Vicars Vicarages and their Churches!

dunsbyowl1867

Hiya fella thanks for the reminder, of the architect and the name of the churchwarden Mr Roach. The name rings a bell but I'm struggling to put a face to it. I sang in the choir at St. Pauls until it became all too clear that my vocal chords didn't need a voice coach so much as a whip and chair. I also enjoyed the cubs held in the church hall until British Bulldog gave me my first opportunity to try out an unconscious state and life without a tooth at the front. Eee the good old days lol

Mr Roach was a big man - always in a suit - black hair & Eric Morecombe type specs!

The vicarage for Christ Church Gleadless is still standing, on Hollinsend Road, opposite the graveyard. I don't know whether it is still in use as a vicarage, though.

Now for the dodgy memory bit (too much coal tar soap and Henderson's perhaps?)

I remember as a young child visiting the vicarage, probably because my teacher at the time was Mrs Roberts, wife of the vicar at the time. Perhaps this was a part of a school visit to the church - I can't remember that bit.

As I am not in a position to nip down and take a couple of photos, I shall add a couple of Picture Sheffield links.

Christ Church Gleadless

Vicarage

I would expect some present day shots to appear soon, courtesy of one of the many dedicated Sheffield Historians out there.

The vicarage for Christ Church Gleadless is still standing, on Hollinsend Road, opposite the graveyard. I don't know whether it is still in use as a vicarage, though.

Now for the dodgy memory bit (too much coal tar soap and Henderson's perhaps?)

I remember as a young child visiting the vicarage, probably because my teacher at the time was Mrs Roberts, wife of the vicar at the time. Perhaps this was a part of a school visit to the church - I can't remember that bit.

As I am not in a position to nip down and take a couple of photos, I shall add a couple of Picture Sheffield links.

Christ Church Gleadless

Vicarage

I would expect some present day shots to appear soon, courtesy of one of the many dedicated Sheffield Historians out there.

OK madannie, I think some of mine have been there quite a time

Christ Church Gleadless

The vicarage is still there but is well hidden these days by other buildings around it.

Guest mermaid

Yes that was the vicarage for St. Cuthberts. Some time in the 1990s a new and much smaller house was built for the vicar a little way up Horndean road. The old house was sold and converted into flats.

As well as the reasons outlined by Bayleaf for the size of vicarages, a CoE minister had a certain social status in the late Victorian era when most of these new churches were built and his accommodation was expected to reflect that status. In some cases the location of the church meant that the vicarage had to be sited in more salubrious surroundings; the vicarages for both St. Barnabas and St. Mary's churches, for example, were on the edge of the Kenwood Park estate.

I once lived in this vicarage and yes it was cold in the winter but nice to grow up with lots of room!!

On 18/01/2009 at 12:05, dunsbyowl1867 said:

St Cuthberts Fir Vale

The Church

post-513-1232280139_thumb.jpg

Well maybe not so luxurious!

post-513-1232280349_thumb.jpg

I think this was the vicarage

Here is Saint Cuthberts Vicarage from Barnsley Road. First one from a postcard posted 1911 and the now one from Google Earth.

saint-cuthberts_vicarage_1911.jpg

saint_cuthberts_vicarage.png