Vicars Vicarages and their Churches!

dunsbyowl1867

Not meant as a criticism but didn't some Vicars live in some luxurious homes here's a couple from North Sheffield. Anyone got any from elsewhere?

Christchurch Pitsmoor

The Church

The Vicarage

The old vicarages were huge! I went to school with the son of the vicar at St Cuthberts's, and visited the vicarage a number of times. It was really enormous, I don't know how many rooms, but all of them seemed immense after our council house. Inside though they weren't luxurious, usually a bit spartan, and freezing cold in winter! (I don't recognise the picrure, but it was a long time ago. The vicarage was the big uose on the junction of Barnsley Rd and Horndean Rd. Is that the one?)

One of the reasons for the size is that they are supposed to keep guest rooms for visiting clergy etc. Our church at Greystones used to be a daughter church of All Saints at Ecclesall, and had a clergy house next door, a modern family sized detached, for the resident curate and his family. However, when we became an independent parish, the diocese deemed it too small for a vicarage for that reason, and the vicar now lives in a larger modern detached house half a mile or so from the church.

The running costs of the old vicarages were very high, and many have been sold off over the years and replaced with more modest houses.

The old vicarages were huge! I went to school with the son of the vicar at St Cuthberts's, and visited the vicarage a number of times. It was really enormous, I don't know how many rooms, but all of them seemed immense after our council house. Inside though they weren't luxurious, usually a bit spartan, and freezing cold in winter! (I don't recognise the picrure, but it was a long time ago. The vicarage was the big uose on the junction of Barnsley Rd and Horndean Rd. Is that the one?)

One of the reasons for the size is that they are supposed to keep guest rooms for visiting clergy etc. Our church at Greystones used to be a daughter church of All Saints at Ecclesall, and had a clergy house next door, a modern family sized detached, for the resident curate and his family. However, when we became an independent parish, the diocese deemed it too small for a vicarage for that reason, and the vicar now lives in a larger modern detached house half a mile or so from the church.

The running costs of the old vicarages were very high, and many have been sold off over the years and replaced with more modest houses.

Hi Bayleaf- that's a shot of the back of the house from Horndean Road which is why you may not recognise it. ;-)

St Cuthberts Fir Vale

I think this was the vicarage

Yes that was the vicarage for St. Cuthberts. Some time in the 1990s a new and much smaller house was built for the vicar a little way up Horndean road. The old house was sold and converted into flats.

As well as the reasons outlined by Bayleaf for the size of vicarages, a CoE minister had a certain social status in the late Victorian era when most of these new churches were built and his accommodation was expected to reflect that status. In some cases the location of the church meant that the vicarage had to be sited in more salubrious surroundings; the vicarages for both St. Barnabas and St. Mary's churches, for example, were on the edge of the Kenwood Park estate.

All Saints Pitsmoor

In the reference books I have this church is usually called 'All Saints, Ellesmere Road', or 'All Saints, Brightside'.

from Odom Memorials of Sheffield

All Saints' Church, Ellesmere Road

The Vicarage House in Grimesthorpe Road, formerly the pleasant wood-surrounded mansion of Mr. W.J.Horne, merchant, was purchased in 1875 by subscription, assisted by a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commisioners.

Hugh

Well spotted. and the one above it are of Christ Church vicarage on Pitsmoor road.

The vicarage to All Saints, described as 'Mr. W.J.Horne's mansion' on the corner of Grimesthorpe road and Carwood road was formerly known as Hall Carr House. It seems to have been a very modest mansion.

Well spotted. and the one above it are of Christ Church vicarage on Pitsmoor road.

The vicarage to All Saints, described as 'Mr. W.J.Horne's mansion' on the corner of Grimesthorpe road and Carwood road was formerly known as Hall Carr House. It seems to have been a very modest mansion.

Thanks Hugh & Gramps for you contributions.

