road.

I wonder what the residents of Heeley Bank Road think of being described as "city centre": as accurate as Dronfield being described as a city suburb.

That's the one, I understand the cricket club that played on there have been given their marching orders. The ground belongs to the council I understand.

HD

I wonder what the citizens of Dronfield make of that.

I know a lot people who live in Dronfield.

They consider themselves very much "Derbyshire" and would not like to be called a "Sheffield Suburb" at all.

But then again they do all have an S18 postcode.