An "Angel of the North" for Sheffield....?

Guest tsavo

I have re-read some of the earlier posts in this topic and thought about what sculpture would best represent Sheffield.

Perhaps we should keep a low a profile on this for a while.

Manchester had "The B in Bang" sculpture, which people either loved or hated, - I liked it

This was a steel structure which was made in Sheffield.

Clearly from its shape and structure certain points of it are under a lot of stress and strain as the weight of the steel "bangs" are only supported at the centre of the "bang"

Unfortunately the structure did start to fall apart, was considered dangerous and was dismantled.

Part of the blame for this seems to have been levelled at the company that made it in Sheffield and so reflects badly on the City

The B in bang

how about a statue of helen sharman britains first space traveller

Seriously guys, a statue of Joe Cocker would be nice, :) Think we should have something steel or silver related. Maybe a huge knife and fork, maybe a modern art structure depicting the biggest rolling mills in Europe (as featured in real life in the 60´s). Maybe just one of the many exquisitely manufactured silver objects from the 18th/19th century. I also would nominate a piece from Western Park Museum which I loved as a kid - a tiny, miniature pocket knife which had everything on it, including one of those things for getting stones out of horses´ hooves, but it was about 2 inches long in total. (so no good practically then :P )

I would like to see a world famous thing like a giant Knife and fork everybody would know they were passing through or arriving in Sheffield.

I would like to see a world famous thing like a giant Knife and fork everybody would know they were passing through or arriving in Sheffield.

Good on you Beech, let´s see a knife and fork. Except, I thought, after posting the idea, it would probably be taken as the world´s biggest fast food enterprise. Imaging the queues off the M1. The execution and placement would have to be thought about so it did not confuse people with, heaven help me, Mcsh----t place

Welcome to Sheffield History beech.

I would go along with a knife and fork, - stainless of course (no good if our monument goes rusty is it :o )

But it would have to be stamped "MADE IN SHEFFIELD" on the back ;-)

Wherever you go in the world you can always spot a Sheffielder if you go in a cafe or restrant.

While they are waiting at the table to be served they always pick the cutlery up and examine it in detail and look to see if it says "MADE IN SHEFFIELD" on it. B)

Welcome to Sheffield History beech.

I would go along with a knife and fork, - stainless of course (no good if our monument goes rusty is it :o )

But it would have to be stamped "MADE IN SHEFFIELD" on the back ;-)

Wherever you go in the world you can always spot a Sheffielder if you go in a cafe or restrant.

While they are waiting at the table to be served they always pick the cutlery up and examine it in detail and look to see if it says "MADE IN SHEFFIELD" on it. B)

You are so right, we do. AND it even beats Toledo, believe it or not.... :P

A 300 foot Joe Cocker scoffing a suitably sized pork-pie with Hendersons it is then ...

Seriously guys, a statue of Joe Cocker would be nice, Think we should have something steel or silver related. Maybe a huge knife and fork, maybe a modern art structure depicting the biggest rolling mills in Europe (as featured in real life in the 60´s). Maybe just one of the many exquisitely manufactured silver objects from the 18th/19th century. I also would nominate a piece from Western Park Museum which I loved as a kid - a tiny, miniature pocket knife which had everything on it, including one of those things for getting stones out of horses´ hooves, but it was about 2 inches long in total. (so no good practically then )

Funny- coloured coal he's sitting on? can't say I like it, but infinitely preferable to a football on an ice-cream cornet.

If they go for the figure, perhaps they could compromise on the knife and fork idea and make him of giant knives, forks and spoons like the dragon in the Millenium Galleries?

I've no knowledge of the dragon, but I like the knives, forks and spoons idea.

Are there images of the dragon please ? out of interest.

Thanks.

Funny- coloured coal he's sitting on? can't say I like it, but infinitely preferable to a football on an ice-cream cornet.

If they go for the figure, perhaps they could compromise on the knife and fork idea and make him of giant knives, forks and spoons like the dragon in the Millenium Galleries?

The Angel was much ridiculed initially, hated even.

It rode the storm and is now much appreciated and even loved.

Such is the way with large public art structures.

http://www.throapham-house.co.uk/throapham-house/things-to-do-2/performing-and-visual-arts/millennium-gallerycourtesy-museums-sheffield/#

Try this

How about a giant one of these - http://www.geograph....uk/photo/892582

Failing that, how about a short stretch of road without a pothole in it and you could get to drive on it.

I think we already have one of those at Kelham Island (which I think is where this picture was taken)

Unfortunately these icons of the steel industry don't seem to mean anything to the younger generation and they don't know what they are or what they were used for.

But for me, a Bessemer Converter is an ideal "Angel of the North" to represent our City and its industry.

But for me, a Bessemer Converter is an ideal "Angel of the North" to represent our City and its industry.

I think an electric arc furnace complete with wopping 60 MVA transformer would more fittingly represent our steel industry.

We did have Bessemers in Sheffield in the past, but they were mainly used to produce lower quality steels, referred to as "clog iron", rather than the special steels that Sheffield became famous for. Of course some-one had to produce the steel initially for it to be remelted as scrap in an arc furnace or in earlier days, a Siemens Reverberating Open Hearth furnace.

The very special steels for things like the bolts holding aircraft engines on, or turbine blades, were made in Induction Furnaces or Vacuum Remelting Furnaces.

The spectacle and noise made when a big arc furnace was "cogging down" on a load of fresh scrap would convince many people that the end of the world was happening.

I once took an old neighbour, ( a postman), on a visit to the gantry above a 120 tonne furnace, I had to take him for a drink after to calm his nerves. He tried to convince my wife that she should insist I got another job at once.

HD

At least the Football idea seems to have been forgotten thankfully

It's all athletics and Jess Ennis at present, Sheffield United have just renamed a stadium after her.

I think an electric arc furnace complete with wopping 60 MVA transformer would more fittingly represent our steel industry.

We did have Bessemers in Sheffield in the past, but they were mainly used to produce lower quality steels, referred to as "clog iron", rather than the special steels that Sheffield became famous for. Of course some-one had to produce the steel initially for it to be remelted as scrap in an arc furnace or in earlier days, a Siemens Reverberating Open Hearth furnace.

The very special steels for things like the bolts holding aircraft engines on, or turbine blades, were made in Induction Furnaces or Vacuum Remelting Furnaces.

The spectacle and noise made when a big arc furnace was "cogging down" on a load of fresh scrap would convince many people that the end of the world was happening.

I once took an old neighbour, ( a postman), on a visit to the gantry above a 120 tonne furnace, I had to take him for a drink after to calm his nerves. He tried to convince my wife that she should insist I got another job at once.

HD

Ageed, - but as a monument if people only just recognise the distibctive shape of a Bessemer converter I am sure that very few would actually know what any other type of furnace looks like.

Its not easy to find an image which represents the steel industry to everyone (not just Sheffielders who would be familiar with it).

A giant knife and fork just wouldn't do it, - people would just think it was an advertising sign for a cafe.

I see from the news this morning that the North East has a new attraction to rival the "Angel of the North"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-19458150

I see from the news this morning that the North East has a new attraction to rival the "Angel of the North"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-tyne-19458150

A landscape of a nude female form made from coal mining debris.

Officially it is called "Northumberlandia"

But, due to its origins, some locals are already calling it "Slag Alice" lol