Hugh yes I accept that the All Saints Church can be described as Ellesmere , or Burngreave (or even in the township of Brightside Bierlow) I was more interested in the geographical location of the Vicarage (especially as the old church has been demolished). As you can see from the map below I think Pitsmoor is an apt description of its location. I took my photos after dropping down a set of steps off Scott Road which I would call Pitsmoor.

Gramps I know the difference between the 2 vicarages and I'm not sure you are correct about Hall Carr House - unless there were two as you can see on this map they both appear and I would suggest they were not the same building.

Gramps I know the difference between the 2 vicarages and I'm not sure you are correct about Hall Carr House - unless there were two as you can see on this map they both appear and I would suggest they were not the same building.

Indeed you do - it's me that doesn't, so sorry about that. :( I had it in my head that All Saints' vicarage was demolished when they built the new estate. I think there was some controversy about retaining it at the time.

The old Hall Carr House definitely stood on the west side of Hall Carr lane, which became Carwood lane. The later Carwood road was put in between the lane and the house and seems to have taken some of the grounds in the process. Which is why the house is now so close to the road

The Hall Carr House shown on the Godfrey map seems to be the property named as Hall Carr cottage on the 1850s map.

But....I could be wrong about that too :unsure:

Guest simon38

Not meant as a criticism but didn't some Vicars live in some luxurious homes here's a couple from North Sheffield. Anyone got any from elsewhere?

Christchurch Pitsmoor

The Church

The Vicarage

Don sparks was the vicar there in tha 70s and 80s with his wife and kids.I have been inside there many times both down stairs and up stairs and to his daughters party in the celler.I had a huge crush on the daughter at the time and she did not act like a vicars girl.lol but the place is huge inside.

Don sparks was the vicar there in tha 70s and 80s with his wife and kids.I have been inside there many times both down stairs and up stairs and to his daughters party in the celler.I had a huge crush on the daughter at the time and she did not act like a vicars girl. lol but the place is huge inside.

That would be the notorious Ailleen? ;-)

Christchurch Pitsmoor

The Church

The Vicarage

When they knocked down St Pauls church Arbourthorne (East Bank Road, between Berners Road and Pearl Motors garage) they left a cross and a vicarage.

There is a vicar (actually a vicaress, if there is such a thing, a female vicar) as I have seen her at a number of funeral services at City Road Cemetry.

Although St Pauls is now part of "The Beacon" in the old Fellbrigg pub, shared with St. Leonards chuch from Norfolk Park which was previously just a prefabricated building, it would appear that at least one vicar once had a vicarage and no church while the other probably had a private accomodation (a vicarage) which was much more luxurious than the prefabricated shed which was the church.

Dunsbyowl - When you are in the area with your camera, the big house at the top of Firth Park Ave and corner of Windmill Lane was for the vicar of St Hilda's. I remember going to a garden fete there as a child and winning the fancy dress competition. Dressed as a hula hula girl - my mum had stained me brown with gravy salt and water! In the severe gales of 1962 the vicar's wife was killed there I think when the roof fell in. I believe the house below was for the vicar of St Thomas's Brightside.

One day I will catch you lurking around!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn

Dunsbyowl - When you are in the area with your camera, the big house at the top of Firth Park Ave and corner of Windmill Lane was for the vicar of St Hilda's. I remember going to a garden fete there as a child and winning the fancy dress competition. Dressed as a hula hula girl - my mum had stained me brown with gravy salt and water! In the severe gales of 1962 the vicar's wife was killed there I think when the roof fell in. I believe the house below was for the vicar of St Thomas's Brightside.

One day I will catch you lurking around!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn

Thanks Lyn I had wondered about that house you mention - I'll have a look if I have photographed it before. St Hilda's looks so sad & open less than a lifetime.

I've read about the vicars wife before- will look it out.

(I'll keep me eyes peeled!)

Heeley Vicarage

Built around 1862 at a cost of £1,500 - demolished ?

New houses now stand on the site and a new vicarage

was built further down Gleadless Rd. (nearer to the church)

Some Heeley Vicars:

H Denson-Jones 1846-1888 (moved into the Vicarage 1862)

W Odom 1888-1916

S A Miller 1916-1920

A E Duckett 1920-1927

W A Kendall 1927-1948

D Howes 1948-1953

D R Jenkins 1953

Looks like all that's left is a gatepost

On paying a recent visit to Christ Church, Heeley

I discovered that H Denson-Jones (Heeley Vicar 1846 - 1888)

was laid to rest in Heeley Church yard,

though his grave is in bad repair.

I was also pointed to the grave of William Odom,

Honorary Canon at Sheffield Cathedral

and Vicar of St Simon's Parish (1878 - 1888)

Later to become Vicar of Heeley (1888 - 1916)

I was also told by my good friend Ken who is a lay preacher at the Church,

that the old Vicarage was damaged by fire in 1939 and all the original

BMD records stored within were destroyed.

Though Ken did not have a date of demolition of the Vicarage,

he seemed to think it was pre 1967.

Guest 30_degrees

My earliest recollection of any Vicarage was the very prozaic St Pauls at PX. before I started down the road to Christianity the vicarage was used as a surgery for giving the dreaded innoculations deemed necessary at the time, for me 1956 ish. As young as I was I remember the front door and the blinking huge and sharp syringe. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

The church it's self was quite modern with a boundry wall with a gate in the bit running parallel with Wheata Road. I was walking home from Colley one afternoon with my brother and one of his mates (no names to protect the embarrassed) the mate was walking on the wall, when he got to the gate, a steel affair with two horizontal plates and round bar uprights and wet from recent rain, he decided to walk on top of the uprights when... his feet slipped... and he fell with... a foot either side and well; you can imagine the scene (Soprano's singing on high) much agony followed by a long time in hospital and a lot of stitches. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes too :blink: :(

My earliest recollection of any Vicarage was the very prozaic St Pauls at PX. before I started down the road to Christianity the vicarage was used as a surgery for giving the dreaded innoculations deemed necessary at the time, for me 1956 ish. As young as I was I remember the front door and the blinking huge and sharp syringe. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

The church it's self was quite modern with a boundry wall with a gate in the bit running parallel with Wheata Road. I was walking home from Colley one afternoon with my brother and one of his mates (no names to protect the embarrassed) the mate was walking on the wall, when he got to the gate, a steel affair with two horizontal plates and round bar uprights and wet from recent rain, he decided to walk on top of the uprights when... his feet slipped... and he fell with... a foot either side and well; you can imagine the scene (Soprano's singing on high) much agony followed by a long time in hospital and a lot of stitches. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes too :blink::(

Hi 30 Dregrees - I remember St Paul's very well as I walked past it every day on the way to & from school. I'm sure you know its claim to fame is it was designed by Basil Spence - the architect who designed the New Coventry Cathedral. My headteacher at Concord Middle School, Mr Roach, was a churchwarden there in the 1970s.

There is a photo on here - see photo no 6.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/p...000/8221111.stm

Guest 30_degrees

Hi 30 Dregrees - I remember St Paul's very well as I walked past it every day on the way to & from school. I'm sure you know its claim to fame is it was designed by Basil Spence - the architect who designed the New Coventry Cathedral. My headteacher at Concord Middle School, Mr Roach, was a churchwarden there in the 1970s.

Hiya fella thanks for the reminder, of the architect and the name of the churchwarden Mr Roach. The name rings a bell but I'm struggling to put a face to it. I sang in the choir at St. Pauls until it became all too clear that my vocal chords didn't need a voice coach so much as a whip and chair. I also enjoyed the cubs held in the church hall until British Bulldog gave me my first opportunity to try out an unconscious state and life without a tooth at the front. Eee the good old days lol